1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bens Successor Draft Thread

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, May 8, 2021.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Really I'm pulling 4 whoever can get it done after Ben is done. I honestly could care less which one,but I would Love it 2 be someone already on the team.
    Like You said it would make future drafting way more useful that way.

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am afraid Ben's successor is not on the current roster, but don't fret
    draft capital and and salary cap are there to get the successor.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    We have to choose wisely, D. Rooney rip.

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Ben's successor mid first round pick

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Carson Strong is another candidate I would definitely look into. Wildcards for me are still Jurkovec, Ridder and possibly Corral.

6. kakhatesmortgages66

kakhatesmortgages66 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2020
    Aaron Rodgers next year.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    If Pittsburgh has a near .500 year lets say (I don't think they'll be under .500), the team is really in no position to get a new franchise-worthy QB being that the 2022 draft is supposed to be a poor year for QBs. Could they trade up...sure.

But why use the draft capital on a rookie who could be a bust. I'm starting to think the team may be better off using the picks getting a mid-career vet like Derek Carr. I don't think Mayock and Gruden are that high on him and it may cost the same as trading up in the 1st. I'm using Carr as an example, but he seems a logical candidate.

What do you guys say... rookie or younger vet?

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I Honestly think Ben will still be here, but If I must pick I Go with someone on the Team already, or Rookie. History has shown again and again Unless the Vet Qb takes a really friendly Deal, or Your team is,Just a Qb away ....bringing in a Vet is counter productive.

9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    You think Ben is playing in 2022?

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yes. Unless We suck this Year. I Honestly Do.

11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Bring this Carr kid in so his older brother can see that Ben is better...:shrug:

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Draft capital on a rookie that could bust? Hmm... this is quite intriguing turtle. Never expected you to say such things about such.

Realistically speaking, even the average of players picked between 6-11 is just over 50% per this website's data. While I also would not want to take a chance on a player that may flame out, in truth, that is what the NFL Draft has been historically known as; a high stakes game of luck. One can win some and one can lose some. No team has a 1.000 batting average of even solid 1st Round Picks. That said, I do agree that the upcoming 2022 QB Class is not looking too promising at present.

That said, whether or not Big Ben wants to play in 2022 really is irrelevant at this point as his contract is void days after Super Bowl LVI based on a report by Peter King of Football Morning in America. Never mind this, the 2021 NCAA FBS Season has yet to start; QBs like Phil Jurkovec making a statement being another major possible benefit. Overall, be it 2022 or even 2023, the Steelers will have to find their Franchise QB in one of these years; trading up being a very possible scenario.

As such, if "the guy" is available, one has to take the splurge via draft capital to do it. The Rooney's, Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin all have already shown that with Devin Bush Jr. and Minkah Fitzpatrick. I doubt that they will wait for "the guy" to fall to them.

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I prefer the bigger QBs like Jurkovec over a guy like Corral, he's also from Pittsburgh :hehehe:.

14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    There will be some QBs who will step up in college this season, and play themselves into first round picks. Burrow before his senior season was considered a late round pick.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    So was Jones.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    With how Haskins has been showing signs of improvement and has begun to work with the ones, I'm going to double down on my prediction and state that Haskins will likely be the starter in 22, whether as a stop gap for a QB to be drafted in 23 or as a long term solution. Mason probably will be traded in the coming weeks or be Haskins back up in 22. All of this depends on if Ben comes back in 22 obviously.

• Like Like x 1
  17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They should still draft a QB in round 1 in 2022.

18. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I agree. I just don't think they will.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Moondoggie

Moondoggie New Member

Aug 21, 2021
    I agree. I'm certain they weren't really looking at Haskins just as a backup, but taking a shot at helping him reach his potential with an eye on him being the guy after this season (or before if Ben's arm falls off). It's really a no risk/high reward type of signing and it doesn't cost you a first round pick. I can't imagine this isn't going to be it for Ben, so I figure (assuming Haskins continues to progress) they'll draft a QB in about the 3rd round next year to develop. I know they'd rather not spend a 1st round pick on a QB unless it's as close to a sure thing as they come. They hope they already have their 1st rounder.

20. JTG

JTG New Member

Aug 22, 2021
    I don't think the front office will be looking for a QB this draft because I don't believe Ben will be done for another 2 or 3 years. I also believe that they think Rudolph or Haskins can be of service to them after Ben.

Of the QBs in this class though, I think Willis is the most intriguing followed by Jurkovec. The reason Willis is intriguing is pretty evident, but the reason Jurkovec is intriguing is because his skillset is almost identical to Ben's. Big body QB, with a big arm and can slide in the pocket.

• Like Like x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

If Haskins continues his ascension of development, I doubt they will. If anything, Cornerback or even Offensive Guard should Trai Turner not be signed long term. That said, should "the guy" be available by the time Pittsburgh picks.... 100% agree here.

22. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Carr has had an under the radar decent career. If you look at his career stats vs Matt Stafford he is actually more productive in many stats. I know it is more than stats, just saying in a decent system he could prove to be a very quality QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I wouldn't depend on Haskins being the QB of the future, there will be plenty of QBs available in the first round to choose from.

24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I also stated that if the option is available, take it. I never stated that selecting a QB in Round One is out of the question; only that should Haskins progress it likely could be.

25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If Haskins is third string, he won't get much practice time during the season to show much progression.