1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TJ Holdout?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Aug 7, 2021.

1. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    are there any linebackers the steelers could get to replace TJ watt or should he be paid whatever he wants but it is true he did nothing to help steelers in playoffs reminds me of some pittsburgh pirates who always choke gagged in playoffs one who some consider best baseball player ever i dont think TJ Watt is worth that much but maybe im wrong

• Like Like x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not if teams start trading them off 2 the stupid teams

3. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Do you have autocorrect set up to eliminate all punctuation?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I just always find it mind boggling how people side with billionaires over millionaires. These owners make and are worth far more than the players and have a far longer time into their profession earning money than the players. 10 million to you may be enough but these guys live expensive lifestyles. It's why dumb as it is, when these guys get divorces and stuff they have to pay astronomical amounts of money in child support and alimony. Because they have to support that type of lifestyle they lived with their former spouse and kids. And when has there ever been a such thing as enough money? Who no matter what wouldn't want to maximize the most money they can? Jeff bezos is still finding ways to make more money and grow Amazon when he has more in the bank that's impossible to spend all off.

And does every investment pay off? No. So sometimes you may invest multi millions In a guy who doesn't pan out. It's no different than drafting a guy in the 1st round who's a bust.

I don't get why people are mad guys want their money upfront. Also it's no problem with the steelers doing business the way they do. My problem is when they than don't want to let a guy go or try to inhibit his ability to pursue dollars elsewhere. Their 31 other teams besides Pittsburgh. Someone else may be willing to do what they won't. So let the guy go and get what he's asking for elsewhere since you don't want to provide it.

6. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Ya...I can add

• Like Like x 1
  7. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    AK just reported that's the problem with the talks. The steelers not guaranteeing alot of money past year 1.

And the problem the steelers are running into is everyone else besides them understands you have to guarantee the big payday upfront. Pats were the last ones before them who didn't and now they are doing it. I don't consider Joe and cam high guarantees. You have to take a look around the league and see what these other guys are getting.

8. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I think Ramsey went for 2 first round picks a few years back. They probably ocular get 2 firsts for the. I'd call Dallas, Seattle, etc.. and see what they'd offer.

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Dude. Nobody is siding with Billionaire over Millionaires. It still amazes me that some forget about the Cap. Yes the Cap that 2 Years ago was supposed 2 skyrocket this Year only 2 drop....Yeah that cap. If there was no cap I'd say pay it all, but there is. What is amazing is a player will take as much Cap space as possible, and then complain about not having any help ,or Good team around them.

10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Seriously? That's your argument, that they live expensive lifestyles, so we should be on their side? The players don't have to live expensive lifestyles. They don't have to get "divorces and stuff," whatever the stuff is in that comment. Sorry, but no.

The last part of your post is particularly ridiculous. Let him go so he can get what he wants elsewhere? No. That would be incredibly stupid. You don't give away one of the top 10 players in the league just because he might have to pay expensive child support someday.

As S.T.D. pointed out, you are pretty much ignoring the cap. As fans, we've seen the Steelers hamstring themselves in relation to the cap for years. You want to see them do it again?

Ultimately, it isn't about siding with millionaires or billionaires. We are Steelers' fans. We want what is best for our team first. We root for laundry. Don't get me wrong. I like Watt. I enjoy watching him play, but like most of this board, my primary loyalty is to the team.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    It's not even about the cap. The problem with tj and Pitt is simply guaranteed money. I don't think the total amount is the problem. They just dont like giving a boatload of upfront money. It's the problem they had with Leveon and will continue to encounter going forward with guys who look around the other 31 teams and see show guys are getting 40+ million up front while Pitt won't do that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    And once again the Steelers are looking like the dinosaur of the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Tell Colbert get his butt down to Subway and get TJ a foot long tuna and this would be a done deal.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    OK believe that. He is , if it goes the way he wants going 2 take up over 15% of the Cap....all by Himself. Hell Troy P only took up 8, or 9% , and that's the most we've ever spent on a D player. He's great, but not Troy P great.
    Hell Dallas gives all their Cap 2 like Three players. Sure has helped them.

15. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    One of the reasons the Steelers have been so successful is they don’t make stupid deals like (ahem) other less successful originations. The Steelers will allow you to make a headline, ‘highest paid player at the position!” “ Multi million dollar deal signed” “. Steelers sign <name> to Mega Deal!

But, they aren’t going to agree to guarantee money even if you’re hurt and done, That has screwed so many organizations. How do you think we go in and get those players. Those places are so cash strapped after the headlines die down, they dump em off to teams like us, that pick up the ending balance on that “stars” salary. Just look at the ones we picked up this very year to see this in action.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    how about shh

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Yeah they live expensive lifestyles. Guys didn't work hard all their lives to get to this point to drive a Hyundai elantra and live in a shack down the street. They want to drive lambos, live in mansions, and live a luxury lifestyle. I was using the divorce as an example of the world viewing the amount of money you make in comparison to THE LIFESTYLE YOU SHOULD LIVE. A person making 50,000 a year doesn't pay the same amount of child support or alimony of someone making millions. Not necessarily that they would get a divorce or have to pay child support so they need a lot of money to worry about the possibility of that in the future. Just combating you all point that just because you make millions doesn't mean you shouldn't live a luxury life. The world doesn't view it that way.

And I never said just give him away but look what Oakland did stupid as it was. They didn't want to pay Khalil mack so they let him go somewhere that his services were deemed to be worth a higher level of compensation than Oakland was willing to provide.

18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I don't think dak is Mahomes,Watson, Russell Wilson, etc... great but he got paid more gurnateed money than them because the market dictated it.. Myles garret got 50 million guaranteed at signing. It's no reason tj watt should get any less and he would be an idiot to sign for anything less. Hell DEMARCUS LAWRENCE got 48 million fully guaranteed.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    And the team he went 2 won...what???
    He has really put the Bears over the top

20. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    What has Oakland done since he left? Bears have made the playoffs with no qb more times than them

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    First and foremost remember.....it's a business, and giving so much cap space 2 a guy that doesn't touch the ball every play on his side of the ball is bad business. Period.

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So. So they made the playoffs 2 more whole times, and Can't field a team because of His cap.
    Lucky they got a Rookie Qb....who they better pray is good.
    How come you aren't bringing up the Edge rusher Belichick trade 2 Arizona ...that's still gets sack, but doesn't help thr team win, while because Bill is smart, and knows you can't pay an Edge rusher that much....went 2 three SB , after he traded his a$$.

• Like Like x 1
  23. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    It is a business. And guess who's a business and a brand? Tj watt. So he's looking after himself and his best interest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    That's fine. At least belichick when he sees won't pay someone he gets rid of them and let's them go somewhere to get there money. And they have a team in Chicago. Their problem was they drafted trubisky over Mahomes and DeShaun Watson.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Will see.