1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TJ Holdout?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Aug 7, 2021.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Have they officially broke camp and started week 1 prep? Typically Monday is an off day for licking wounds and getting evaluated so if they practiced I can see it being considered the final practice of camp but I'm just spiraling here.

2. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    TJ Watt did not practice today. There is no way this deal gets done. Cheap Steelers are gonna try n string him along with the tag after this season. If they don't want to pay a guy holding out.... because that's what Watt is doing... Just trade him. i don't care if he's there he isn't practicing. He's just here so he won't get fined. If they can't come to agreement. Dump him while u can, and i'm all for the team throwing a blank check at him. but it's obvious now the Steelers aren't going to do that. TJ is an attention seeking diva like his cornball, douchenozzle brother JJ

3. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Several reports out that the sticking point for both sides is the guaranteed money. Steelers don't want to change after 40 years of doing things and Watt and his representation want that money guaranteed beyond the first year of the extension.

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Just what J.J. Watt has done for charity alone makes your post look ridiculous.

I'm not happy with what T.J. Watt is doing right now, either, but you are taking it to a ridiculous extreme. How dare anybody not just do whatever the Steelers want!?! :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not trying 2 argue, but if I have 10 thousand dollars in my pocket, and I give you a dollar. Does that make me a Saint. If So Saint me. St. STD.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    All I know is TJ Watt has Steeler management "over a barrel" and his agent knows it. They have set up this year as best they can for one last run and our defense relies on pressure. No Watt, no contending. They have all the cards, so I`m thinking this last minute stuff by management is stupid.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  9. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Yep, there's still hope that they're able to work the deal. I hope Watt stick to his guns!

10. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I hope it all works out like the past. Just seems ridiculous to me.

11. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Was he named Captain before ? I mean it's a yearly thing reflected by teammates views which ebb and flow. Ben went a couple years between stints didn't he?

12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Writing checks is one thing. Do a little research. People are speaking from a lot of ignorance about both Watt brothers.

13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    If T.J. Watt was a Captain beforehand.... I did not hear of such. That said, that is really not much of a factor here. T.J. will be signed.

How soon though is the question.

14. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

I’ll argue the opposite. The Steelers have TJ over a barrel. Don’t like our offer? Ok, play out the season and we franchise you next yr. If you’re still effective we franchise you again in ‘23. You won’t get big money until ‘24, if your body still holds up.

no Watt, no contending? They didn’t win a playoff game with him, they can probably do that without him.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    TJ Watt should either get his 100 million gauranteed or he be made inactive If he plays he will play hard through regular season to improve his worth then in playoffs wont play or will play bad if he doesnt get what he wants we have seen it before are they gonna do it again

16. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I just wish a 5 year deal meant that the player shows up in training camp, practices and plays for 5 years. I don't think he's doing himself any favors by not working hard to honor the contract he had already signed. 10.1 Million dollars for a 17 game season comes down to $594,117 per game check. Get your a$$ out there prepare yourself for the season. Most of us play the lottery once in a while just to dream of having that sort of fortune even though we know most likely it just won't happen.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Should Houston be thanking the Texans instead? Absolutely not...that was all JJ.

18. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I see nothing wrong with him working to the letter. What he's doing is permitted in the NFL and is done often.

19. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    My theory has always been that the Steelers would find it very difficult to put all that guaranteed money in to escrow after revenue was decimated by Covid in 2020. The Rooneys are not at the same level as some of the other owners in terms of personal wealth and ability to float the team. That is why they have typically offered less guarantees on signing and depended on restructures year to year to lock money in for their star players.

It’s the same issue that led the Raiders to trade Mack by all accounts, they simply didn’t have the liquidity at that time to carry his guarantees.

That’s just my own theory reading between the lines but whatever the case may be TJ is obviously not happy with what they’ve put on the table

I really really hope they get something done in the next couple of days

@AskQuestionsLater Cam and TJ were joint captains on Defence last year. I am sure he will be added back in as captain once he (hopefully) signs his deal

20. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    that was their problem with several guys. They don’t like to pay high guarantees

21. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    they need to get rid of the tag in the next CBA. Teams shouldn’t be able to hold players hostage like this.

22. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I think it was more so gruden didn’t think Mack was worth that high guarantee. The nil gives teams over 250 million every year. They have more than enough to pay these guys but the cap and some teams stubbornness get in the way of that.

23. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    do teams honor contracts fully? Or do they cut guys when they no longer feel they no longer meet the price of the deal?

24. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I have never liked the Tag option but am sure that the owners traded a horse with the NFLPA to get that designation. It sucks but has been bargained.

• Informative Informative x 1
  25. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

No it's obscene greed pure and simple. Game 1 is less than a week and he is CURRENTLY under contract. Not participating in pre-season is about as much understanding as he deserves. Once the regular season starts he should be ready to go for the FIRST practice, much less game. He is also losing the respect of his teammates and it shows because he was not voted to be co-captain this season. This situation is different than Le'Veon Bell's but still didn't it teach any of these guys anything? I cannot see this move being beneficial to him. Am I not supposed to leave the house because it raises the % chance that something will kill or injure me? Injury is a risk that is inherent to the game and he is getting paid $10 million to accept it.

You call it whining? That says more about your character than anything. I call it "calling it what it is".

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1