1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What happened to James Washington?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Oct 18, 2021.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Not if they re-sign JuJu :hehehe:

• Like Like x 2
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    :facepalm:

3. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Even for TOMLIN this is utterly disappointing. How this staff could think we are better with Ray Ray for ANY matchup just sounds so ignorant

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm still laughing.
    That was Very Good.

5. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think that talk about wanting to be traded during training camp pissed some people off.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Could very well be it but dumb nonetheless.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Apparently Washington is healthy. Tomlin said his lack of snaps was matchup related. That doesn’t add up, to me.

8. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Washington had his best year in 2019 when Ben was hurt. Not sure what all that means. But yeah let’s sit a guy who has a career average of 14.5 per catch second highest on the team. Claypool is first at 14.7 ray ray mcloud is 7.7 Juju is 8.6 Johnson is 11.1.

so Tomlin and Ben are 100% correct, ray ray is the closest most obvious choice to duplicate JU JU’s production.

9. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Well it really does, Ben can not throw accurate deeper throws nor can he throw to the spots to protect players he really never has..So the type of WR Ben needs is tough,quick twitch or Bigger and Stronger,, JW is none of these he is a complete WR but doesn't fit those molds a bad matchup for Ben..

Probably why he wanted out ? I think JW is good and I think the Team knows it and as such they said stay here be quiet and just wait we will save you for the time when you can shine.. He is my bet as next years breakout player and will become a top VET WR in the NFL..

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am not sure what is happening here, JW needs touches. He probably isn't kissing
    #7 ass. When #7 goes away next year> James should be our #3 WR depending on what Juju does.

11. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Can’t see James wanting to come back to Pittsburgh given that he is an unrestricted free agent in 2022, and that he has seen the field so little over the years as a Steeler. I suppose if Ben retires and they see a bigger role for him in a different offence maybe he could be convinced to come back on a one year prove it deal. More likely he just moves on however.

Juju is going to be in an interesting spot, he clearly likes it in Pittsburgh given that he turned down the Ravens and Chiefs to come back, but the uncertainty at QB is bound to see him look at other offers more seriously next offseason. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t regret coming back at this point

12. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    upload_2021-10-20_12-38-7.jpeg
    Quote from Hilliard.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    This guy bounces around a lot and all for lateral movement. Not a very good sign and doesn't instill a lot of confidence.

upload_2021-10-20_13-3-58.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I saw that and just reeks of incompetence. If it was because of the injury then say that but his explanation doesn’t cut the mustard. Basically we forgot we had James.

I have to believe they are shopping him and he is injured so they don’t want that out there.

15. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Trading players in-season is basically an admission that you’ve given up on the year. Can’t see them doing it personally, if they were 1-5 maybe you could justify it but they are not out of the hunt yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Trading a #4 receiver is an admission of giving up on the season? Don’t agree with that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    In fact, he takes the blame - seems like he's throwing himself under the bus to keep everyone from noticing the emperor with no clothes.

BTW, I hope that was enough commentary to satisfy forum cops Glemm and Thorn, if not, let me know how I can improve.

(Just kidding, I don't give a fart in a phonebooth what <snip>)

*Mod Edit: Not necessary

18. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    With Juju injured it makes little sense to trade him if you have any playoff ambitions. What happens if they have another injury to Chase or DJ?

I’m not sure why they didn’t use him against Seattle, the explanations we have seen make no sense. I hope we see more of him from now on. I doubt he will be traded personally

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    We’ll find out next game but its very possible they like Ray Ray better and if that’s the case might as well get a draft pick for James while you can instead of losing him for nothing. This team isn’t going to the SB and unlikely they go to the playoffs, unloading James won’t impact this season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    That’s what I mean, we all know that but are the team thinking that way? They don’t have the depth to trade James unless they are throwing in the towel. DJ and Chase have hardly been Iron Men and will miss games, Ray Ray offers nothing

I’d be surprised if JW doesn’t have a bigger role going forward. We will see, as you have pointed out

21. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    It takes two players for JW to get a reception. If Big Baby Ben refuses to throw to JW, then it’s still a waste of talent. Trade him while he still has value if they don’t plan to use him

22. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Something is definitely off here but how could they trade him now that JuJu is done? They would become so thin at WR. Ray Ray is a practice squad guy in reality

23. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I agree you are basically saying that a guy who has played football for years might have trouble grasping the concept of go here and runa slant route because he didn't practice enough? Ray Ray is Juju primary backup and you felt that trumps ability?

24. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    The fact that JuJu is the primary slot backup is a problem. Claypool is more suited there, Ray Ray is too small and not elusive enough.

The Steelers are mismanaging resources here.

25. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Hillard being new to the Steelers might be an acceptable reason for a game or two but he needs to be more assertive and get that type of things figured out. You can only fall on that sword so many times before you look incompetent.

I'd also be interested in knowing how much Ben wanting certain guys in certain places is messing with Canada and Hillards coaching. I'd still like to see Washington and Claypool outside forcing those safeties to commit while having DJ and PF maybe Ebron working that middle.