1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kendrick Green

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Sep 2, 2021.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Is it possible that Kendrick Green may be better off playing guard in the NFL as opposed to center?

This is not a knock at all on Green. I like a lot of what I saw out of him in the preseason. It seems to me that he has done a much more effective job run blocking than he has in pass protection.

One thing that I noticed, on more than one occasion, is that he seems to have trouble getting his snaps off and getting into pass protection against the bull rush. It is a lot easier to get to your base out of a stance than it is after snapping the ball. I am just not sure it is natural to him yet.

I think it may benefit him, and the Steelers to use him at guard, especially is Hassenaur proves to be an adequate center. Green could supplant Turner if he struggles and he and Dotson could be a quality tandem of guards for years to come.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    practice practice practice.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I hear you. I am not suggesting the Steelers give up on Green playing center. I am suggesting that his skills could be better used in other areas at the moment. I am not at all sold on Turner. Even Dotson had some concerns coming into camp. I think Green would be an upgrade over Coward or Finney if it came down to it.

4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    But playing Coward or Finney at Guard positions any better playing JC Hassanauer at Center?

5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I am one of the rare people that are not down on Hassenaur. He isn't great, but he is serviceable. I have been predicting he would start the season at Center since before camp.

I think Coward has a chance to be serviceable as well. Finney has become a turnstile. I am not sure he would make many other NFL rosters, if any at all.

6. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    practice.gif

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think finney is much better at guard but his ability's are needed for a backup role at center. there are a couple of centers sitting out there to be had right now. coward is pretty much a one trick pony but i too am not sold on turner. leglue is the jack of all trades on the line right now. any position swiss army knife type. this is valuable on game day. we have to find the right combo.

green, we will have to see. pouncey had that same problem as well with the bull rush and big NT's. he didn't whiff but they pushed him back into the qb's face and area to step forward. the guards have to be able to help green out at times with a chip at least. turner doesn't strike me as all that aware in that area. greens run skills will have to be used along with play action to slow this pass rush deficiencies. stay out of obvious passing situations as much as possible. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Green was one of my guys in the draft, and even I can't tell you he is the next great CENTER.

I like FA David Moore at C/G... not as mobile as Green, but much more of a bully in close quarters. Would love to get him on the PS.

And to tell the truth...I would give the Eagles a first round pick for Dickerson. Kid is going to be special if he can stay healthy.

HACK

9. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Too early to tell, but G and C are really interchangeable if you take the snap out of the equation. If you can play C, theoretically you can play guard and vice versa. We just need to let him grow into the role. Not everyone is an instant pro bowler like Pouncey was. Green has a lot of tools that will help him be a good center and has some things he needs to work on if he wants to be a good center too. We can revisit this at the end of year 2 if he's struggling to come into his own at C and needs the position change. Until then, its really too early to tell and we should allow him some time to grow into his role and improve his game to become the player we thought he could be when we drafted him.

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Possibly the most important Steeler on the current roster this year, Good luck Kendrick.

11. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Interesting idea. I've heard Turner has been bad, and I would expect Green to be much better at G than C at this point.