1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Our answer to drafting a QB isn't going to happen

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Oct 9, 2021.

1. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Agreed, I also think that the money would get in the way of acquiring him. The price to pay may be too high at this point for the Steelers.

2. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    CB will be a much bigger need - Pierre looks rough, Haden will be gone.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    After Haden is off the books they might be able to get a Steven Nelson type of CB in free agency.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Sure, this is Walmart, lots of them on the shelf.

Or are you talking about the Nelson who’s play declined and was cut?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  5. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    They'll probably bring in a vet backup and give Mason the starting job. They'll probably draft another QB in the mid rounds. In other words, not that exciting.

I could be wrong but I agree it seems uncharacteristic for the Steelers to go big in free agency or trade

I think it's going to be rough

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree...this is Probably what Happens, but it may not be so bad...We shall see how many of these so called Young studs Qb make the SB.
    All I can say is they better Hope they do it Before they Have 2 pay the Big Bucks 2 them, and that Cap space kicks in... if History shows 2 be true, or Things don't change big time in the future.
    Going 2 Be a lot of these Guys people think are so great.... be nothing but great in the regular season.

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

I have stated in perpetuity of which criteria is needed for the Steelers to draft players; doubly so in the First Round. I have stated such plenty actually; statements that have been 100% accurate since. I have not the foggiest in what other ways I can state such.

8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    The Steelers have one of the lowest active cap spends in the entire league going forward into the next couple of years. I don’t see why a deal for Rodgers is not financially feasible any more than for any other team. He would be coming in with a relatively clean contract that can be manipulated whatever way the acquiring team wants. Money should not be the issue.

The big stumbling block for me is what do Green Bay want for him. You can’t give up too much or you won’t be able to put the pieces around him.

Ive said it before on here, with an average line and a top 10 QB like Rodgers under Center this team is right in the mix for a title. Yes cornerback is going to be a worry but if they trade for Rodgers they should finally have an offence that can move the chains and score points and they won’t need an all world defence to shut out opponents in order to win. I’ll take that all day long.

9. TIMSBURGH

TIMSBURGH Member

Nov 25, 2017

• Like Like x 1
  10. TIMSBURGH

TIMSBURGH Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Rattler couldn't keep the job at Oklahoma. He has looked awfully poor this year. I think he's got Martinez sindrum a human turnover machine

• Like Like x 1
  11. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Soooo...two years of Najee wasted with subpar QB play. Neat.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    I have not seen it happen too many times that a team lost a franchise qb, and just drafted another and kept on chugging away. Usually there are some lean years in between. Being the Steelers, I look for them to go with Mason until he proves he can or he can’t. Then, in a better year for qbs, perhaps trade up and hope to catch lightning in a bottle as they did with Ben. The Steelers qb of the future is probably someone we have never heard of.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I believe players in college develop at different rates, and for some, their potential is still going vertical, even well after the draft. Some players may have reached, or are close to, their full potential when drafted and become ordinary to less than ordinary NFL players. Those whose potential is still on the rise, may get drafted way down on the list and then pass others who were drafted well above them. So Flacco may had more unrealized potential once he was drafted then say Tribinski or Tebow for example. Problem is, its hard to determine this as is the case with TBrady, AB, JRice, JHarrison, and so forth. The draft is a crap shoot and I am sure many are working their asses off right now for the next one. JMO>

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    This organization is based on historical protocols that vary little over the ages. Just like the uniforms, everything stays relatively the same because, historically, it has been successful. Even how we game plan and the team plays, there seems to be fundamentals that are unwavering and followed to the letter. With a HC in place for so long, this becomes more profound I would think as his staff go about doing things the way they have since MT tenure began (like loyalties to certain players, etc). Read somewhere that FA's that don't work out is why the historical method of building the team is through the draft. When they get away from that, it sometimes backfires. That is my 2 cents worth on a general philosophical eval of how this team functions. Not saying it needs to change, only noting how I perceive what it does. JMO>

• Like Like x 3
  15. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    The nature of free agency is that early buyers will get the better players, but also pay over the market value. (Sometimes a lot more.)
    By waiting until later in the process, the Steelers have to get lucky about how the players end up doing, but usually get more cap-friendly deals.

That means a bunch of misses, or depth players who fall off the team.
    But it also means sometimes getting quality players who just needed a new home.
    (See Bettis, Farrior, Clark, Haden, Alaulu.)

• Like Like x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So just draft a Qb because He's still there when we pick....Great

• Like Like x 1
  17. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Or trade up for a guy - we traded up for a linebacker. Or sign a guy like Rodgers or Wilson.

Trying to win a SB with a mediocre QB is not the way to go.

• Like Like x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ahhhh. The real reason You stick Up for Rodgers shows itself. The Man just lied 2 everyone outside of Green bays locker room, and Has been a cancer in Green Bay....but You still want the guy. LoL. Then When things don't work You can come on Here , and start a thread about Why does the Steelers have so many people as cancers, or trying 2 force their way out.:shrug:

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Trying to win with just a QB, no matter how talented, is also not the way to go.
    (See Rivers and San Diego. Or KC so far this year.)

I wouldn't want the team to make a Hershel Walker-type trade deal and end up with a Ryan Leaf-type QB.
    (That level of trade will probably be needed to get Rodgers, or to move up to an early 1st round pick.)

It was 50 years ago, but Noll picked Joe Greene first. And then waited until the next year to get the QB.
    Even then, it took 4 more years of drafting (including a poor 1973 draft) before the team found SB success.

With all the holes on this team, I don't think the Steelers best move in 2022 is to sell out to get a QB.
    (If the right one, whoever that is, somehow is within reach for a modest price, then sure go get him. But don't give up the farm.)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Totally Agree

21. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    I'll take 7-1 MVP cancer 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

• Like Like x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    The Packers welcome You then.
    Boy You sure do flip flop...one post ,or comment SBs are ,all that matters...now it's MVPs. LoL

23. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    This is nothing new to anyone but it might be instructive when considering the proficiency of the Steelers obtaining QBs to replace a true franchise
    QB

1983 - Cliff Stoudt
    1984 - 1987 Mark Malone
    1988 - 1990 Bubby Brister
    1991 - 1995 Neil O'Donell
    1996 MikeTomczak
    1997 - 2001 Slash
    2002 - 2003 Tommy Maddox

So if any of that warms the cockles of your heart then you have a lot to look forward to in the next few years. At no point did the Steelers acquire a free agent QB that worked out, nor did they trade up to get one. They hit the jackpot on Ben in 2003. Those are a ton of misses before they hit it right with Ben. The Steelers will not trade up for a QB. Next year they don't have the draft capital to move up so they will be picking probably in the middle of round 1 in a QB poor class. I don't know what the answer is but it looks like Mason Rudolph will be the next starting QB for the Steelers. Not crazy about it but there's not a whole lot that can be done about it. So some bleak years are possible in the near future. That list covers 20 years. So not looking real good at this point. But we shall see.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I screamed years ago, for the Steelers not to extend Ben 2 years ago,
    This is when Matthew Stafford should have been brought in. You will get a good look
    at Steelers next QB next Thursday when Pitt plays North Carolina on TV.

25. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    The first half of that dark era you cite above was before free agency. I hope you're wrong about Mason in 2022, I'd really like them to get him out of their system this season, or if by some miracle, discover that he really is The Guy.

Worst case is they try to limp along with guys like Mariotta, Brissett, Garoppolo for a few years. Either go high in free agency (Rodgers, Wilson), or draft a guy in the first round. Trade up if you have to. FFS, we traded up for the 2nd best off-ball LB in the draft in 2019.