1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Haskins will Start, Dobbs BU QB.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Aug 26, 2021.

1. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Couple scenarios.

1) Mason is locked and being preserved. Now that Haskins is finally being given 1st team* reps, he's either being given a chance to solidify his position or to raise his trade capital. I'd say that he's more likely on Tomlin's keep list. Dobbs might be a luxury as the 4th QB because Ben's availability for the entire season has to be a concern.

2) Mason is trade bait, maybe even a package deal. Farfetched? Probably. But Haskins needs 1st team* reps to prepare for QB2 and Dobbs slides up to QB3.

The only reason I even mention that second option is that I really think Tomlin is jonesing for Haskins to turn the corner and be the future. But I'm leaning towards the first scenario with the organization hoping he balls out in the final preaeason game and a trade offer comes in too good to pass up.

• Like Like x 2
  2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Really looking forward to tomorrow night!!!!!

Hope you all realize it will be are last comfortable game to watch, then it's on to pacing time for the games. Although I must to admit to jumping out of chair and yelling on Ben's second TD pass.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    :drinks:

4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    At least with Haskins playing we know we will get to see a lot of Punts....

Not sure who is going to win the Punter battle this year.

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Just my two cents:

Rudolph is here to be the #2 QB this year and next year. He knows the system, can be adequate as a backup for a game here or there, hopefully winning half. He can come in on a moments notice if need be and be who he is.

They will look at Haskins to see if he shows anything to prove he can be #1 next year. If he does, then he sticks and learns this year as #3.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I'm sitting here looking forward to the game tonight only to realize that it's tomorrow. Damnit.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    then they might need one.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  8. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Considering Haskins has put up points in most of his appearances, will we?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    That’s the thing with Mason though. He really only has a deep ball (he throws a great one). He is awful on the crossing routes, tough passes underneath, and he has almost zero pocket awareness and ability to move in the pocket to allow himself a clean throw. It doesn’t look like those traits are going to go. Haskins has far more upside and talent, but has been inconsistent.

If I had the final say, you easily keep Haskins as the 3 and just redshirt him basically. Teach him the best you can and see if the kid gets better. If not you’re looking at getting a new backup anyways because Mason really ain’t it. Dobbs goes to PS unless someone else takes him. Donna sucks anyways so it doesn’t matter what happens to him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Haskins has had several opportunities to showcase his skills since being in the NFL just like every other 1st round QB. He failed and no one wanted him except us and I have yet to see this guy actually play like a #1 draft pick against regular season defensive talent. So what's is everyone waiting for that will all of a sudden turn a bust into a franchise QB of the future? Our coaching? Really>

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Probably as many as did play with Mason our last regular season game last year.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I dont think Dobbs is a lock for anything..they may keep him with the expanded PS, but if they cut him he is just a call away if needed, doubtful anyone takes a crack at him. Haskins could be trade bait if someone ponies up, but doubt there any any serious lookers. Still a big if, if someone blew the Steelers away but who and why?
    I also do not think Haskins bombing is going to have a huge impact...they know what he is..they have seen enough. He has not been an ass, played relatively well, still shows many flaws on his delivery. He is on the cheap, a RFA next year so will likely not cost much to keep. If he stays clean, gets a year in this system I believe he has a chance to unseat MR in a camp QB battle. may not be the long term answer, hell he was any any ones answer 9 months ago.

13. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I do not disagree, but I hold the same thought about MR. I read so many posts on sites about how this guy has had so many chances. Really? So many? Basically a rookie in his 2 year, thrown in, no line no running game. Played Ok at times, stunk up the joint for sure..but not always his fault. Chances last year..1 start. Yes we lost, but he played well. We pretty much see what we get with both. I doubt either will light up this league, Haskins does have the bigger upside..still a raw talent. He was thrown to the wolves in DC, not prepared, some of it surely his fault..a lot of it just reality. He had one year as a started in college, the kid was not ready..period. I do not care what the fans think..1st round or not, was not ready. Here he has been more mature, is has shown ability. Both he and MR are what they are. i think to a degree Haskins can be coached up, other QB's have been after terrible career starts. Both MR and Haskins will be relatively cheap next year...let me have at it in camp (assuming Ben retires)...we likely will be going though years the 80's with a couple of 1st rounders..remember Malone and Blackledge...lol Or QB;s like Jim Miller and Scott Mitchell fighting it out...Oh well, at least we had a season of greatness

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Several opportunities? The Steelers were the only team to sign him to a tryout after the WFT due to his bad rep. There are plenty of first round QBs who didn't start or struggled their first season. And to my knowledge he hasn't started against 1st string defensive talent as a Steeler in a game at least. So I'm not completely sold on him being a bust just yet. The amazing thing is I one was one of the guys trashing him in the beginning, now I'm defending him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Just something to think about

... Landry Jones signed a 2 year extention
    ...Landry Jones was considered a lock for QB2
    ...Landry Jones sat out the final preseason game.

Landry Jones was let go to keep Mason and Dobbs.

It's happened before

HACK

• Like Like x 1
  16. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    The fact that Dobbs is even on an NFL roster in year 4 and even drafted as an NFL QB in the first place is still a head scratcher to me. Dobbs wasn't even a project QB coming out of college and will never be even a serviceable #2. Cut him and let him get on with his life's work in aerospace.

As for Haskins, he clearly has way more physical talent than Rudolph. And I also believe that MR has had ample opportunity to show what he's got and he has proven he's Landry Jones 2.0. Sick and tired of the Steelers FO fumbling around with their dicks and have never gotten serious about getting a legit replacement for Ben. The parade of numbnuts they have drafted or acquired at QB over the past 8-10 years is a damn joke. How many steelers backup QBs over the past 10 years actually ended up on another team when the steelers cut them?

I mean seriously? Dobbs, Hodges, Rudolph, Metzenberger, Lynch, Jones, Dixon, Vick... that is a sad sad list of backup QBs who never had a shot at being a legit NFL starter.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    This could be said about 28 out of 32 teams. They've all drafted numbnuts... Steelers included. Check out Denver's track record of QBs over the past decade, sans the Manning acquisition. Steelers backup QBs look like HOFers compared to them. Not every backup QB can be Don freakin' Strock.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
  18. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

The last real legitimate backup QB we had was Charlie Batch and he was never even starter material.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    It's not a matter of hate for me. I just think he lacks the skills needed to be a starting QB at the NFL level. His lack of arm strength came as a surprise to me as he had a ton of yardage in college. He's not comfortable in the pocket
    And does not respond to pressure well. I wish him luck but I don't see him on the team past this year. I hope lm wrong

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Well Detroit thought he was a starter, but then again they are the Detroit Lions.

• Agree Agree x 4
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Good news, tomorrow is today. Now back to looking forward to the game.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  22. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Batch owned the eventual Super Bowl Champion Ravens in 2012.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    He will end up in New England with the Steelers playbook.

24. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I'm telling you all.... you have been SPOILED by having a GOAT at QB for almost 2 decades.

People don't think Charlie Batch was a good QB? 2nd round pick started 55 games

Byron Leftwich no good? 1st round pick started 50 games

Mike Vick not a starter? 1st round pick started 115 games

That my friends is EXACTLY what most starting NFL QBs are.

Hack

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Who’s Donna and is she transgendered?

I had a dirtier joke but this here board is a family oriented site.

• Like Like x 2