1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How Many Games Will Ben Survive?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jim90, Sep 12, 2021.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Problem is... the offense is in the habit of taking 2 quarters off. Yesterday it was the 1st and 2nd quarter.

2. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Agreed . We all know he starts out slow. He will do better as the year progresses but if he has to throw 50-60 times a game because we don't have a run game ( tbd) then expect he will be worn out by the end of the year.. That is of course the Oline is protecting him and he does not have to run for his life or get smacked around like a pinata.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    We need to open it up more earlier in games to try to give the running game some room. They are not ever going to have success with how young and inexperienced the o-line is if we don't get defenses to back off. Ben taking and hitting a couple shots down the field early would really help out the run game.

4. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    With Matt Canada calling plays I feel far more comfortable. he will make plays that play to the strength of this offense.

5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think Ben is just getting used to getting hit again. He's not going to lead the league with fewest sacks this year at only 14 allowed.

But, I will be shocked if he doesn't miss 1-3 games at least. There was a lot of big hit and slams to the hard ground he took, doesn't take much to sprain anything or mess up an AC joint etc.

But I will not take anything away from Ben he plays through pain.

• Like Like x 1
  6. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Could you win consistently if your RB was averaging 5.9 ypc? maybe Ben can't throw 6+ yards accurately.

7. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    Yeah we had trouble running the ball, but the O-line should get better and I think Ben was very efficient with his play and passing. I also do not remember a interception so I am all for this style. Remember Buffalo is a damn good team.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We have 5-6 new starters on offense and a new OC. It doesn't have to continue like our last teams. It's been one game. Letting these new guys have their first go at in season live fire and it taking one half isn't too bad. I'll take it.:cool:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    He might start out better if he actually played more in preseason. Then again, why risk injury for meaningless games.

10. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    It seems we play better when going up against teams that are favored over us and suck when we are the one's supposed to win. Looks like we'll be favored against the Raiders at home so hope my hypothesis is wrong.

11. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I guess you missed the 2 soft hits that he took that made him look like an old man. He was hurting after the hit he took from sliding.

12. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That's where the got the idea from, and he took another soft hit and just laid there for a moment, and this is only game 1.

13. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    BTW.. I didn't say anything about his game .( it was the same typical early season Ben misses) I was referring to how many hits can his old body take. Between him being broken down and playing behind a brand new line, I don't see him lasting the season.

Good to see the Ben Homers coming out in full force protecting the old fart, missing the point completely.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. NewMexicoLobo

NewMexicoLobo Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2021
    It absolutely blows my mind that so many only value a QB on the basis of his passing performance. TerribleOwl, you appear to be one of those.

If not for Ben Roethlisberger we lose yesterday's game by two touchdowns!

15. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    I don't have any idea how you can think that. He was terrible in the first half. I am not sure what he can possibly be doing to counterbalance that he couldn't even consistently dump it off accurately and didn't even try to do anything else. I get that he offers some intangibles but they do not count for more than the tangibles, i.e. his actual performance, which was bad. I mean, let me know the next time his tangibles are great but his intangibles suck and so you criticize him. I am suspecting that it goes only the other direction, though.

16. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    Ummm...yes, you can win if your RB is consistently averaging 5.9 yards per carry. I am not sure what that has to do with a QB averaging 5.9 yards per pass though. This isn't really all that complicated. Go look at the yards per attempt over the last few years. Find me a QB who was good averaging under 6 yards per pass. Good luck with that though as most rankings don't even drop down that far. Here's a hint: there weren't any good QBs averaging 5.9 yards per attempt. On this topic, here is an article that goes into what passing stats are useful for predicting future outcomes: https://www.footballperspective.com/correlating-passing-stats-with-wins/
    Basically they conclude that passer rating is not very useful but yards per attempt are, with Net Yards per Attempt being an even better measure (this number includes lost yardage from sacks). So the 5.9 YPA is very meaningful when trying to predict what will happen in the future. Essentially you aren't going to win many games at 5.9 YPA. If you do it is almost certainly thanks to other components of the team, as we saw by beating Buffalo. It was the defense that was primarily responsible for that win.

17. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    It’s really simple. If you average 5.9 yards per play, what difference does it make if those yards come through the air or on the ground?

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    If Ben only misses 2-3 games I'll be elated. I'll also be thinking we will have a good shot at the playoffs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    What if Rudolph goes undefeated during Ben's absence? Heads will explode around here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If you are rushing 5.9 per play, you don’t have to pass much. But when you do D’Souza aren’t looking at you’re passing anyway you are almost certainly passing for more than 7+ yds/att. If you’re passing at 5.9 yds/att, you probably can’t run a lick. Passing is no threat, 8 men in a box. The Steelers rush #s Sunday were nothing special. It’s not like short passes led to an efficient run game. I suspect you can’t find a case in NFL history where a low pass yd/att offense lead to a high scoring one. Unless you go back to the 30’s or 40’s.

21. H-Bomb

H-Bomb Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2012
    4 O rookies, I wasn't concerned at half, had a good feeling about the 2nd half, all just needed a bit of time. D was great, big time special teams play. Now go destroy the Raiders.

Go Steelers!!!

• Like Like x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What if Ben is undefeated before He gets hurt in this imaginary world....then Rudolph goes undefeated also....:shrug:. LoL :thumbs_up:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. RockyBleier

RockyBleier Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2015
    Better question: How about that big run by Big Ben?

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    And then Haskins, then Dobbs, then Duck......

• Like Like x 1
  25. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    I answered that. If you are passing for only 5.9 YPA then you have a very low likelihood of winning the game. 5.9 YPA actively harms your chances of winning. 5.9 YPC does not. If anything it helps, although rushing is not as closely tied to wining in today's NFL as passing is. The article I cited discusses that YPA is one of the basic stats that has actual predictive power. If it is that low then you are not very likely to keep wining.