1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Highlights from other teams show open receivers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It is perplexing how other teams can manage to run plays that produce receivers who are open. And I don’t mean “NFL open”, but no one within yards. Makes it easy for their QB. Ben is always throwing to someone with a defender on their back (and often one on his back or in his face). Is it scheme (Canada’s responsibility), the receivers (poor route runners), or Ben not making the right read (slow in his old age)? O-line not creating enough time for people to get open?

Probably too many factors for a quick fix, unfortunately. Could be a long season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Our receivers are always, ALWAYS, ALWAYS covered like blankets.

The shot of Rooney up in the box all alone says it all. He looked like he couldn't care less just as long as their are fans in the stands. Not saying he should be replaced but this teams hot seats seem to be stored up in Alaska.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    For real… receivers that are covered and drop balls half the time. I’m sorry they aren’t that great.

The drops bother me more than anything

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    If Art Rooney II really is as bad as an owner as some state on here, John Mara, Cal McNair, Shaid Khan, Arthur Blank, Daniel Snyder and even Jerry Jones all say "hold my beer". Yes, if AR2 truly overruled the decision to move on from Big Ben is correct, shame on him for certain. However, to state that he is as bad as the aforementioned others is short sighted and unfair. Those aforementioned have AR 2 beat by a Universal sized level; not laughably even close.

Art Rooney II's decisions within the past Off Season is definitely warranted of critique. However, he is by far and away as possible from being not just the worst owner but the most lackadaisical one in the NFL.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Steelers as a team have 2 drops, you know by who? Ebron and Washington with 1 apiece.

You know who doesn’t? JuJu, DJ and Claypool.

• Like Like x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. Guess someone didn't watch todays game. Because that blows what You just said all 2 Heck

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    per pff?

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I thought they had more my bad

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Per some blind MF.
    LoL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I was working, game on in the background, stats probably haven’t been updated yet.

Blown to heck? So they had like 15 drops today? I wouldn’t bet on it, I’ve seen that people don’t know what drops are here.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Ben's fault, can't wait to see Mason. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    They had just 3 drops in the last 3 passes. Just 2 give You a hint....When the Guys calling the Game say....Well when You throw 3 straight passes and all three are dropped....what do You expect out of the Qb. That was just a taste.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Didn't know You were working.

• Like Like x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
  16. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Harris had 2 drops on the last possession alone.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Getting back to topic about the Receivers, the Receivers themselves have not had a good season thus far to say the least. Some of these woes are clearly on them; concentration problems abound for all of them. That said, Eric Ebron is the biggest thorn here; dropping a total of four passes today. Given the fact that Canada's Offense is designed to have the Tight End be not just a security blanket but a seam buster as well, him dropping passes bodes well for no one. Receiver wise? It is fair to state that the entire Receiving Corps did themselves no favors today; Chase dropping two passes.

All that said, dropped passes need to be examined in entirety and not in a vacuum. Big Ben needs to place his passes in much better spots so those dropped passes do not happen as often.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Actually those I saw, the screens?

20. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Ben's fault. Guy is a former shell of himself, but still the best option.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yep; the sad truth in fact.

Until something major happens, Big Ben is still the QB... no matter how much that is looked down upon. That said, should he be on the Injury Report all week, not practicing at that, I would imagine that Mason gets the start.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  22. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I think mason is better than Ben right now, I mean that is until we see him play lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

At the very least, Mason can open up the playbook a bit. That said, he also is not very good hitting the deep middle of the field; only the sidelines it seems given his Pre Season action. However, even with Mason... one major issue seems more so relevant than the QB; the Offensive Tackle position.

Moore Jr, despite his lumps thus far, is a keeper.... just for the opposite side whenever he gets accustomed to it. Evan Neal on the other hand??? That is about as safe a pick as one will get in the upcoming draft. I would also say Kyle Hamilton but sadly, no need for him here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Ok, I'm thinking the reason for no separation and drops, still goes back to Ben. The defense knows that Ben will get rid of the ball within 2-3 seconds. So, they are playing the wrs short and tight. Claypool has alligator arms in short routes. And no wr wants to be teed off on.This is also the struggles in the run game. I've said this over the years as well. It wouldn't hurt to have an offensive coach with an Imagination/ Creativity

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    If he's not practicing, i would like to see Mason also.

• Agree Agree x 1