1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Layne going to be this years Bud?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Brice, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Layne can't tackle or cover ...look like the desire is lacking

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Did you even watch the Detroit game? He did both. He played great that game looking like a real starting NFL CB.

Just go and watch that game and keep your eyes on Layne and he will make a believer out of you in both his coverage skill and tackling ability; or his ability to get off the receiver 15 yards down the field and come back to the line of scrimmage and get involved in stopping the runner.

• Like Like x 2
  3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    O-line and secondary two biggest fears for me. I like our front 7 and I'm really hyped about Najee and our running game but of course it remains to be seen.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    That wuss remarked reminded me of "Neon Deion Sanders" aka "Prime Time." I am rarely a fan of the talking heads on NFL channel and all the other sport shows but must admit I enjoyed Sanders, he did entertain. I also enjoyed watching him try to tackle a 225 lb RB who escaped the front line and had a full head of steam. We laughed for a good 10 minutes once when his face showed how freaked out he was as one came at him.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    That would have been an awkward discussion.

“I need a raise. I’ve outplayed my contract.”

“Yeah… about that raise. We we’re actually thinking….”

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Come on, that's BS. I never heard that at all. All of a sudden his contract was terminated in a cap cutting move. As they usually do, the team is looking in the future and specifically in signing Watt and MF long term. They wanted the $$$ for those 2 instead of Nelson with which I wholeheartedly agree. This was before the DD exit I might add.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    i think he has shown improvement. what I meant was he is playing with more confidence

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

Do your homework first.

By the way, a man walked on the moon, incase you missed that as well.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Homework was turned in already and some stupid remark by you isn't going to change my mind

the moon thing though caught me off guard.

moon.jpg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He has looked better this preseason.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It’s only stupid if you can’t understand it.

0EC6B74F-DD9F-44E3-B697-59F389839CAA.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  12. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Hopefully with Sam Darnold expected to play a lot in this game it will give both Pierre and Layne the chance to stake their cases for being the Steelers #2 CB. Darnold should have time to pick apart our defense with some of the front 7 taking the game off.

I think Sutton should focus on playing the Slot and let Pierre and Layne battle it out.

After Friday Night we should have a good indication of how much trouble we may be in with the #2 CB position.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Justin Layne the #2 CB? :eek: :lolol: :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::facepalm:

14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Sam Darnold picking apart? :eek: :lolol: :roflmao:
    :roflmao: :roflmao: :rolleyes:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Watch how far off he will be from his man in coverage tomorrow night.
    Matter of fact watch how far off all our db's are when covering wr's.
    This my friends is how you can evaluate. If it is pitch and catch then we have a problem. Also watch
    if he or any CB will come up to support the run and lay some wood. I have my doubts with this cat.
    And if you want to play CB for the Pgh Steelers you better not be afraid of contact and tackle.

Would like to add, I really do not follow Carolina, so I don't really know
    how good their passing game is. BUT I do follow AFC teams and do know some of the teams
    that these cb's will have to cover. Lets hope our cb's are up to the challenge.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Not necessarily, I had desire but couldn’t tackle or cover. I just didn’t have ability.

• Like Like x 2
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    don't know who will make the team but mark gilbert has looked good all preseason. killebrew looks good for the backup safety position. pierre looks like the one staying on the field in nickel with sutton and haden. just not sure who else will be kept but we have room for improvement. not to sure the kid from pitt may not figure into the equation. maybe ps. look for cuts or available free agents. isn't skrine still a free agent? :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This thread is a joke right?! :eek:

19. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Completely Serious as Layne has taken some major steps this offseason. I think he really missed out on not having a camp last year.

Nothing really changed in the Carolina game as the Steelers left both Pierre and Layne alone on their WRs and they both looked good. Most balls seemed to be thrown inside away from Pierre and Layne in the first half.

I think I have more confidence in our Dime this year, with Sutton on the inside at the Slot and both Pierre and Layne on the field this year.

20. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Layne attempts tackles like he's afraid to get dirty or break a nail. Add that to his legal issues and I think he's lucky if he has a job after cut downs. He's a bust. I'm not saying Pierre is a future pro bowl candidate, but I think he is already a much better football player than Layne, not that he set the bar at any significant height.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This...Pierre's has upside. Layne is stuck in 2nd gear but makes the squad.

22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yea the practice squad, lets try to get something for him????