1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Didn’t really see this one coming…

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Sep 19, 2021.

1. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I can’t say I am totally shocked but I did not think that Vegas would come in here after playing on Monday night on a short week and flying across country and win this game. This was a very disappointing effort by the Steelers from top to bottom. Losing 5 guys on defense didn’t help but this offense clearly has a lot of work to do. This loss pretty much cancels out the great Bills win from last week. Back to the drawing board and get a win against the Bengals at home next week.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I suspect we are in for a season of close games….

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Disappointing yes. Deflating?! Hardly.

Injuries can stymie any team; doubly so if they are of starting caliber. Losing four on the defensive side hurts big time. Add the fact that this Offense will take some time to gain traction and the overall result is expect games like these to happen.

In short?!?! Growing pains abound indeed. The Defense though is the key for Pittsburgh to return to the playoffs again; a 100% fully healthy defense anyways. Given the fact that Alualu might be out for the season, Buggs is going to have to step up in a big way.

Overall though, being 1-1 is not a death sentence by any means. That said, gaining traction quickly is what is required. Doing so will allow the team to string together more wins.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This.

5. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Broken ankle for Alualu. So he's out for the year. I think we are in trouble if the offense cannot get it together

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I did. Last week was a fluke.

Ben is playing horribly. O-line is questionable. D-line looked average without Watt. Raiders have a bad o-line and we couldn't get to Carr. Bunch of nobody's in the secondary. Missing Steven Nelson badly. We rush 4 and everybody else is dropping in zone and giving up 5-10 yards every play. Carr was playing pitch and catch all game.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2021-9-19_16-39-49.png

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Do not worry SDOT!!!

I will contact DK Metcalf and he will solve...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Well at least I guess all the Super Bowl talk has ended after the 2nd game.

To think that this brand new offensive line wasn't going to struggle is laughable. Patience.

Injuries happen. Besides unfortunately Alualu's the rest don't look severe. And it's only the second game.

A lot of killer happenings happened in this game. And Carr was on fire.

On to the bungles. My garage fridge is calling me as well as a little love in the toolbox.

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Hmm.... I see.

Well, guess Buggs is going to have to soldier on after all!! Hopefully Tuitt can come back sooner than later! To your final point.... well... going to be a while yet before they can.

Each game here on out will be close; Raiders loss and Bills win being mere microcosms of that. Having the Defense bail out the Offense is not a sustainable strategy.

11. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    they can't keep starting slow on offense, but I have no reason to believe they will improve that much or at all over the season . they have the longest streak in the the NFL for not scoring opening drive touchdowns. They RARELY can sustain a drive. I don't consider this an overreaction because this been now the 3rd season in a row where they cannot sustain a methodical drive or put fear into an opposing defense. The defense literally starts with a disadvantage every game because of this. They get gassed, and when they have key players out that really is not feasible. I mean that's obvious for any team but when the Steelers have possibly the worst offense over the last 2 seasons plus two games so far this year, The defense is getting screwed over big time. Now add in the fact that DJ is injured and he is really the only WR that can get consistent separation from DBs, they are really facing an uphill battle. JuJu is a force after the catch but now teams can focus on him more, and claypool seems like he's a physical specimen, but he doesn't seem to be THAT good at anything. He can make a crazy catch here or there but he's so far from consistent. This is randy fichtner all over again. Add in a young line that may or may not get better, and Looking like Ben picking up from the last 6 weeks of last season.. Steelers might be in trouble. I mean the Texans are putting up more points and half of their roster was acquired in free agency. Literally 30+ signed free agents and they can put up more points than the Steelers can.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Very disheartening after a big win against a very good Buffalo team. And a home opener to boot,
    oh well on to the Bengals, and hope injuries aren't severe.

13. lamberts lunatic

lamberts lunatic Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Seriously you didn't see this coming? Alualu out then Watt. It was kind of game over early

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Let's be honest, most of us thought we would be 1-1 after 2 games, we just got the team we'd lose to and the team we'd beat mixed up.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Going to be a long season . Must find away to get Najee rolling. We will finish under .500

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't know why. Even though we went 11-0 last year we didn't have a good offense. We kept it close and the defense made a few plays and got us over the hump. I was saying to myself as we were stacking wins, we are not explosive enough or capable off generating enough points to stay with most teams.

Today and last week was a prime example. If it wasn't for a special teams touchdown last week we would have lost. And today, defense played well enough if we had a half decent offense.

After two weeks, I wonder who has the worst offense, it's probably not us, but I truly believe we are in the bottom third.

And to make matters worst, I don't see a glimmer of improvement from last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    The question is, how did you not see this coming? We have been down this road so many times in the past. I was hoping for a different outcome today and continued to hold out hope we would flip the script but at this point I feel like an abused lover lol, but I keep coming back for more. Oh well, one game at a time. I've become conditioned not to expect otherwise as we seen today and been let down so many times for the past 10- 11 seasons.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    We're onto Cincinnati

• Like Like x 2
  19. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Bengals win next week and throw for 450 yards easy pick on this one

20. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Tomlin now 2-5 against the raiders and favored in every single game. Why should anyone expect anything different than the loss they took today?

• Agree Agree x 4
  21. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I expect the Steelers to bounce back and beat the Bengals next week at home. They definitely can’t afford to lose that game as well heading into Green Bay the following week. Gotta win at home within the division and get back to 2-1 and 1-0 in the division. I agree that 1-1 is not a death sentence but man things set up well for the Steelers to start 3-0 and losing this game today was very deflating.

22. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    Let’s see - missing their top CB, top 2 LBs and two starting DL. I don’t see why people expected the D to hold up.

And the O is just plain bad. It’s really not a surprise they lost this game.

Edit: The one thing I didn’t see coming was Schobert having more passes defended than the entire secondary.

23. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I thought if for no other reason they would win convincingly today because JEH was in the stands and it was his special day. :shrug:

24. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I doubt this offense will get any better with Ben at QB.

• Winner Winner x 2
  25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think your on to something BURGH 43