1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin says it was an embarrassment

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Oct 18, 2021.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That the officials stopped the game to review that catch with a few seconds left.
    I’d imagine a fine is coming.

He’s right though.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't understand why they wanted to review that play. It wasn't even close, but it's not like it affected the game in any way, so I don't understand why Tomlin even cares.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I seen some piss poor catches not receive reviews but that was clearly caught and shouldnt have even been looked at because there was no change of possession. I suspect he is speaking for everyone in that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    time ran out and there was no kick and it didn't effect the game?

5. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Except time didn't run out. Geno spiked the ball with 1 second left.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I like the fire from Tomlin. He’s usually in control of his emotions. Was nice to see him let loose.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    yeah didn't happen. That whole series was a jumbled mess. The line never got set and players are moving as the ref spotted the ball. I don't want to speak before seeing the replay but it looked like some of the Steelers secondary were signaling that Seattle had extra men on the field. During all of this the refs are trying to halt play for the replay and not doing their jobs. In order for Smith to have spiked it that would mean that say it with me folks the play took place and therefore the previous play can't be reviewed. If it is reviewed then the ball hasn't been spiked and the offense can't move as they did even after the BS call to spike the ball. Let alone stop the clock and march their kicking team out there.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Unleashing hell

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  9. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    you might want to re watch. The snap got off but the clock ends when the ball hits the ground. Pretty sure they also were not legally set.

that said someone better tell our corners to tackle the WR in that situation. Dont just touch him and let him run back to the huddle. All anyone had to do was jump on the receiver and it was done .

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    If I sat down with all the game officials for an hr there is nothing they could say to justify why they had to look at that catch.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Id be very interested to see how the legal sports betting went on this game night. Wonder if ppl lost their shirts or made mad bank

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    We won twice.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. lamberts lunatic

lamberts lunatic Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm thinking Vegas called the refs. Lol

14. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe they could've spiked the ball in time. Maybe they never got set or would have been penalized thus ending the game.

But the fact is that it didn't look like they were going to be able to spike it in time. And the refs gave them a break.

Yes. GAVE. There's zero justification for reviewing that play. None.

Yeah. We won anyway. Doesn't make it right.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I brought this up On DK sports...they were talking about easy....I said even if it was the Refs would keep it close...2 bad our Defense help that in the beginning of the 2nd half

16. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Of course he gets fired up over something pointless. But when we legit get screwed he’s quiet. They got the spike off with 1 second on official clock so review didn’t even matter. Now Russell Wilson ran on the field to tell the guy to get up which he should’ve been flagged for.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Glad to hear he said that. He knows he'll be fined

18. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    At first I thought the same as you, but I've gone back and watched it and the line does get set. The issue is whether Tyler Lockett is lined up on the LOS, which Haden is pointing to. He does seem pretty far back, tbf.

But like @Ray D says, there was absolutely no need for the replay to happen. People saying it doesn't matter - it absolutely does. Calling a clearly unnecessary review 3 seconds before the end of the game is clearly grounds for complaint.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You might want to.

20. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    It distracts from the defense's complete and utter breakdown, allowing a sideline route in that situation.

21. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    If only we had a former DB coach as a head coach.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    This is the problem with replay and the “need to get it right”. You empower an incompetent bureaucracy and insist that they correct EVERY mistake and Right EVERY wrong, and you wonder why they overstep their bounds and abuse their authority. A lesson for us in real life.

Saw a similar thing in a college game a yr or two ago. A team that was behind with less than a minute to go on 3rd down completed a pass in the middle of the field. They had no timeouts, a review stopped play to decide the spot of the ball, was it a FD or not. With their usual bureaucratic efficiency, the review took an hour and a half and after they rules on FD, they took another hour to decide what time was left. The trailing team got forever to line up a couple of plays, rather than run a frantic 4th Down play. But a least the refs got a better grade because they didn’t screw up the spot.

I know people will squeal like little girls if a play goes against their team and isnt reviewed, but honestly I’m not sure replay improves the game or the viewing experience. You have to wait for Big Brother to tell you that you can celebrate your teams TD or game sealing INT. In either case, You’re either mildly or extremely pissed off.

23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Its not December yet

24. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    It's nice to see Tomlin animated for a change. That lack of fire/urgency is one of my problems with him. The lack of intelligent football is another - why in the hell isn't a D player lying on the dude who recovered the football?

All that said, my biggest issue with the league, and I have a lot, is how horrible the officiating is. It's absolutely awful. That's just another example in an incredibly long list.

25. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    i think two many men is reviewable but being set is not. I assume a penalty there requires a runoff.

• Like Like x 1