1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Please answer this question as I'm interested in how the group sees things

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dominilate, Sep 27, 2021.

1. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    For the record I mentioned that the Steelers should move on from Ben as of 3 years ago. I saw many reasons why some of which I will repost below but here's what I want to know. I am appreciative of what Ben has done for the team but there comes a time when......

5 to 6 years ago there were maybe 4 QB's I would've taken ahead of Ben, those QB's were:
    Brady, Brees, Rodgers. I would not have even taken Peyton ahead of Ben in 2016 because Manning WAS DONE!

3 years ago there still were probably less than 5 to 6 I would take ahead of Ben:
    Russell, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Mahomes for sure, MAYBE Andrew Luck but that's it

Now my question is how many would you definitely take over Ben at THIS point in time, my list:
    Russ, Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Josh Allen, Lamar, Joe Burrow, D Carr, Justin Herbert, Kyler Murray, Matt Stafford, Dak, Goff, Jameis Winston definitely my MAYBE's
    Jalen Hurts?
    Sam Donald?
    Jimmy G?
    Carson Wentz?
    Teddy?
    Trevor Lawrence?

That's 14 ahead of Ben Definitely with 6 more possibly right?

Now, how much are we paying Ben? Does it make sense to you? What does your list look like? From top 5 to bottom 10? It's time to start new QB

Here's what I said last year btw (see below)

For the record I'm one of those who felt like our last chance to get to the Superbowl was the 2017 season (We lost to the Jaguars at home).
    It was sometime during the 2018 season i stated "Ben is Done". I remember catching flack then as if I were a Ben hater, far from the truth but I pointed to Ben's lack of leadership (players on the team past and present have directly and indirectly said the same thing. I heard the blame on Tomlin solely to which I disagreed with somewhat pointing to the 2015 season. Most remember we lost to Denver in the playoffs, most forget that AB missed that game with a concussion. A concussion sustained because Ben hung him out to dry with a high pass. People countered saying how Ben came back after being injured to win that game in Cincy, few will remember that he got injured trying to extend a play unnecessarily on 3rd and long and took a big hit when all he needed to do was throw it away.

2016 we had a chance but most will forget that Leveon Bell injured himself on the 1st series in that game against the Patriots.

2017 was supposed to be the our year even though Ben started the season with 10 Td's and 9 Interceptions including 5 in that 1st game against the Jags. In the end we lost again to the Jags as we NEVER fully recovered from Shazier's injury.

2018 we didn't make the playoffs with a healthy Ben

2019 I was encouraged that without Ben we went 8-7 (remember Ben lost the 1st game of the season. We did that with Mason and a QB named Duck

2020 can anyone dispute that we played a more competitive game in the final week against Cleveland WITHOUT Ben, Pouncey, and a few other starters. Remember the Browns HAD to have that game. That game came down to a 2pt conversion IN CLEVELAND. So how did we look so bad a week later at home against the same team with our starters? Those guys are not hungry and Ben holds back the offense and what we can call.

Pay close attention to the remaining QB's who are left in the playoffs and look at their skillset vs Ben. The teams that advance pay attention to the QB's. As I watch the Rams vs Green Bay im seeing both Geoff and Rodgers line up under center fake handoffs and bootleg, misdirection roll out of the QB, QB sweep passes to the RB from under center, accuracy on mid crossing routes. Both of these offenses and how the QB's SELL the run or pass with their body.

My point? We have to move on from Ben of we want to once again get to the next level. There's just too much limitation he has as a QB and im afraid it will hinder the next O Coordinator.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Among the QBs you listed off, give me Trevor Lawrence. His upside is truly limitless in every sense of the word. Just merely giving him an Offensive Line to work with is something that will benefit his game in unimaginable levels alone.

• Like Like x 1
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'd take Foles or Cousins if the price is cheap just as a band aid. I also think Bridgewater and Taylor could run things adequately if they built the team around Harris. Build a Cowher team and it will get them to the next one.

• Like Like x 3
  4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Mahomes and Herbert!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I want a 1st round drafted qb, yes Ben is done as the catalyst that gets us to the SB.
    The Cowher team would work great with a young qb. Defense, top, score, more defense.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Mason Rudolph. 5-3 as a starter in 2019

He looked good in the Cleveland game last year when Cleveland was in a must win game and the Steelers were resting their veteran starters. The team was able to rally around Mason for that game even though they were missing their best players.

