1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB2 Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Aug 6, 2021.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes, but I will concede Ben played well in the short time he played this preseason

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I don't think that Mason is terrible, but his struggle is lighting up a scoreboard.

You can go back to 2019 where he and duck started, to get to 25 points seemed like it would take forever to get.

He is the king of leading FG drives, he can moved the team right down the field, to FG range, and then he can't convert a 1st down.

Case in point against the Lions he gets down inside the 17 yard line has a 3rd and 3 and fires to Juju to the end zone, even if Juju catches it he won't be in bounds.

You need 3 yards get the 3 yards, can't take the FG when your getting that close.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    I was wrong about him. I was sure he'd show up and ball out in the preseason, making himself look like a starter and the future. I figured we would then watch him, at some point down the road when needed, flop. The fact that he didn't look better, regardless of supporting cast, tells me pretty much all I need to know about him. He's exactly what you said, good enough to be on a roster.

4. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Ok I'm confused because he seemed to produce points on most of his preseason time. What am I not seeing here?

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You’re not missing anything, just proof that two people can look at something and have completely different opinions.

I’m with you, Haskins took a good first step and certainly didn’t do anything to make me think he can’t play.

Remember, the idea behind this project is to give him stability and a chance to grow and develop his obvious talents as a QB.

6. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    agree, "patience is a virtue"

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    You're not missing anything. He was, IMO, the better of the two. What I was saying is that I thought he was going to come in here and make us think he was ready for prime time, like he was going to put the thought in people's minds that he might be actually be better than Ben this season. Now, that would have taken an insane level of performance from him and for Ben to falter.

Like I said, I was wrong. He did enough, IMO, to put himself above Rudolph, but not by much. I thought he was going to show even better.

• Like Like x 1
  8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Haskins to get the start on Friday night and Dobbs with clean up duty. It's hard not to feel bad for Josh Dobbs but it was also hard for Landry Jones too. I guess it is what it is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He’s made over $3MM

I don’t feel real bad ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Rudolph was the only one of the 4 QB's to not have a TD drive this pre-season. He did lead the team to 3 FG's, so at least that is better than nothing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I will have to go back and look but I think they only made it into the redzone once with Rudolph at QB and that was last game where the drive ended on a pass to Muth which would have been #3 for the day. Through out this thread I think I've said that Mason is doing what's asked of him no more no less while Haskins has created in the chaos. The announcement today means we won't see if that continues.

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He did lead 3 field goals drives. Though not a Td.
    Haskins has scored 1 td, and lead multiple scoring drives.
    Against guys that have most likely been cut, or will be cut. So if one uses common sense. It's hard 2 judge.
    Would have like 2 seen Haskins out with the 1s, and against the 1s.
    Guess it just shows what the Coaches think... is all I can guess. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    With the league still allowing Vets on the PS, I think Dobbs will not be thrown off the team just yet.

The Defense still needs a mobile scout team QB to practice against.

14. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    You may get your wish as Tomlin seems to be under the impression Carolina will have most of their first team defense playing Friday.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This will be a good test to see what Haskins can do. While many have been down on Mason during pre-season, I think the coaches are still looking back at his last game against Cleveland in which Mason took a major step forward in his progression. I do think Mason can continue that as he made a lot of great throws in that game. Now with Haskins going against the number 1's it may not be the true number 1's. It goes to show as Tomlin has stated, if you play against JV, you better look like you are Varsity.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Mason would have had a TD but he didn't do a good job of leading his receiver. All in all Mason is who I'd want as #2. Sure hope I can watch Haskins Friday night. Not sure if NFL Channel will carry the game.

• Like Like x 1
  17. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben is very streaky at times. I get frustrated with all the three and outs, then he comes back making it look easier later in the game. I'm yelling at the tv "WHY DIDN"T YOU DO THAT THE FIRST HALF!!!!!!"

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    Fans are unnecessarily rough on Mason. It is a glass half full/half empty scenario.
    • Mason leads his receivers too much, or he throws it too high hanging them out to dry (Glass half empty scenario)
    • Mason trust his receivers to go up and get the ball or fight for the ball (Glass half full)
    I actually feel bad for the criticism the guy receives from Pittsburgh.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'm disappointed Rudolph missed JW13 in the endzone this last game. I thought that connection would have been solid.

The team did seem to have a concerted effort to target JW13 though. Maybe as an appeasement or maybe to showcase?

• Like Like x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    They are showing it after the 1st game Friday. So it will be a replay, but replayed right after it's over.

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Here’s another reason he is getting the start, redemption. Would be a good building block for him to have a good performance against Carolina.

• Like Like x 1
  22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    That Carolina Defense will be a good litmus test for how far Haskins has come since OTA's for certain. Cannot wait in all honesty as that Friday will be an important stepping stone for him to revive his NFL Career. I personally believe in him and, since his very first form of action in a Steelers uniform back on August 6th, I have had little to no reason to believe that he cannot redeem himself against the team that would be his final start as the QB.

Friday cannot come soon enough!!!!!! :herewego:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Folks our future Franchise QB is not on the roster, but
    don't fret, with proper planning and scouting he will be next year.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Will Haskins have the 1s playing with him or will they be sitting out?

25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I would doubt that many starters would play.