1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What a difference a week makes

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Sep 19, 2021.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Last week Steelers fans were feeling good about beating a top AFC team on the road, this week after losing the home opener there's nothing to feel good about, this is depressing with all the injuries happening now to the team.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    We got lucky last week and very few wanted to admit it. They actually called holds on the Bills. Bills went for it twice on 4th at midfield while winning. We actually got stops. Then won because of a blocked punt returned for a TD. That happens once every few years.

Offense looked the same in both games. Very average. Key injuries on defense in todays game prevented them from getting stops and carrying the team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    It’s week to week. Sometimes the talent and positional matchups over rule the inept offensive scheme. Injuries piling up on D can’t be helped but they are real life happening. The O scheme is the same old same... no situational adjustments and relying on the same old shotgun frustration formation in every imaginable scenario. It’s all just too easy for opposing D’s to just stay pat and watch the lunacy unfold hahahahahaha.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I feel bad for Matt Canada if the situation truly is you have to do what Ben wants to do.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Why? Canada should be using Ben's strengths. Get those te's open.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    You mean the arm strength he doesn't have?

How about the insistence that practically everything is shotgun?

7. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    that seems to be the lingo around here since forever. I don’t know if true but it seems despite personnel changes they fall back to the same scheme. It’s crazy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Canada was not hired solely to use merely Big Ben's strengths as a basis to rejuvenate the Offense. Canada was hired to use every Offensive Weapons strengths and create mismatches as a template to create said Offense. From the Offensive Game Plans standpoint, the current problems stem from the overall lack of cohesion of the Offensive Line to gaining any traction on the ground. Big Bens inability to hit the middle of the field is a major issue however. Why an issue?!

Problems like the growing pains of an Offensive Line can be solved with live reps. Issues like Big Ben's inability to use the middle of the field cannot be solved..... thus far. That said, perhaps adding Pat Freiermuth to the equation could help some as that was one of his biggest strengths coming out of Penn State.

Once the Offense can attack the middle of the field, expect the entire offense to get better.

• Like Like x 3
  9. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    he should be but unfortunately you can’t utilize them from the shotgun frustration formation they preach round heeyah

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Maybe if certain owners wouldn't stick their nose into affairs opposite what the general manager wants and force bringing back a certain QB whose skills have long diminished.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I keep hearing this.

Is this true?! No seriously though. I had not heard of it up to this point.

However and, sadly, that is not entirely my biggest concern. My concern stems from the choices the team had at QB leading up to this season; Ben, Mason and Dwayne. Of the three, which is the best choice?!

Sadly and, suffice it to say, Big Ben was the best choice of the three. So far, not so good.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    be nice to see. So in your opinion is that purely a Ben thing? I mean the only TRUE change we have currently is the tale of the line. New coordinator same QB same script.
    I know occasionally they will win inspire of a tired ass script because the talent is there but these tendencies are increasingly becoming easy to exploit without a schematic change to shift stuff up.

13. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    As far as what's out there it seems true. You could tell by Colbert's responses that he was lukewarm to the idea of Ben returning at best. Reporters for what it's worth said AR2 stepped in and said bring him back.

We would still suck with Mason Rudolph, but we'd at least be able to get out of shotgun formation on every down. And like I said before maybe we could have found a free agent QB to game manage for a year.

14. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    For the record, I believe Ben can still ball no doubt whatsoever. If he In fact is being tailored too and refusing to acclimate to needed change, then his ass needs to go. And so does anybody else encouraging/enabling that theory. I hate to believe he’s that way because the dudes wired to win but sh!t who knows

15. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    No, i mean nobody was open except Muth.

• Like Like x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Currently speaking?! A multitude of things.

Big Ben does play a factor though. However and, as I said, problems can be solved. Issues cannot. Big Ben's inability to attack the MOF is currently an issue that has been going on since Week 12 of last season where Chase Young famously stated that the Football Team received the blueprint to stop the Steelers from the Ravens.

Since that day, the MOF has been all but an afterthought.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

If AR2 did indeed step in, that just reverts us back to my previous statement; choices vs options. There were three options on the team. However, there was only one choice.

18. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Ben isn't going to get any better under center without the right tools around him. Where's Mia Watt, or te's in the middle?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    What i saw today wasn't on Ben imo. Looks to me like his teammates are having trouble with Canada's offense. :shrug:

20. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Imagine KC getting shredded? They just did that in the SB. No excuse to lose to a running QB

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

That actually is on Andy Reid if anything. He should have played to win. Not for the field goal.

22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Anybody else seeing the Steelers have a chance in hell of beating the Chiefs? Obviously they don't. But the Ravens with a crap oline did just that.

23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Kc has no defense. Guess you do need one lol

24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Those Ravens beat the Chiefs because the Ravens stuck to their gameplan; a game plan that had not worked against Kansas City up to this point. Lamar Jackson still has some ways to go as a thrower but his improvisational skills and ability to slice defenses with his legs are second to none.

Any defense has trouble with that; Chiefs or otherwise. Baltimore though got more breaks thanks in part to Andy's poor decision making. Be that as it may, as of currently, Pittsburgh is better equipped to stop Baltimore as Pittsburgh has done it before...... with a catch.....

Pittsburgh needs to have a 100% fully healthy Defense to do it (well.... as full strength as one can get as Alualu might not be back by then). That said, one major silver lining here; that matchup is weeks away. Plenty of time between now and then.

Now, regarding Kansas City?! Even with a 100% defense, I do not see us beating KC in all honesty. Too many weapons there. Again, anything can happen but Mahomes is simply too difficult to limit; Hill and Kelce the same. One final aspect; scoring 30+ is something this team is ill equipped for.

25. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    If we had a decent offense we could hang with them. But obviously we don't have that which would give the Chiefs ample time to hang 50 on us.