1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ebron

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Aug 21, 2021.

1. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    It's preseason yes but...MUTH should be the starter, Does EVERYTHING better...No ifs,ands, or buts.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Disco.

Yes, I think that Freiermuth is coming as advertised. Nice Hands! I did not pay much attention to any blocking opportunities. Did you? If so how did he look? Again though, Ben zipped those two touchdown passes to him with great velocity and pinpoint accuracy which should calm down alot of people in regards to the "Rehabilitated" Ben. Myself included in there, to a degree. Although if folks around here remember, I was saying all last season that his injury was a Two-Year Recovery Type and that I expected a much more improved Ben coming back. He did not disappoint tonight IMO.

Remember though we still need two Tight Ends. I am getting a vibe that you are not a big Ebron fan? He is definitely not the complete package as a TE mainly because of his lack of blocking ability/desire. Nonetheless, he is a very good player in that he really comes across more as a Wide Receiver. He is just another weapon in our arsenal and I think that Ben likes him as a key target. He is very athletic but admittedly his drops have to improve. He looked a bit "heavier" to me tonight. Did he put on some weight maybe to help with the blocking or were my eyes playing tricks on me?

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Freirmuth's 2nd TD catch was the passing of the torch imo.. Turning a 180 in the air to snag that Big Ben bullet was special. Muth's adjustments made on the fly were top notch.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Can we revisit my Ebron thread from a couple weeks ago,
    where I ask can we get anything for Ebron?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I think Muth should be TE1, week 1. Ebron ended up with some nice catches. But the one he dropped on the Ben scramble was a momentum killer. You just cant afford that. I didnt get to focus on Muth's blocking. But its not like Ebron excels at blocking either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Freirmuth did himself no harm last night with those excellent catches. I don’t know if he is going to be the TE1 but he should certainly see some playing time.

Eric Ebron can make great plays but you can’t depend on him unfortunately, he drops too many passes and he is not interested in blocking. I think this is his last season in the B & G even if he has a good year

7. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Muth looked great but again it's rare for a TE to excel as a rookie. He looks like he needs a year in the weight room.

This is Ebron's last year, his future money is in voidable years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    ebron is what he is. catches some, drops some, tries to block, but not very good at it.

muth on one play ran into one of his linemen trying to block, great hands but is aa work in progress blocking. he could get better.

rader, consistant, good hands, good blocker.

zack gentry, getting better as a blocker, average receiver, could get better as a receiver.

marcus baugh, good blocker, pretty good hands. not going to wow anyone.

to be honest rader probably had the best preseason so far blocking and catching passes. well the most consistent anyway. friermuth isnt going anywhere. baugh maybe the PS. gentry, rader are fighting for the 3rd option but these two are the best blockers. ebron is a ben favorite, but man he doesn't block well and drops passes a lot.

let's throw another guy in this mix. dereck watt: was out there for one play and did very little. have yet to see him as an inline blocker or catch a pass, why is he here and making that kind of money? :cool:

9. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Ebron actually looked ok blocking last night from what I could tell. If he hadn't had the brutal drop it would have been a good game for him.

Muth did not block well but he catches everything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Ebron would have never caught that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    You keep Ebron for his final season here. After him and Freiermuth you have Gentry.

I feel both will have an impact this season.

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Catches were nice. How was his blocking?

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I will let you know when I complete the re watch!!

Could not watch it yesterday due to Suicide Squad!!

14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    It boggles the mind. Hopefully they will be using him more in the regular season, the secret weapon :facepalm:

I feel with negotiations ongoing with his brother he sticks. Personally he should be cut he has shown nothing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Ebron is trumping Watt with Ben at the helm. I don't see that changing with what Ben likes to run offensively.

16. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I think when Muth makes a name for himself, I`ll just refer to him as "Pat." However, would prefer a cool nickname.

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    but is muth now trumping ebron in bens eyes? ben likes to have that go to and he seems to have found him. just like ben liked heath, and then ebron last year, muth may have just become one of bens favorite go to's. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  18. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Derek Watt has been a complete waste of a roster spot and cap space since he's been here. Whether it's a failure to game plan with him in mind, refusal to use him, or incompetence or a little of all three, I wish they'd just cut him. They could use that roster spot for a more productive player.

