1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I would think this is the year we could be " Sellers" ... Realistically, Who could we move, and get what in return?

We need to start recouping some assets ( we already lost a 4th, 5th, and 6th ) but could regain ( a 3rd and 5th ) if we're going to possibly get our next QB...

Haden: 4th-5th?
    Washington: 5th?
    Ebron: 6th- 7th?
    Ingram: 6th?

Others? Thoughts?

2. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I can't see Washington on this list with Juju being out

3. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Why? They hardly even use him!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Haden - 6th
    Washington - 6th
    Ebron - 7th
    Ingram - 5th

5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    They are 3-3 and still technically in the hunt. Don’t see it personally.

If they beat the Case Keenum led Browns next week they are 4-3 while they should be getting healthier

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t expect them to make the postseason, but I dont expect a fire sale at this stage either.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    To me trade are done for 1 of 2 reasons (in season). If a team is a true contender and needs to fill a spot or they are a player away from going all the way. We are not that team for sure. 2nd reason a GM is trying to make changes to win to save their job. Colbert is not that GM. He is one foot out the door at this point. Colbert has done a lot of great things over the years but he's a lame duck GM at this point. Honestly don't think he will be her much longer.

Just my 2 cents.

7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Those are reasons why a team might trade to add help for this season, but the OP is focused more on the Steelers being sellers. I just don't see them doing it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I'm not really sure that "buyers and sellers" at the trade dead line is an annual thing in the NFL like it is in MLB and the NHL. Not saying it hasn't happened, but teams are generally against giving up even low draft capital for an over the hill vet or a journeyman player that might help.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Ebron nets a 7th? :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    If the Steelers were to make a move at the dead line it would be an attempt to improve the team for this season. Not necessarily for the future.

The standard is to win now. Even when things look hopeless there is always a chance. Even if there isn't a chance to make the post season or win a Super bowl how can anyone quit as a professional? Building for the future is also an important factor in team continuity.

I don't know how to exactly nail this home to folks. Players and coaches are performing for jobs.

Ok, Ok, Ok, the Steelers don't quit for trolls, Tomlin hater agendas, or for any other reason. Is this clear enough?

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    we are the Steelers.

not the Pirates.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The Steelers are not quitters. Even when Cowher had down years I recognized the development and growth of the team. I suspect that's because those players and coaches didn't quit.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Fans thinking the Steelers are going to be sellers :facepalm:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    A good franchise keeps an eye on both the present and the future. The only one they would think about moving on that list is Washington. The others are currently starters, definitely not trading Ingram, they probably would like to extend him.

They are down a lot of draft picks, move Washington if you can, especially if his snap count is the same as last week when they play again. If he’s the number 3 next game, then you can’t.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    6th and 7th rounders are for the most part not worth a lot. UDFAs are more talented. The seller is basically shedding payroll. I don’t see an unusual amount of that activity for the Steelers this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I highly doubt that we trade anyone away. NFL is seeing more trades this past few years, but nada like baseball or hockey. Steelers are still in the hunt, therefore, they won't make a trade, unless it's to boost the current roster.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Hey leave my BUCS out of it:) 61 wins baby, Takes the Steelers 6-7 good years to match that win total.;) The way the NFL is going,at some point they may try for a 60 game season.

• Like Like x 3
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  18. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    The NFL already has more basketball-type scores than baseball scores.

(High school / college scores in the 30s and 40s, not the NBA. It will take more scheming to get football scores into the 90s.)

• Like Like x 1
  19. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
  20. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    The problem with the NFL, in terms of trades, is that the deadline comes too soon in the season. Very few teams are really out of the playoffs compared to other sports where the trade deadline is later in the season. If they moved it to after week 12, for example, you'd have more teams willing to be sellers and more teams willing to be aggressive buyers.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  21. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Much as I'd love them to be, no way they will do that after winning 2 straight, no matter how unimpressively. I just hope they don't do anything stupid and create more dead cap money in 2022.

• Like Like x 1
  22. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Washington I believe stays and finishes his time here because of the Juju season ender. But, might be able to fetch a 5th though.

Benny Snell Football fizzled but get rid of him for a 7th.

Ingram is not going anywhere nor is Haden.

Steelers current 2022 draft picks
    1st Round pick, 2nd Round pick, 3rd Round pick, 7th Round pick, 7th Round pick (NYJ)

The Steelers currently only hold four of their original 2022 draft picks. Most importantly they still have a pick in each of the top three rounds, but if something catastrophic were to happen and the Steelers missed out on all other awarded selections they would have to wait through three rounds before they made another selection.

Draft Picks the Steelers dealt away
    2022 4th rounder to Miami - used to trade up for DL Isaiahh Loudermilk

2022 5th rounder to New York Jets - used to trade for LB Avery Williamson & 2022 7th rounder

2022 6th rounder to Jacksonville - used to trade for LB Joe Schobert

The Steelers acquire three total players (and one selection) for all the picks they dealt away. Of the three, only Avery Williamson is not currently on the roster (or any roster). The Steelers used their 2022 fourth-round pick to acquire a 2021 fifth-round pick where they selected Isaiahh Loudermilk. Loudermilk has been surpassing expectation at Steelers camp and has played well in the preseason. The Steelers most recent deal was to acquire former Pro Bowl line backer Joe Schobert from the Jaguars. Schobert Is on a big-ticket deal but due to the trade the Steelers wouldn't incur any dead cap by releasing him at any point of his deal. Basically the Steelers landed a top-end player with four team option years on his contract (this was a serious fleecing).

Compensatory selections the Steelers are projected to receive
    Qualifying Losses
    Bud Dupree ($16.5 million/year): Third round
    Matt Feiler ($7 million/year): Fifth round
    Mike Hilton ($6 million/year): Sixth round

Qualifying Gains
    Joe Haeg ($2.3 million/year): Seventh round

Because of the signing of Joe Haeg, the Steelers loss of Mike Hilton gets scratched out of the compensatory formula. However, if Haeg does not play 25% of the offensive snaps in 2021, it is possible he falls out from qualifying as a seventh-round gain and the Steelers could get that compensatory selection for Mike Hilton back. But as we stand in this moment, the Steelers are only due a projected third and fifth round compensatory selection.

Total Steelers selections
    1st Round
    2nd Round
    3rd Round
    3rd Round - Comp
    5th Round - Comp
    *6th Round - Comp (If Haeg falls out of qualifying status)
    7th Round
    7th Round (NYJ)

As we sit here in this moment, the Steelers don't have a fourth or sixth round pick, but have a total of seven selections.

• Informative Informative x 8
  23. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
  24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    There is a reason that the deadline is set for before teams realize they are out of contention. If the trade deadline was pushed back to week 12, you would have contending teams loading up their rosters just before the playoffs. A team like Detroit, or New York, that is 2-10 at that point, would be all to willing to part with established talent in exchange for draft picks. Moving the deadline back would be awful for competition. Imagine the shady week 12 deals the Patriots would have made over the years if the deadline was week 12.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2