1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Ben is a Backup

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Last night we saw an epic duel that took OT to decide it, between Big Ben, a future HOFer and Geno Smith, a guy who many had no idea was still in the NFL.

And honestly, it was an even matchup between the two QBs. Both made some decent throws, both had plenty of bad throws, both showed a lack of pocket mobility and both made crucial turnovers that helped decide the game.

Stepping back, the fact that this wasn't a blowout win by the Steelers is indicative of where Ben is in his career. At this point, if Ben isn't retired, he really should be in a backup QB role. A QB who is capable of stepping in and managing the game with a lot of help from his defense (aka TJ Watt). Ben is Geno Smith at this point in his career. It's not an insult, just the truth. The fact that we don't have a successor lined up is a real problem.

Ben is a Hall of Famer, perhaps first ballot if not for his previous indiscretions, but he is who he is...not who he was.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    The Lava is flowing this morning.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Well, no one can say Benny doesn't post after a win anymore.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah, but it's always to remind us how bad we are.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    he's not even a backup, he needs to go love his wife and kids and ride off into the sunset, before anything else breaks in him. Love you Ben, thank you for the great years!!!

6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Has any HOF QB ever said, "hey I suck now and would love to be a back up QB"????

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  8. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I notice neither of you disputed anything he said.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    A backup? Not when your starter would be Mason Rudolph. Not who he was? No Shiite Sherlock. Who is? Toby Keith sang a song that would fit this situation……

• Like Like x 1
  10. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Truth.

He may be a backup caliber QB at this stage of his career. But sure as hell NOT a backup to the likes of the bag of D's at QB on this team - Deer, Dwayne, Dobbs. When Pitt cuts those 3 backups, I predict they won't get signed anywhere else. One merely has to look at the long list of former steelers backup QBs who were permanently out of the league when they got dumped by the steelers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    With a helmet this time

12. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I mean he may be annoying...but he's not wrong. We ARE bad.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I don’t think this team is bad. I think we’re a little better than average. Season’s only 1/3 over. There’s time!

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  14. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Benny. You ever happy? We won the game. Can you enjoy it even for a day? We know Ben's not what he was. Give it a rest

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Guess you missed his posts in the game day thread? Complete troll job with all the Ravens comparisons.

let people enjoy the win. Why the need to such a buzz kill?

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    The biggest crime about where Ben's play level is at is that this organization has had several years since he went down with an injury that was very questionable if he could come back from and if he would even be capable of playing at a high level or not. WE can debate all day long where his skill set is now but the fact that this team has done nothing for several years to plan for his retirement is the biggest indictment of failure. As soon as he went out for the season to have surgery on his throwing elbow in his late 30's they should have been making plans for a successor. Instead we are stuck where we are now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm glad you can find extra time from the Rats board and your love fest of everything Lamar to bash away here. BTW - Did you see all the wrong routes run by our receivers last night or were those on Ben as well?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. FeartheBeard

Oct 26, 2011
    Really? I truly wish I felt that way. I do. My friend just said to me we are a 7-10 team. I will be THRILLED if we win seven games.

19. FeartheBeard

Oct 26, 2011
    I did not see it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Hope springs eternal! If I went into a season thinking my team was going to suck and disappoint me, I might as well be a Charger fan!

• Like Like x 1
  21. FeartheBeard

Oct 26, 2011
    I went into the season with high hopes! I went to training camp and Ben looked great. It's hard for me to not get frustrated when I am looking forward to change and it's the same thing every year. I hope you are right and i will try to have a more positive outlook lol

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Same, I was hoping we’d get Ben from the first 11 weeks and not the Ben after.

I’m afraid it’s going to get real ugly from the Chargers game till the end of the season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Could be anything with this team as far as what is going to happen. I didn't think we'd be .500 right now, but we are. It could be real ugly or we could do great our next game in Stainland since they just got their azz kicked at home. I am taking each week as they come because we are a team that can beat or lose to anyone. In short, I have no idea what this team is capable of doing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Was it just me who thought Ben looked much better in this game? First half at least.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I say....Bull$hit.
    Same guy is saying how great Lamar is because they trounced the chargers....Lamar yesterday in that blow out : 167 yards 1 td, 2 ints. Wow....So because His team is great...Lamar is great.
    Only using Lamar...because I believe Benny is really a ravens fan.
    Some confuse Qb with team.
    Like all the people that said We should traded for Sam Darnold with His 7 ints, 5 fumbles . I guess it wasn't all the Jets.

In no way I'm I saying Ben is what He was, but He is still better than a lot starting right now.
    Do not confuse team with Qb.