Like the man said, Ebron is what he is at this point. He'll p!ss everyone off with a drop on one play, then catch a pass to convert a third down two plays later. However, he and Freiermuth stabilize the TE position for this season. Beyond '21, let Ebron walk and develop a decent back-up for Freiermuth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    D. Watt is here because of ST ability. That's what Tomlin looks for. To be completely honest it does seem a waste of a roster spot because in order to use him as part of a personnel package you have to take a skill player off the field and that doesn't fit what Ben likes. The fact that you can use like at least four formations with 2wrs, 1 TE, 1 RB and 1 FB and at least 15 plays out of those falls by the wayside.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I was going 2 bring this up, but You have. I was very surprised 2 see some of His blocks last night.

21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not sure either tight end is going to do much as a blocker this year. Ebron is normally a huge liability in that area.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hay TuRnDoWnForWaTT.

I just re-watched that play where Ben scrambled (flashes of the "old days" and vintage Ben) and got the ball to Ebron. Admittedly, what a complete waste of a spectacular effort on Ben's part. It is imperative that Ebron makes that catch.

Again, I like Ebron. As stated by me in the past, his physical stature and playing style is more that of a prototype Wide Receiver. I think Ben likes EE. However, Ben cannot be happy with that drop; especially after all of the effort that he put forth into making that throw. EE is a veteran. His job is to help "bail-out" Ben on plays like that. Ben put in 95% of the work on that play. I personally am ticked-off that he did not make that catch and I would bet that Ben and the Coaching Staff feel the same way.

EE does not strike me as a guy that is willing to put in the time to "perfect" his craft. We already know that his blocking is below the line and although he is an athletic Pass-Catcher per se, he continues to self-sabotage himself and the team with inexplainable and more so UNACCEPTABLE drops.

EE better get it together or he may find himself as trade bait or pulling extensive bench-warming duties; especially the way Freiermuth played last night. We are loaded with Offensive weapons. Ben must be excited. After the connection that Ben and Freiermuth found last night, if it was me, I would be a bit worried about a reduction in playing time if I was EE.

I mean come on. Ebron is a veteran, a 1st Round pick. His bar is set higher and for good reason. We have to be able to depend on him. In addition, as stated we are loaded on the Offensive side of the ball. If the Offensive Line can put it together, and with the Defense that we have, I just say WOW!

Deviating a Bit: Worst QB in the division. Have you heard this "yak" WaTT throughout the off-season about Ben from the talking heads? Man, I went into the wrong career as a Public School Teacher. They get paid to make such "Empty-Headed" comments. Come on!

Take care.

STEELWINDS
    The East Side Kid

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Derek might have a bigger role in Canada's offense, they aren't going to show it in the preseason games though, in training camp the local media said he was involved more in the offense.

24. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I didn't pay close attention to tell you the truth...Coming out of College ,He was known for being a GREAT blocker... People on hear are saying , He is NOT blocking well..Idk, Like I said, I haven't really watched that closely

25. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey Madddog78.

I have talked quite abit here about Ebron in other posts within this thread. in short, I like the guy. He is very athletic and fits the bill more as a Wide Receiver given his "build" and "stature". I think Ben likes him too although he cannot be happy with EE after that vintage Ben scramble last night only to have EE drop the ball.

Ebron gives me the vibe that he is not willing to put in the time to really hone in on his craft. If he is not going to improve upon his blocking skills, then he better make sure that he never drops another pass ever again. For it seems that it is his pass-catching abilities that are is strength. He continues to add onto his list of inexcusable drops. I have seen him make some very athletic plays since joining us. However, for a 1st Round Draft selection he must do better.

As I have stated within this thread, we are loaded on the Offensive side of the ball at the skilled-positions and have a very good Defense. The Defense is starting to remind me of that same "fast-type" of play that they were displaying last season before Bush and Dupree went down. IF, the Offensive Line can get it together, then I say "Watch Out"!

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid