1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Beyond this year .....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Sep 2, 2021.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    no, it started a few years ago.

pierre
    sutton brought back to a more prominent role.
    norwood drafted.
    killebrew brought in.
    schobert brought in.
    highsmith
    davis drafted.
    loudermilk drafted.
    buggs drafted.
    bush drafted.
    claypool drafted.
    DJ drafted.
    harris drafted.
    green drafted.
    moore drafted.
    harvin drafted.
    kuntz installed.
    friermuth drafted.
    minkah brought in.
    ballage added.
    snell drafted.
    mcfarland drafted.
    UG3 drafted.
    buddy johnson drafted.
    layne drafted.
    haeg brought in.
    ingram brought in.
    turner brought in.
    washington drafted.
    juju retained.
    mason drafted.
    haskins given a shot.
    dotson drafted.
    ebron brought in.
    derek watt.
    jamir jones.
    mark gilbert
    donovan stiner.
    maulet.
    brooks drafted.
    banner.

plus a few others brought back or brought in. injuries happen, nothing they can control. it may not be who you wanted but there are a lot of new faces here. some are role players but could also help in certain area's given some time. james harrison wasn't an instant success. AB wasn't an immediate success. they have retooled quite a bit so far. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Haden, Ben, Juju, Ebron, Ingram, Washington will likely all be gone next year. Heyward and Tuitt won't be far behind. You can list all the Gilbert/Stiner/Maulet/Brooks types you want, there's going to be a huge talent drain on a team that is looking shaky at OL and CB.

3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I'll tell you what would be great for our near future, Ben has great season and is coming back for another. One can dream!

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    brooks was going to be playing and so was maulet. injuries can't be foreseen. gilbert and stiner showed they can play. just like pierre did. i don't think any of these guys futures have been determined yet. you really can't make that claim quite yet. nothing is set in stone that any of the guys you listed won't be here. maybe these other two won't be far behind but we have brought some guys in that could be replacements. (loudermilk doesn't look lost as a rookie). heck cam didn't instantly become a starter either. ebron? who cares, we have replacements. washington? we don't know but we draft this position pretty well. we will have a draft again next year you do know. you act like the cupboard is bare. :cool:

5. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    All of the cupboard guys you list are bottom of the roster/practice squad guys, you merely hope they'll develop into something with no evidence that they will

Hope in one hand, crap in the other, see which fills up first.

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    just like we have done for years. wasn't pierre one of those last year? wasn't james harrison one of those? wasn't AV? wasn't foster? wasn't feiler? NFL rosters are full of these types of guys. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    "full"

You're citing a few exceptions over 20 years and extrapolating it into a roster-building strategy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Man, how about stealing that QB out of Alabama that looks like he just might be a good one so far? I think he's going to have a better career than Trevor Lawrence.

9. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    And I thought Polamalu and Fuamatu-Ma'afala were tricky names Hack. The announcers will have a field day. :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I will watch . Hope he looks better than either Qb I watched last night between Ohio st, and Minnesota

11. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    If you look at the list of starting QBs across the NFL, there's really only a select few that I would consider weak or completely unproven. The rules changes in the NFL have definitely leveled the playing field for QBs. This is not the same NFL from 15 years ago. There's certainly a difference between a HOF QB and a non HOF QB.. But the difference in talent levels isn't as drastic as it used to be.

12. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It's a pretty weak class at QB as it stands right now. Probably why we took a flyer on a true 1st round talent in Haskins. Here's to hoping he can get it together.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This young man can play. Not sure what NC has to surround him with
    but he has all the tools.

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    These guys right now are the top QBs
    Rattler
    Slovis
    Howell
    Jurkovec
    Strong
    Daniels
    Willis
    Ridder

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Your guy Howell isn't looking too good so far, he's being outplayed by the Virginia Tech QB.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I can't tell yet. It half time. I seen him complete 4 passes, and fumbled, but we will see

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah I'm afraid I wouldn't draft less talent Baker (Sam Howell) Mayfield in the 4th round. JMO

• Like Like x 1
  19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Looking great so far!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. Dude has 2 ints a fumble and like 8 completions. So....You were just playing correct???

21. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Steelers Fans , I got a bad feeling on this season, all right ? I mean, I got a bad feeling, I don`t think Ben will make it out of here.

"Everybody gotta die sometime Red "

MR will get his chance again and we will have to deal with it . 7-10 is our fate.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i wonder if dillon gabriel is coming out after this year. UCF qb. pretty good. doesn't get the hype as the bigger schools. this is his 3rd OC i believe. check him out. had a good game last night against boise st. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m giving him a little bit of grief about his player crush. Honestly, I’m watching the game and his line and receivers are doing nearly nothing, and Va Tech’s coverage is great. Another lousy 3rd down drop just now.

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well he had 3 int , a fumble, and one 7 yard pass that went for a 32 yard td. So....against Virginia Tec So.....I will take him off my list. Also watch the whole game. Well I missed the first 3 minutes.
    This is why I don't get 2 high on anyone coming back. Seen It way 2 much. Great one Year....then ....not so much. Also why in the Pros I don't get all over a Qbs Greatness in less than 5 years. Again seen it 2 much. People see what you're good at, and what You're not, and if You don't get better at what you're not.....Well by the time everyone in the league gets 2 play you....You become average, or People make excuses for You.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I will keep an Eye...since You brought him up