1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

3:10 to O.T.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by takenoprisoners1, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    He's upset that anyone dared criticize Tomlin.

Tomlin is free to notice and say "Hey Ben, run some clock", but then that would mean he is actually on the details, which he never is.

2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Drove me up the wall. When they would get up to the line of scrimmage and do a quick snap we kept saying that's another 20 seconds for Brady.

3. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Any rational and impartial criticism of Tomlin is warranted (as should be the case with anybody). This isnt one of those instances. As I mentioned b4 we're talking about a 17 yr veteran (who should know a lil something about watching the play clock and controlling the snap count in situations like this) which is why i brought up Vontaze Burfict. How many times do you think Marvin Lewis told this guy to keep his head in the game and not let his emotions get the best of him, yet he would anyway??? I'm telling you theres only so much you can do about player IQ. Clearly you're a miracle worker or know it all since you assume much and have no idea of what communication took place between the two which means your comment is neither impartial or rational since you dont know facts. You just found another occasion to be annoying.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    no he didn’t and neither did you. Clock stopped on 1st and 10 with 3:10 to play due to the injury to Taylor. When they resumed play Harris ran off right guard for a pick up of 10. 1st and 10 again with the clock still running the ball is snapped at 6 seconds. Another run by Harris picks up 6 or so. Harris hasn’t even gotten up from being tackled and the clock is at 2:10 and still running.

5. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    You smokin crack? lol You can criticize Ben for a lot of things... but this is just laughable. Many (if not all) teams have someone in charge of clock management. Us included. The Patriots had lip readers, code breakers, and video folks...they certainly had someone as a clock manager.

Yes you definitely can expect one off the coaches to tell the QB to watch the clock and run it down when it makes sense to do so. The QB has plenty of other things to worry about...like getting the play call to the team and thinking about what he actually has to do to run the called play. Not to mention the formations, possible audibles, and reading the defense. This type of feedback goes to the QB and to every player for that matter AND needs to come from the coaching staff throughout the game and not just the clock. Ever listen to the sideline chatter between coaches and QB? Maybe Tomlin has someone that should have told the offense to run the clock down... but this is absolutely a strategy issue that any QB would expect the coaches to have thought about and communicated. Either you never actually played the game past 6th grade or you forgot how the game is played when you are the one actually on the field. Saying this is the QB's job is moronic. It was not a matter of seconds to end a game... it was 3+minutes and we had the ball and needed to score. So that's alot of time to be thinking about...when you can call TO's , spike the ball, run out of bounds, etc. Heck the official could just call a timeout to help one team out of a jam and force OT.

There is one point that I don't think was brought up but I'm not sure we want Ben doing long counts with our O-line trying to run the clock for 3 minutes. These guys have to lead the league in false starts... which is typically a symptom of : getting your butt whooped and not being comfortable with your assignments on the called play. I'm not saying this is an excuse because it's not...but we could have got our selves into penalty trouble managing the clock like it should have been managed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I give credit to Tomlin when it is warranted which is very seldom. HIS clock Management is horrid and believe it or not that includes his knucklehead 17 yr veteran QB (who I happen to support to great lengths). It is up to the HC to get his players in line with how to properly play the game in the best way possible towards earning a victory. If the NFL future HOF QB can't figure it out on his own then stone faced Mikey needs to get in his ear and make sure he can understand the situation. Problem is, the HC is worse at situational football and clock management than his boneheaded QB is at times. He should also make them aware that when an opposing player catches the ball in bounds with about 7 seconds on the clock down by 3 in FG range that you don't hurry up and get off that player so that they can run back to the LOS and spike the ball for the game tying FG try.

I'll try and explain it in simple terms. We have an NFL HC that can't get players at that level to do things that other coaches have been teaching at High School levels. To me, that is frustrating to no end. Like I said before, I praise Mike when he deserves the kudo's but it is few and far between.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    So game Planning and Clock Management 101 basically goes like this:

The quarterback, in particular, should be cognizant of time use and check in with the head coach or offensive coordinator to find out what tempo he should use for the next series. He should be thinking of the same things the coaches are: wind, score, and overall game scenario.

To say the quarterback has too much going on to process 3 min left up by one score is asinine. Yes there are staff and coaches who are available to assist and teams should be practicing these scenarios constantly, but to say a QB is without fault here is totally ridiculous. If you're up by one score, and you know your opponent has all or some timeouts remaining... this is a given.

I tried to see if I could catch a replay of the game to see if I could verify for myself if the clock management was as bad as implied, but if strummerfan's analysis is correct then this may be much ado about nothing and someone just stirred up a hornet's nest for nothing. We'll just have to agree to disagree whether a QB in that situation bears a lot, some, or none of the blame. Imo you dont need to have played or coached period to know with that much time left up by a score or less how to control the clock. The only reason I'm looking to the sideline is to confirm what play to call, or if a TO is needed if it's gotten to a 3rd down situation and we want to make sure we're sure about what we're going to do.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  8. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I too noticed the running clock and ball being snapped with 24 seconds. Having said that, they ran the ball and made it to 2 min warning. The problem came in the next play, 2nd and 5 and they throw it. Should’ve been a run. If it wasn’t a run, should’ve been a high percentage pass, it wasn’t. Should’ve went to a receiver that understood the situation, it didn’t. It went to Claypool who was called for OPI. All of which could’ve been avoided if they ran on 2nd down. Either clock ticks away or you for e Seattle to burn a timeout.
    Had they gotten 2 or 3 yards, then 3rd down is more likely successful. A first down uses up the clock and ends with Boz winning the game. Situational football that must be schemed better by the coaches. Blame Ben? Sure, but the buck stops with the coaches.

9. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Because...Tomlin is a terrible Coach! He is! That's HIS job! His job is to do exactly what the OP said he should do! An Internet poster on a message board has more sense than a Guy running a supposed marquee NFL Franchise!

I can't wait until the day Tomlin is gone! Continues to blunder week after week with NO repercussions, and continues to get away with the ole " who's better? .500 seasons in a row Bulls***

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1