Give Mason a full week of practice as the Starter, so they can design an offensive scheme around his skill set for that weeks opponent, and we will Win more games than we lose.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I am probably in the minority, but I think that with an above average o-line, and a 21st century oc, Ben could still win games.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The unfortunate reality though is the guy in charge won't do it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  10. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Everyone likes to :puking 4:on Rudolph, but your above point is very valid. Also, he was playing pretty well 2 seasons ago in Bens absence until he was decapitated against Baltimore. He didn't look right after his return and lost the job to Duck, but looked okay in a few games after that. Then there was Cleveland last year. I wouldn't be so quick to write him off. I think he's more than capable and would probably be, you know, coachable and run Canada's offense they way that is supposed to be.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ben had a O-Line last year and the Rushing was dead last. Ben finished 2-4. Including this year he is 3 -6 from Dec to current with 17 TD's & 10 INT's

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Mason doesn’t have an NFL arm. Can’t throw the 15 yard out with any real zip. That being said he probably is a better choice than geriatric Ben

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  13. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Its called "touch" and he deserves the chance to see if he has it. Not all starting MLB pitchers can throw a 100mph fastball. Greg Maddux was the best pitcher I ever saw in person growing up, and I don't think he could come anywhere near 100mph.

There is the entire middle of the field that the Steelers passing attack has been missing this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ravens_Fan_N_Pitt

Ravens_Fan_N_Pitt Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2018
    This place would **** bricks if y'all ended up getting Lamar Jackson. Lawrence has the most upside if he had the right pieces in place.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey bradshaw12.

It is no secret that I have been advocating for Ben to stay the past few years. Like you, I still think that he is adequate to run this team; IF WE HAD A FREAKIN' OFFENSIVE LINE (Duh!) Sure, Ben is not what he was 5-10 years ago. However, I think the biggest issue is that he has no confidence in this line and is playing (righteously) very "Uncertain" per se. He has thrown to the guys out there before with success. He is familiar with all of the "Pass Catchers" out there minus Freiermuth and Najee. And he is doing well with them so far.

Again, we all know it is the Offensive Line first if we want to list "What is Wrong" in today's episode of "The Pittsburgh Steelers' Woes".

I said this over and over in the Off-Season/Pre-Season and that is Ben and this O-line should have played in every Pre-Season game probably for two quarters or so. This is an entirely different O-Line than last year's. Every starter is brand new to the Offense. We all knew that there were going to be some growing pains across the Offense when an ENTIRE O-LINE IS REPLACED!.

Someone correct me if I am wrong here. I think that I read somewhere that the current starting O-Line did not play together for even one Pre-Season game (What?).

And please, for those of you that are going to yell at me about the "injury factor" when playing "meaningless games". The four Pre-Season games were not meaningless from the standpoint of Urgency regarding the building of Offensive Chemistry. When do we start that? Oh yeah, that is right, on Opening Day (Ugh!).

If that is the case, then what about getting hurt in practice? Non-contact injuries at that. Why not just play without the majority of our starters, hope we make the playoffs and then play them. I cannot think of a more justifiable case for the Starting Offense to play in every Pre-Season game then the scenario that we are currently dealing with.

Not yelling at anyone with the bold, caps and underlining. Just emphasizing some points and ticked-off as most here probably are.

STEELWINDS
    The East Side Kid

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Not really apples to apples a pitcher painting corners and changing eye levels compared to a QB floating a duck to the sideline being intercepted or broken up. Like I said to be fair I agree he should be given a shot and is probably better than Ben at this stage however he’s not the answer.

17. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    I don’t disagree but no other team plays starting units a half of every preseason game. Not the way the league approaches those games.

18. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Mason's "touch" is what i think gets him in trouble around the 10-20 yard range. Doesn't zip it in there, like geriatric Ben can't do nowadays. Floaters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Well, start training your young sons up!

20. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Rudolph lost his starting job to a guy who’s currently trying to land a CFL gig. He is not the solution

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I just remember his crazy scouting report when he came out.

Average arm strength in the class, but throws the best deep ball in the class.

22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Rudolph didn't really do much in that game until after the Browns built a 24-9 lead with just over 10 minutes remaining in the fourth quarter. It's not as if he carved them up all day.

The Browns clearly didn't know how to play with a big lead. They had the same problem in the Wild Card game, only surviving because they had a much bigger lead and the Steelers' defense fell apart.

• Winner Winner x 2
  23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The lack of a big arm really hurts him on the intermediate throws more than the deep ball. Roethlisberger still probably has a much better arm, but Rudolph is far more accurate throwing deep.

24. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    It’s sad that Ben came back seems like it was about greed. I don’t think he thought it was a solid team

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Nothing crazy about that. The deep ball is more about timing and accuracy than arm strength. He does have a nice deep pass, but so far he seems to lack the zip to throw darts over the middle or to the sideline on a 10+ yard out.

• Agree Agree x 1