1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Good coaching can overcome injuries

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Sep 27, 2021.

1. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I don't hate him, but understand the frustration. Actually, our Linebacker drafting has been phenomenal. Shazier (pre-injury, Bush (pre-injury) and Watt were/ are great. If Shazier kept developing as he was, I think he would have been a HOF, as TJ will if he stays healthy. First round o-line and especially D-backs, you're right, have been putrid.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. lewisha

Dec 27, 2012
    Sorry meant D-lineman. Because as good as Cam has been, Ziggy was a waste. And even though we picked Jarvis Jones, the 2 HOF possibles, as well as Bush, Timmons outweigh Jarvis by alot, IMO.

3. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Jarvis Jones, Dupree was fantastic when it was time to get paid will he be great after he gets paid? Bush hmmm we will see. Shazier (unfortunate injury I was surprised how much we missed him). However the backups shouldn’t be that horrible

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Should have lost. Should have been a 10 second run-off with no time to attempt the longest FG ever in the NFL.

So you're saying that it's because he's such a great coach that they got away with one and had a guy kick the longest kick ever off the bar...or they're also sitting at 1-2?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    We wonder about you to. :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Tomlin doesn't hire his coaches really, it's a Rooney hire. Hairball will never win another SB, unless he can get another R. Lewis.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    What about him?

He's average too.

8. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Yup, revert to blitzburgh. With three of your starting five frontline players not playing. Yup, makes perfect sense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    In the case of Todd Haley I would say that's true. But who knows with the others. Just seemed like to me Cowher would tell Dan what he wanted to replace and Dan would be like ok go do it. Maybe Arts different in that aspect. Or maybe Tomlin needs somebody to cut up his food for him which isn't a good quality in a head coach.

10. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Butler, Bubbalicious, Canada (jury out), Porter, Lake, Munchak, who am i missing?

11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Lol I figured you might. But I can assure you when I compare the Steelers to other franchises it's in the interest of making them better. Just want to have a good feeling that the team is headed in the right direction and I haven't had that feeling in a long time.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    You're saying AR2 hired them all?

13. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Cowher: "me or him Dan"

Most of your posts don't involve Raven achievements that would get laughed at over on their board.

14. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Yes. Tomlin gets to fire them according to Bruce.

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Or because this is the second thread he has made praising the Ravens :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Benny is probably your alt account :hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
  17. lewisha

Dec 27, 2012
    I stand corrected. Using the same game plan that they had already used against Buffalo and LV, even though having inferior players starting, worked perfectly. Yup, that's why we are 3-0.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    If it were that simple to adjust game plan for injuries then there would be no point paying the star players.

To suggest injuries aren’t an issue is ridiculous.

At the same time, it’s fair to say it’s not the only problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. lewisha

Dec 27, 2012
    I agree to the first part, with a caveat; when you lose all-pro/ exceptional talent, and don't adjust the game plan, thats a problem. The reason you pay the high salaries is because they can do what the back-ups can't. If you lose starters, You can't run the same strategy and game plan with back-ups as you do with money talent and expect the same results. You have to adjust.

Agreed.

Agreed. The unwillingness to adjust strategy or try something different to reflect the abilities/ shortcomings of whose on the field is a big issue. The "we do what we do" attitude is a flawed one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    True enough. It seemed like Ingram was the only guy able to rush the passer against the Bengals.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Actually, it does. They were able to generate great pressure in the opener because they had Watt and Highsmith rotating with Ingram outside and Heyward and Alualu inside. Now that they just have Heyward and Ingram, their pass rush is severely diminished, yet they continue to try to get away with only rushing four. That doesn't mean they should send everybody on every down, but a little more aggressiveness and creativity with the pass rush would make more sense than what they have done the last two weeks.

Hopefully, they at least get some of their injured guys back this week. I posted this earlier, but they probably need Watt, Highsmith, and Tuitt to have a shot against the Packers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    At the very least she’s a Steelers fan trolling.

23. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    This is interested as Tomlin was a DB when he played in college, and his first job was a DB coach. Yet he can't draft a good DB...weird.

24. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Won close because of lucky bounce on an impossible FG attempt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Cam Sutton says hi

• Like Like x 1