1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

were they booing yesterday, and BLAME ROONEY

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mikeyg, Sep 27, 2021.

1. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I was in and out of watching that **** show (Ryder Cup and playing golf was much more fun!).

Did the fans (finally?) boo?

This is ALL on Rooney. He keeps the charade afloat, year after year. Won't fire an average at best coach. We entered the Steelers ice ages....Tomlin should have been canned years ago.

not been this bleak since mid-1980s.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Yes they booed and booed quit a bit.

Not going to be really pretty when the Steelers go to Green Bay and return 1-3, we really could be looking at 1-6 going into the bye week

Denver is at 3-0 , and Seattle with Russell Wilson plays well against us.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I will never root for them to lose games or advocate for tanking but the silver lining in a train wreck season is being able to draft one of the top QB’s.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Only problem is who can develop a young QB ? I’m not confident we have the coaches to rebuild from bottom up

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

We don't have the coaches to develop a young QB. But Ronney will probably give Tomlin an extension next week.

6. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I was so happy when they finally starting booing (and I really hate to say that) - They deserved. They were horrible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    How are your pre-season rookie predictions going so far? Looks like Green may be on track.

9. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Mad respect for you, AQL, but you're going to die on this hill. Yes, the Rooneys are a great family and, yes, they are far better owners than the Dan Snyders of the world, but Deuce has screwed up this franchise. The coaching staff is bad and the QB is terrible. If not for the great job Colbert is doing, the Steelers would be even worse. This is a losing season, which I would have welcomed if the rebuild had been done correctly, but it wasn't. They need to sit Ben now. They need to give Mason some games and possibly Haskins some games so they know what direction to take in the off season. Art won't let that happen though and his Pollyanna coach is all too happy to comply... right up until Ben is finally injured enough to sit. It should not have gone down like this.

Thankfully Colbert is scouting QBs, and hopefully he sticks around for a while as GM. Even more important is that the owner is finally able to see his mistakes and stop making them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Umm.....

If Art Rooney II really wanted to screw over the Steelers and their fans more, he would have made Big Ben's contract non voidable post 2021. Here in lies the kicker, he did not; same goes for Colbert and Omar Kahn, another important figure seeing to that Big Ben's contract is void able days after the Super Bowl. One final aspect to consider and, I have been on record in many times in stating this....

The reason why Big Ben was elected to have another year to play was a decision by its contrast; three options. Make a choice on said options. Big Ben sadly, was the best choice available. That said, I have also already stated, shortly after the game that, should this continue against Green Bay, bench him and ride it out with Mason to see what the team has...... except there is one problem.

The Steelers will never bench Big Ben as that all but means an effective white flag for the season. This franchise is far too proud to do that but pride based on what had happened during their first four decades of existence vs what happened soon thereafter. Now, if Big Ben is listed as DNP all week, expect Mason to get the nod. Until then, Big Ben is the starter.....

..... for worse or more abysmal unfortunately.

11. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    This isn't the Pirates board, yet, maybe? Did Chuck Noll leave on his own terms? Did Bill Cowher leave on his own terms? Mike Tomlin will leave on his own terms. Fans need to buckle up because we are in for a bumpy ride for awhile. Hopefully, Rooney II has enough of his dad's visionary in him to pick the correct GM to replace Colbert. Without a great GM, the Steelers will enter the ice age.

12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Ben was the best choice available because nothing was done to upgrade the situation. They've known for at least 2 years that Rudolph is serviceable at best. If Haskins was their idea of an upgrade then they're in denial about him. He was so bad in Washington the coaches questioned whether or not he knew how to read because he certainly couldn't read the playbook. They've known this QB situation was going to have to be addressed for years now but did virtually nothing to rectify it. The biggest move you can point to is they made the contract voidable of a player they never should have extended in the first place.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    I was there and the boos were loud

14. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    One of the biggest knocks on Tomlin is his inability to hire coaching Talent. Personally it looks like to me that he hires friends or people who are his guys rather than people qualified for the job. Sadly this is one of the Head Coaches biggest responsibilities and our coach is Terrible at it.

15. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    "If Art Rooney II really wanted to screw over the Steelers and their fans more..."

Who said Art intentionally wanted to screw over the team and fans? Don't do that. Incompetence doesn't denote intention.

"Big Ben sadly, was the best choice available"

That's just not accurate. Many of us said so after the playoff debacle. Retaining Ben was only preferable over something absurd like, I dunno, signing Andy Dalton. They could have gone after a project like Darnold, or a vet like Stafford, or moved up in the draft if they really liked someone, or even just given Mason and/or Haskins the season to find out if they are capable. There were other options too and several made more sense than bringing back Ben.

"The Steelers will never bench Big Ben... for worse or more abysmal unfortunately."

Well, there we agree. That statement is part of my problem and it's very troubling.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
  17. YoungstownSteeler

YoungstownSteeler Member

Sep 26, 2021
    If your not going to make a run it’s time to play young players and see what you have. But, I have no faith that this organization would take a QB with a Top 5 pick. I could see them taking an offensive lineman (which is needed) or corner (which seems like they are miserable at drafting) and running with 1 of the 2 QBs others on the roster.

18. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    No no no.. they were saying "Booooerns"

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Yeah but will they? Are they just going to reach on some bust like Edmunds trying to get a bargain in the 2nd or 3rd at QB? They need to get serious about finding an heir because Ben is done and we can't eat up a third of the salary cap on a QB who can't throw more than 9 yards and have to let good young players walk.

20. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    upload_2021-9-27_17-12-32.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    A shame how quickly some people jump ship on this team after facing adversity, injuries, and a couple of losses.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Define jumping ship?

How many games do you think this offense is going to win? It’s definitely not “varsity” level. They need the defense to heal up in order to have any chance at winning games.

Acknowledging they have major problems between the line and with Ben not able/willing to throw to certain areas of the field isn’t jumping ship, it’s seeing things for how they are.

All the rah rah and pom pom waving in the world won’t make them win more games, only the play on the field can do that and right now it is sorely lacking and with Ben at the helm, not very likely to improve.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. SteelersBane

SteelersBane Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2020
    Exactly! We want this team to be great, resorting to the rhetoric of "be positive or go to another team" is a tired act.

24. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Did you read some of the comments on this message board?

I understand the issues with the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s a hard cold truth that people don’t want to accept, the season is likely over already.