1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TJ Holdout?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Aug 7, 2021.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    And????. I don't believe either of them got SBs

2. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Sign him to whatever he wants, then trade him. Who cares? By the time this team is good enough to contend for a championship again, the Steelers will be looking for a way to get out from under his contract. He's a great player, but I don't think he's a HoF'er. He may very well start to deteriorate within the next couple of years. Use his value to other teams to stock draft picks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ditto, about half of which were labor bargaining unit agreements.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    The Steelers would lose the guaranteed money they paid in that case. And you'd want to make the cap number not too crazy high to be tradable. Bottom line he has one year remaining in his contract. If he doesn't come back to play it this season, then you trade him. I guarantee teams would be salivating for that to happen.

5. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Filliponi is a weasel. That show is only decent if they have a quality guest. I don't mind Starkey and Cook, or Paul Zeise. I think some of these newer guys aggravate guys like Cook and Ed Bouchette because they love to posit ridiculous hypothetical situations and Bouchette, especially thinks those types of discussions are a waste of time. I concur.

6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You know what I meant.
    We'll see.
    Sorry I got a typo

7. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Paul Zeise I find myself agreeing with a lot. Poni is just for shock value, like Tim Benz.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Yeah, I always forget about dead cap. But, I agree, Duke. Either way, I wouldn't bat an eye if they traded him. I generally trust how the Steelers handle the big contracts. If he isn't happy and refuses to play, then trade his a$$. It's understood that many of the modern athletes could care less about loyalty, so why should the Steelers? After all, business is business.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I gotta say, the Rooney's are lucky to be in a sport with a salary cap. If this league was wide open like the MLB, they'd be in trouble.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And that’s the way it is

- Walter Cronkite

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And that’s why the nfl is a strong as it is.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Bouchette has been covering the Steelers since 1985, probably 10 years before Starkey and Zeise even started their sportswriting careers, so there are going to be generational differences.

13. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I do often wonder if they realize most players are looking for pay day these days. They really don't care about team tradition as it's ancient history to them. We like to romanticize the glory days of the team as fans, but these guys don't care about that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I guess it's almost time 2 burn another jersey. 1st Woodson, and I guess now Watt.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Well idk if that's the reason. The sport is insanely popular in this country so that helps more then anything.

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The tag is good for the NFL as a whole. That is why both sides agreed to it.

This year the tag affected .65% of the players. It did not affect 99.35%.

The 99.35% of the players aren’t going to fight for the top .65%.

The tag will be included in the next contract and won’t even remotely be an issue.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It’s not “the” reason, but it is the major reason. It makes more teams competitive. And that is why it is popular. If baseball had a similar model as football, it would be much more popular. The big market owners in baseball don’t care. Years ago, the big market football owners agreed for the good of the league to share fairly. Hockey can’t quit stomping on their dicks with their skates.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I had 2 comment...because that deserved a Hilarious, and a Winner. We only get 2 pick one.

• Like Like x 1
  19. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    And neither do the modern fans. But, I get it. They weren't around for the Super Steelers. Most of the younger folks don't know an NFL without a cap and free agency. They only know what they have experienced first hand. I don't like how the modern athlete could care less about their teams traditions, but it is what it is. I still enjoy the games, but my loyalty to specific players only goes as far as their loyalty to the Steelers. Once their gone, I could really care less.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Hockey had to get a cap. They were on the verge of contracting roughly half of their teams. Hockey will always be a niche sport because they want toughness, grit and hustle to be as important, if not more so, than skill and speed. Hockey junkies like me put up with it. Fringe fans can't and don't and that is why hockey will always remain behind the NFL, MLB, NBA and NCCA football and basketball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Realistically speaking, if the NFL PA fought hard for fully guaranteed contracts like both the MLB, NHL and NBA players currently enjoy, this is a non issue as a whole. However, given the fact that the NFL PA would rather fight itself rather than stand united is what is going to continue situations like these to proliferate for the foreseeable future. Until the NFL PA can get out of its own way, expect what @jeh1856 to be the normal......

.... which is looking like it is to stay!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

A lot of caring going on there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. Kevin

Kevin Member

Dec 27, 2020
    Pay the man. It will only cost you more at the end of the season and create bad feelings…potentially enough to lose the best defensive player we have. Losing Bud hurt, and without TJ we will have zero pressure on the QB making a solid defensive backfield look average.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Who cares

25. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    If it goes past Thursday, he'll either be traded or leave in free agency.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1