1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What happened to James Washington?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Oct 18, 2021.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He caught a pass early in the game, then I saw him standing on the sideline, I expected him to play a lot more snaps with JuJu out. Now we have to watch Ray Ray get all those snaps on offense :puking2:, if he suffered some type of injury they didn't mention it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah I don't get it either. I get when they brought in all the TE, but when Ray Ray came in His place...I just don't know:shrug:

3. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015

They threw him a water bottle and he dropped it. Got benched.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    Or maybe after one catch they wanted to get him a game without a drop?

5. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I'm genuinely curious for a real answer on this one? Too bad Pittsburgh media probably won't even ask. I love many things about that city, but the local writers/ TV guys are weak at best

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Every time I see Washington he makes a clutch catch… then disappears

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    There is a few players I have seen over the years that have received the same type of treatment as James Washington and not necessarily on the Steelers. They are not coming to mind right now except for one. RB Kevin Smith of the Lions if anyone recalls. I only remember this because I had him as a backup on a fantasy team. He would be healthy and the obvious choice to start given the other options and production of those other options but they just REFUSED to play him. Until suddenly he would get a snap, break off a 23 yd run and then poof gone, send his ass to the locker room NOW! It was strange. So I kept him on the bench, whatever my starters were doing well. And then I bye week comes and instead of starting Smith I start whoever else it was because Smith wasn't seeing much time REGARDLESS of his effectiveness. And OF COURSE he goes for 140 yards rushing, 60 or so yards receiving and scored 3 touchdowns... I think it was because of a game-time decision to sit Jahvid Best for a concussion.

So I am thinking well damn there goes 30 pts on the bench but he's gonna see a ton more playing time now so now I have a great flex option. And then he like NEVER touched the football in any meaningful way again... Just inexplicable. Me and the guys at work would make up conspiracy theories like he walked into the owner's office and saw "something" he shouldn't or he messed around and slept with the coach's wife or whatever other silly things... but they honestly felt just as plausible! Granted, I could be remembering this all wrong it was like a decade or so ago but the James Washington thing has just reminded me of it.

I agree with others who have noticed him make some clutch plays and I might even argue he has surest hands of the entire WR corps. I don't think he can move like Dionte but I know he fast and seems to be a solid route runner at least and a strong possession guy like that who can also stretch the field seems to be what we are missing on a consistent basis. It really does seem like every time he comes through with one, SOMEONE on the sideline who has a hook on him is like "What did I tell you about going out there and trying to make a name for yourself?? Sit your ass down!... Hey Ray Ray, you're on! For the rest of the game stay ready!"

I mean what gives?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He was nursing an injury leading up to the game, probably aggravated it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    That’s my guess as well. No way was he sitting because that was the game plan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    I hope that’s the case because Ray Ray shouldn’t be near a 3 WR set in the NFL

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Game box score

:cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    So annoying. I was excited to see him play. I believe he was in the slot for his 1 catch then never seen again. Makes 0 sense to me.

13. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Had to be because he wasn't 100% healthy. Next 2 weeks of rest should help out.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
  15. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Washington was dealing with a groin issue. perhaps they are letting him rest it? I dunno

16. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    It's because of the Rudolph/Washington connection. Only thing it can be. Washington seems nice and country likes to hunt. That's right up Bens alley.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Only 8 snaps it better be an injury related thing

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    If they were going to do a 3 wr set and not include Washington then I'd rather see PF as a slot receiver and Gentry as the blocking TE. Ray Ray brings tenacity but not much else.

19. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    We never know what goes on in practice that helps determine game-time plans and decisions. Maybe he sucks at practice.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    lol seriously? If Washington had as good of a reach as you, he'd probably be starting.

The guy has had ample opportunity to shine. Once he gets healthy I'm sure he'll get more opportunities. Johnson had terrible hands but seems to have corrected the issue. Hopefully Washington has corrected his lack of focus, poor route running, and inability to go get the ball. He has shown flashes but has never been consistent. A more logical guess would be Washington doesn't look good on the practice field. Don't think Ben and AB were buddies but on Sunday they acted like they were married.

The one thing I've noticed from Ben over the years is he has ZERO tolerance for poor route running. He loses his mind when WR's don't make the correct read on blitzes or they zig and they're suppose to zag.

21. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    If that’s the case then we should be looking for DJ’s and Claypool’s replacements because I saw some missed routes last night

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    He's been used incorrectly his whole tenure here like I've been saying since they drafted him. They thought he was going to be Tyreek Hill like. He's built like a FB, doesn't have Tyreek elite speed, and short. Yet, they continue to run him down the sideline all game and complain because he doesn't get enough separation for Ben and too short to go up for jump balls. Most of the catches he's made have been combat catches over the middle. That's why I've been saying he'd be perfect to fill Juju's role. He did once last night, makes the play, and then never sees the field again. Then they want to take our only legit deep threat, Claypool and put him in the role. I don't ge it unless they're trying to hide Washington so he's cheap to extend long term. I don't blame him for demanding a trade. Usually the Steelers get rid of players who don't want to be here and they don't even use him so why not trade him? Very confusing situation.

23. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    As others have said he was almost certainly held out due to that niggly injury.

I really hope they emerge from the bye healthy

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    What the heck are you talking about, they threw him one pass and he caught it.

25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Claypool drops passes, he continues to play.

• Agree Agree x 1