1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

For Tomlin haters, I challenge you to name 10 NFL coaches you'd rather have

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Sep 28, 2021.

1. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    No, he included Pete Carroll!

• Like Like x 1
  2. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Well put. AR2 has unfortunately had this philosophy drilled into his head from his father and grandfather that deviating from is completely off limits. I really don't know what it will take to get through to him. Probably nothing. Tomlin will leave when he wants.

3. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    See he’s using reverse Jedi mind tricks he wants Tomlin here so he can fail but pretends to defend him.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Zac Taylor, and Staley :lolol:

6. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Asking average Joe message boarders to name 10 better coaches amongst 32 NFL teams as well as collegiate candidates is a hoot. Nobody knew Mike TOMLIN when he was hired……. NOBODY.

How anyone can still defend that he should be the head coach of this team is laughable. We are a **** show of epic proportions.

Here is my answer: anyone with a pulse. If nothing else to change the directory of this Titanic.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    There is middle ground between claiming that Tomlin is horrible and he has always been horrible and Tomlin is a very good coach and should remain in charge of the Steelers as long as he wants. Part of that middle ground is acknowledging that he is a good coach and he has had significant success in Pittsburgh, but it's time to move on. That is where I land. Based on the available evidence, that is the most reasonable position to take.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    You can’t ignore his regular season record and success and you also shouldn’t ignore the last eleven years of postseason and end of year failure. Middle ground rationale thinking is normally the correct way to view things. I myself get caught up in emotional swings with this situation because I have probably wanted him gone longer than most. I think what we are seeing now amongst other Steeler fans (some may be trolls) is a breaking point. Usually with that point anger takes over and rational thinking goes out the window. I’m just not so sure Rooney will actually make the move he doesn’t seem to see what most of us are witnessing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    This is where I stand also. He and Ben, while bringing success in the past, have went past their expiration date.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Pat Fitzgerald college I have mentioned him over the years many times.

Scott Frost, I still think he has what it takes. He is scaring me though. His teams can't seem to finish off.

11. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    It's about potential and freshness over underachieving and staleness. Few have Tomlin's record in the league, but his expiration date has long passed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Those guys might end up being better eventually, but they haven't come close to proving it yet. I think you are letting your frustration with Tomlin get the better of you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    What had Noll, Cowher, and Tomlin proven to be hired by such an historic, storied franchise? Should we have waited to hire them?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks. I was definitely a jerk, no hard feelings :drinks:

• Like Like x 2
  15. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I like this list. I love Sean McVay...but I'm a girl and he is hot so....;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He won't be unfortunately. Need a fresh approach. Out of Bullets? What kind of dumb @ss statement is that?

Who are you, Who Who Who Who

• Like Like x 1
  17. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I don't think the Steelers have a coaching problem, they have a talent problem currently. They just aren't talented enough in key areas.

But any way, Tomlin does deserve a good bit of blame for his December electric slides, and having only 3 playoff wins in 11 years and reaching the AFC championship only once.

Even still Rooney won't fire him. Tomlin would have to have 2-3 losing seasons before he would consider it. If anything you probably have a better chance of Tomlin get recruited away for big dollars (either other NFL team or college program), as Rooney is a little stingy on spending huge dollars on the coaches.

18. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Tomlin is overrated. He was lucky to fall into a sweet situation when Cowher retired ( he was exhausted and had no desire to coach after getting his super bowl) and left the number 1 defense in football when you were still able to hit people on the offense. To9mlin had a QB who was in his prime and a amazing o line and rbs. I will give Tomlin credit that he did not screw it up and won a super bowl and made another one. After that, he has underperformed the last decade. Very few playoff wins and teams always sputter at the end. He was exposed as a fraud when Belicheat depantsed him in the AFC championship during Tomlin best playoff run since 2010. The offense scheme is obsolete and a dinosaur compared to the elite teams in the nfl and the defense relies on amazing talent instead of scheme which means if any injuries occur, the crappy teams like the Bengals score at will. We will never and I mean never compete for another super bowl with Tomlin. Last time the Chiefs played us, they scored so fast and often I though the steelers rented a high school defense for the day. I have been a fan since I was 4 in 1974. I experienced the Bubby Brister era and we are entering it now. We need to be lousy this year and get a QB in the first round and then take o lineman with the rest of the picks because no one will succeed with the current losers on it.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    We aren't talking about a hiring process. We are evaluating current coaches based on what we actually know about them. That means going by the actual resume, not projecting what you think might happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The running back in the second Super Bowl was not on the roster when Tomlin took over the team. The offensive line was in decline after 2005 and the group Tomlin won with in 2008 was far from amazing.

He isn't as good as Belichick. That's the most legitimate point you could make. By that standard, 99 percent of the coaches in the NFL the last 20 years sucked.

I guess you think the injuries that decimated the defense the last two weeks are somehow Tomlin's fault, too. Sorry, but there isn't a defense in the NFL that wouldn't falter without players like Watt, Highsmith, Tuitt, and Alualu.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There is also a coaching problem. Tomlin is better than people on this thread are giving him credit for, but it's time to move on. Part of the issue is loyalty to assistant coaches who aren't good enough. Butler should have been fired years ago.

22. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    I don't blame Tomlin for the Offense being stale ( i blame him for alot of other things though). That is purely Ben and the organization placating him cause he doesn't want to learn anything new. One of the worst work ethics for a future HOF QB. Sad to think of what he could have been had he really cared about his craft and didn't rely solely on raw talent.