1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2022 Draft

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jujubean, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Looking at the QB of the future and teams we could compete with for worst record in Football.

Jets won’t draft one
    Jags won’t draft one
    Lions could draft one
    Giants could draft one
    Colts I think will end up with a better record than us
    Bears won’t draft one
    Texans could draft one
    Washington could draft one
    Atlanta could draft one

lions
    Giants
    Texans
    Skins
    Falcons

5 teams that could finish worst than us
    And draft a QB

Lets say we finish in the middle of that pack

Rattler gone
    Willis (Liberty) gone
    Howell gone

Steelers looking at

Carson Strong
    Matt Corall

Obviously if the wheels come completely off we could get into the Howell conversation. Willis could fall also although I believe he is an athletic freak at QB

2. Timbrr

Timbrr Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Don't be shocked if we stay with Rudolph or Haskins. Draft will be offense lineman.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Desmond Ridder
    Phil Jurkovec

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    If we have a 4 win type season I can’t imagine they would pass up a top 5 type QB

5. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    None of these qbs look like world beaters tbh. If I had to pick one I'd go with rattler right now but I'm not sold on anyone. Their best bet will be going after Rodgers and deshaun.

6. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Watching some tape of this Carson Strong for Nevada and he looks solid could be a sleeper

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    None of the qb's in the next draft class give me the warm fuzzy's as of yet..... Games are still won or lost up front.. we need to find a stud O-lineman and NT within the first 3 rds...
    A TE to pair with friermuth and make Ebron expendable would be prudent as well.....

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Phil Jurkovec is a bit of a gamble now due to his wrist injury. Who knows how he will be come the draft?! Regarding the others, Malik Willis, Sam Howell, Matt Corral, Spencer Rattler and Carson Strong all have my vote for Round One consideration. Trade up if that is what it takes. No excuses.

Second options if the team elects to go somewhere else?! Kaleb Eleby, Kenny Pickett, JT Daniels and Desmond Ridder are all good bets. If anything, I personally will not be shocked nor surprised if a lineman is the pick should the season careen out of control.

Evan Neal anyone?!?!

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

You are in luck as this upcoming class has healthy amounts of both Guard and Tackle talent to boot. Kenyon Green and Evan Neal are not the only two players either.

Darian Kinnard, Zion Nelson, Trevor Penning, Tyler Linderbaum, Chasen Hines, Alec Lindstrom and even Daniel Faadale all just the tips of the iceberg of depth here.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Wonder if a change would work for Atlanta’s Ryan?

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I keep having the unusually, sneaking suspicion it will be!! Going to that Pitt/Western Michigan Matchup was no accident!! Granted, no major Offensive Line talent headed this way in 2022 but Kenny Pickett and Kaleb Eleby are good QBs. Not Franchise QBs..... on their own anyways. Give them a team and they could be.

I still want Ridder though if the Steelers are seriously giving Lineman consideration.

12. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I said this on the draft board and I'll say this here. Steelers got a plethora of holes from both lines to CB even WR. I'm not opposed to drafting a WR in the first round. I'd stay as far away from drafting a QB in the first as humanly possible. I don't want the Steelers joining 5 other franchises that get into a cycle of drafting QBs in the first every other year. Let's build a team and then the QB be the final piece, much like how Ben was brought into the mix with Bettis and Hines. If this means struggling with Haskins or Mason next year, so be it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. woofermazing

woofermazing Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2017
    A team like the Jags would probably trade down for more picks since they don't need a QB. No guarantee someone's gonna fall into our laps.

14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They have had success finding receivers in the later rounds, it would be a mistake to draft one in the first round.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He's washed

16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    We have a draft forum for these kinds of discussions, the Bill Nunn Draft Room.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Steel I was thinking that when I posted. Just wanted to start something positive and upbeat and this is the best I got!

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  18. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Neal will be gone within the top 10, and I sincerely hope we aren't picking in that range except for a trade up...... Kinnard and faalele are the 2 I have my eyes closest on

19. Tanker65

Tanker65 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    I thnk O-Line and get a Trubisky/Mariota type or I guess suck it up with Rudolph/Haskins and see what we got (assuming they dont get the opportunity this year)

At this point in time there doesn't seem to be any Trevor Lawrence type players coming up next year. Plus throwing a rookie QB through the ringer with a busted O-Line would not be a good thing.

20. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I don’t follow college football so I don’t know who is coming out but this Steelers team just has so many needs. Quarterback, Tackle and Cornerback are huge needs for 2022.

Juju and Washington are hitting free agency as well so they need at least one receiver. Nose Tackle also a need in the mid rounds

They will have some money for once so they can probably solve some of their needs in free agency but they have to nail the draft. 2021 has the look of a season that is getting away from them but they have a lot of young talent and could bounce back relatively quickly if they make a few good decisions.

I expect that they will look back at this recent offseason with some regret and will probably wish that they had ripped the bandaid off.

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They have Carlos Davis on the roster still to play NT, this will be the most salary cap space they have ever had in 2022.

22. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I’d still probably like to draft a DT if there is someone they like, injury cover if nothing else, guys tend to miss time there. I expect Alualu may slow down, if he returns at all in 2022

Above all else they need to fix that offensive line, they’ll know by the end of the season if they can trust the young guys they have, go from there

The cap room they have will be easily spent

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree. Except Bettis (He only played 2 years with Ben, and not Much)was at His end, but the rest of the team....Yes:thumbs_up:

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If they do draft a DT it should be in the later rounds, their NT only plays about 35% of the snaps.

• Like Like x 1
  25. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    For sure, like I said, QB, OLine and Corner are the priorities

• Agree Agree x 1