1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Beyond this year .....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    If we miss the playoffs, I hope we really miss the playoffs. 4-13 looks pretty good. You'll always have those fans(a lot of them on this site) that would rather finish 9-8 and miss the playoffs and get a 20th overall pick, instead of finishing 4-13 and get a chance at a top blue chipper.I'll never understand that absolute need for instant gratification and complete lack of foresight but whatever.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Maybe...Just Maybe because the So called Blue chipper may suck. I myself rather be happy for more wins through the Year....than be miserable with all those loses, only for a chance at a Blue chipper that may suck. Been a whole lot that has.
    So then You're 4 - 13, and Now You still suck. Give me as many wins as possible. JMO.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. kicker_twentyone

kicker_twentyone Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2020
    Beyond this year.. scrap the team and rebuild. Ben retires, Watt and whoever traded, grab draft picks, and find a 1st round Qb !

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    VA Tech is a tough place to play an opening night, No excuses he didn't look sharp
    (his team didn't look sharp?.) Lots of of football to play That's if Covid doesn't rear it's ugly
    head.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It was a rough night for Howell. He didn’t look good at all, and his team did almost nothing to help him. However, Ben’s first game of his last college season was basically the same thing. His team was overmatched, and he did nothing to elevate them. I think he rebounded nicely. Howell can do the same, however Howell does not have Ben’s size and arm. It will be interesting to see where his season goes from here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I can see where you're coming from, however in this particular instance, I'm talking about our chance to land a top QB.
    This was one of the best QB drafts(on paper at least)in awhile, with five star QB's, and none of them made it to even the midpoint of the first rd. They go fast.

• Like Like x 1
  7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I can see both your point and S.T.D.'s point. If a team wins only 3-4 they need a lot more then a blue chip QB. Ben was blessed his first season with a damn good cast around him. We go 3-14 and get a blue chip QB it could take years to get him a good supporting cast.

I try to keep hope thinking of Brady. 6th round pick. I realize that the odds of something happening like that again are about a billion to one but one can dream.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Again, I'm talking about stars of the team retiring or leaving in FA soon, not special teamers and practice squad players. You're going to replace Ben, Haden, Heyward, JuJu, Washington, Alualu, Tuitt, Ebron, and Ingram with UDFAs?

9. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Have you seen the full houses at these games? Covid is dead, the only ugly head that will be reared will be our continued ridiculous overreaction to it by testing healthy, vaccinated people 32 times a day to manufacture hysteria that it appears college football fans are ******** tired of.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    everybody has sucked up their new qb's, so not as many need one. everybody in our division has theirs. tampa, jacksonville, chicago, miami, philly, dallas, NE, seattle, GB, saints, buffalo, probably a couple of others i can't think of. at least that narrows the field some. we have one of those blue chippers here that sucks. it's a gamble either way. i don't like the fact that colbert wants to be the one that picks them and then retires. he even said they are trying to learn how to draft one. he wasn't real involved with getting the one we have. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

claypool, johnson. carl davis, isaiah buggs, loudermilk. ingram is old and doesn't start, but jamir jones has shown something. ebron has been replaced with friermuth. washington doesn't start. we don't know about pierre for haden. you know we have draft picks again next year and can pick up free agents. you can't replace every star with a star every year. i know you want and expect 53 HOF'ers but it's not realistic. we seem to replace our stars with new one's over the years. funny how that works. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Half the top 4 WRs are going to be gone and you just listed the other half. Same with TEs. They still have to replace those guys that leave.

And just listing backup DLs doesn't mean they'll adequately replace what is probably the best 3-4 front in the league. The odds of Jamir Jones being the next Melvin Ingram and Pierre being the next Haden are long, but you typed their names so they must be adequate.

If you don't replace stars with stars that's how your team begins to suck.

13. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    The idea of sucking for better draft picks is a bad one.

The Browns sucked since 1999. And went through 30 QBs in that time .. many in rounds 1-3 before they semi hit on Baker Mayfield.... and even now there is talk he might not get a 2nd contract of they falter this year. Not a glowing endorsement for the guy that you will need to pay 40 mill a season if they do keep him...... Go look at my QB post and see how many misses there are in the first 2 rounds at QB

HACK

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    until they see the field you don't know how they will be. we know many draft picks are not guaranteed stars. as the link i gave you states many don't even make the team.

as for the best front, tuitt is hurt more then he plays. these backups have been playing if you haven't noticed, so i'm not sure how they were the best without him to this point.

new stars emerge all the time. hilton was a good example. foster, AV and feiler were UDFA's that became one of the top o-lines in the league. hmmmm. stupid UDFA's and PS players. exactly where they came from.

as for two of the 4 WR's, they are two starters that replaced the prior starters and the 2nd round draft pick washington can't get on the field over them. again replaced.

AV was replaced by a guy that was a 4th round draft pick that you said wasn't good enough too. turns out he's pretty good as i first said. they all can't be 1st rounders and even that doesn't guarantee anything. do you think we will never draft or find any other players past this point? yes players age and teams replace them. that's how this works. you can't do it all in one year, but they have started but you can't or don't want to see that. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I have seen Gabriel play before

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    You were pimping him as a possible successor to Ben, they can do better IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    And what did you think?:cool:

18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He's alright, I'm not sure he's a first round pick QB, he could play himself into one maybe with a good season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    4-13 looks really good to who? I will never hope this organization misses the playoffs. Teams and organizations play to win. Consistently losing seasons could be detrimental to the small market Steelers bottom line. Maybe the Steelers would eventually change cities for more cash? Don't think it can happen? Well it can. The Bills are and up an coming SB contender and might be moving on from Buffalo.

The Steelers did well drafting players and winning over the years with their philosophy.

Having a losing record with 4 wins never guaranteed anything. Should I show you all the teams that drafted "blue chippers" that failed to win as consistently as the Steelers?

The reality is that the Steelers have more foresight than the fans. The Steelers know how to build consistent winners.

The reality is that the it's extremely difficult for any organization to win championships year in and year out.

As a Steelers fan I know that each and every season this organization puts their best effort forward to attempt to build a winner. As a fan and Pittsburgher, that's the realism that I deal with year in and year out.

You want a loser? Go become a fan of another team.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This was one game against a very motivated good team at home , no excuses, I have seen him play.
    This kid barring injury will be a top ten pick.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He's not going to be a top ten pick, he's a poor mans Baker Mayfield, there will be better QBs and players from other positions that will go in the top ten before him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    my thing about him as a possibility is he's been through 3 offensive coordinators and has excelled with each. shows me some brains to be able to do that and with a good but not great team around him. size may be a concern but he seems to handle that fine and can be mobile at times. came in to take over as a true freshmen because of his accuracy. just keeping an eye on him.

strong i believe is another semi-sleeper, though by draft time he should get some more forefront press even at nevada. ben didn't come from a major program so i don't think they are afraid of that. there are some guys out there for sure to keep an eye on.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  23. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    A lot of the Steeler stars yet to be made Maddog.

• Like Like x 1
  24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I watched Strong play this past weekend, he's a guy I will keep an eye on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    That would probably require several key injuries to fall that far. 2022, however, could be the bottoming out you're looking for.