1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Playaction

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Aug 25, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You can tell they don’t use it often :lolol:

I’d say this is likely on Harris.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. It's like that play where Haskins went one way for the hand off and I believe the fullback, and RB went the other in the Eagles game. I was like ...Hmm ...You can tell we don't do this a bunch. LoL

• Like Like x 1
  3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    i noticed the ILBs didn't commit until the "play fake" was carried out... perhaps deception and nothing more. very odd though I'll admit. 2 plays are a small example, could be a mix up in communication?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    100% . They didn't . They still fell for it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    As Alex stated in the tweet, baby steps. Either way, a marked improvement over the original for certain.

6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm just happy Ben was actually under center instead of the shotgun.:clapping:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Looks like Harris is running wherever he thinks the free blitzer is

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have seen Canada use play action when he was at Pitt (Hail to Pitt)
    The running game has to be a factor for this to succeed. Canada has a good offense
    whether they have the players to execute OL/QB is a different story.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    I remember Broncos-Era Peyton Manning doing it constantly from the shotgun. They came out and said even though everyone knew they were a pass-heavy team that film study showed that the LBs would respect it anyway. I always thought it was a good compromise to get the benefits of PA without the QB turning his back. I wish we would run more Pistol. Ben gets to survey the defense from a deeper drop and the power running game does not have to compromise like it does in standard shotgun.

10. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    The one vs. the Eagles appears to be an early start by the WR on the jet motion. Najee is going to pick up the guy who fakes the blitz, as he should.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    This might be nothing, but on Mason's handoff, Najee looks like he is anticipating the ball, arms ready. When it doesn't come, he stutter-steps and looks very indecisive. On Ben's handoff, he doesn't bring arms to ready in anticipation of the ball, and heads into the line. It looks like he is even moving through the line to make himself available for a pass. But the video stops at that moment.

For what it's worth, my impression is that Mason's play was botched and Ben's was by design.

12. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    The only way to run successful play action is to have a successful running game.

If a team doesn't respect your running attack, the hole play action theory is irrelevant.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think you nailed it

14. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Seems like the execution has improved...

• Like Like x 1
  15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    True. I believe their is going to be growing pains at first. But with Harris he can make things happen that we haven't seen in some years.

But I will tell you this, they can't just march to the tune of Shotgun Ben for a bulk of the snaps. Defenses figured this out and will again.

The line is built to road grade and I believe once they gel with the 5 best things will be fine.

• Like Like x 1