1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Where the heck were the fans today?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Sep 19, 2021.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I have never eaten at a Game before. I never realized food cost that much. I knew beers , and Water are overpriced.

2. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    You guys are acting like this is a new thing! We went to the Cleveland game in 2016 and it was the same thing, with staffed vendors!

I was able to go to the bathroom and grab something at the stand right behind my seats and barely made it back. (pretty much just sprinted) Wife didn't make it back until halfway through the 3rd!

3. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Many buy season tickets to sell for profit, not attend the game itself. Not sure what percentage do that but I think its a lot (not including corp ticket holders)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    :cry:

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Got 2 admit that does sound strange. :shrug:
    I don't know if it's true because I wasn't there, but if it is ....it's strange.

6. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Typical sheep - just follow the rules and don't think for yourself.

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ditto

I’m always in my seat at kickoff and to begin third quarter, and we never leave early. But I still pee and get beer or popcorn. I’ve been doing this so long I know when a ref is going to call a timeout before the ref does. I’m in the bathroom, and no one is there, I’m first in the beer line, and I’m back to my seat before the next play starts.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m thinking the lack of vendors is more a lack of people who want to work. Lazy asses are sitting at home because they are being paid to sit at home. I don’t think it’s the stadiums decision.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    It's been that way for years and its not due to concessions. Usually in the middle of the 3rd qtr, people either give up on the game or start leaving to get a jump on traffic. I've never understood it, if I'm going to a game I'm staying until the last minute regardless of traffic, weather conditions etc.

The funniest were the fairweather bandwagon fans in the 03 playoffs against the Browns. We were down 3 scores in the 3rd qtr and a third of the stadium left. Then there were tons of people arguing with security and fighting to get back in and upset they couldn't when the Steelers started rallying back and then ended up winning lol, idiots....

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  10. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I go to packed concerts where the band plays 2 sets and an encore. I have it down to a science of when to hit up the bathroom and grab another beer without hardly missing a beat.

• Like Like x 4
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I know of a few that were there yesterday ;)

• Like Like x 2
  12. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    10,000 no shows yesterday only 58K showed up

It's going to get a lot worse, with how bad the team is playing.

Pittsburghers only show up when the product is good. If the Pens stink no one shows up. No one going to Pirates games anymore for the obvious reason.

Anyway, I don't know that was a 5,000 drop over one week. If we lose to Green Bay which probably good chance that happens and we go to 1-3

I bet we have only 50,000 for the Denver game.

I did so much booing yesterday, probably the worse game I seen at home in over a decade.

That was the first time the Steelers lost back to back home games since 2003 BTW, also the last time they had a losing season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I was definitely in my seat at the start of the 2nd half

• Like Like x 1
  14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Part of me doesn’t get the no shows and part of me does.

15. bnasty23

bnasty23 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Just my two cents, It appears that the Steelers has more fans outside the city or state of Pittsburgh. I say this because, when I go to other stadiums to see my beloved team play, black and gold is everywhere and we bring the noise. I really do not care win, lose or draw. Yes, I am spoiled by the many winning seasons, but until we fall off the cliff I will not complain about the team. I am sure there are other teams complaining that has way more talent. Just look in our own division and how many years of crying.

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    If the team continues to tank it'll be quite a sight to see a half empty stadium at a home game...maybe that will wake Rooney up

17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’ve often wondered how many fans were from outside the area.

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    To add to this, I was talking to the seat attendant for our section who has been covering our section for a long time. She said she had to cover 3 sections yesterday due to the lack of people willing to work.

19. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    $$$ Post. You get the broadcasters with the Steeler fans travel well comment. Even in a mediocre season...its amazing how much hard core fans will take over a stadium at an away game.

I dont know if these are 3rd generation offspring that transplanted after 70s when industry was booming or what but it seems like you get 20 to 30K fans in a lot of these away games all crazed even after the game is over.

• Like Like x 1
  20. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    It makes no sense to me either. If I didn't use my tickets, and didn't attempt to sell them, I would always want to see somebody go, even if I'm eating the cost and some one gets to go for Free.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It's easily passed down. Some are Sons , and Daughters of transplants like You mentioned. :thumbs_up:
    I will never forget Stopping at Walmart in Arkansas before a game(I had forgotten something) and Seeing a Teen in a I. Taylor jersey. I said 2 Him very nice...He said His Great Grandfather was from Pittsburgh...So everyone on down had Grown up a Steelers fan.
    Happens 2 a bunch.

• Like Like x 1
  22. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    You can say that for almost every team. People fail to realize only 300k people live in Pittsburgh. That's half the population of places like Baltimore or Boston. So 1 out of every 4 people who live in Pittsburgh would have to go to the game to sell it out. I'd say a huge % of that 300k is working, attending, or watching the Steelers game.

Part of the problem is a lot of out of state fans have season tickets to go to a few of the big games. They get season tickets and try to sell/make profit off the boring games to hopefully pay for the 2-3 games they go to every year. People who live in Pittsburgh can get tickets for cheap or free from family or friends so they aren't going to over pay on one of these ticket sites. So basically these resellers are relying on traveling fans. Boring 1pm game + bad team = nobody traveling for that = empty seat. People with season tickets who live in Pittsburgh are doing the same thing difference is if they don't sell they will go to the game or give away the tickets so most the time that seat is filled.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1