1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB2 Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Aug 6, 2021.

1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree uner the RF type of Offense..We will see what Dobbs can or cant do in the Panther game ..You might just get surprised,,

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    3 will be on the 53, it's possible 1 could be on the practice squad.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  4. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Judging by Ben's Saturday practice he maybe in the mix for QB2.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. OmegaTiger

OmegaTiger Member

Dec 22, 2020
    Sorry guys, I like the kid Rudolph but honestly he is not winning NFL material... Been watching NFL football a long time, Rudolph needs to be cut and open more salary cap... I haven't seen anything in him the last 3 years to show me anything. I like the kid Rudolph, but I'm just not seeing enough improvement and leadership in him to beat the better teams.
    Haskins we will see... We need to keep searching for and experienced back-up in case anything happens to Ben I'm not impressed by either of these back up's quarterbacks.
    I mean we are not seeing the best defenses of these teams we have played yet, time will tell...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    And so it begins

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I have said, multiple times before, that I can't remember MR doing anything that made me say "Oh, wait a minute. This kid's got something."

I saw so much more from Taylor Heinicke in one start, in the playoff's no less. Thrown to the wolves. Taking on the Super Bowl champs. Over 300 yards passing and 2 TD's. Making plays with his arms and feet. This guy was working at Bed, Bath, and Beyond the week before. He made multiple plays where I thought "What the hell? This guy looks like he should be able to start for somebody." I've never once saw a moment like that in Mason.

He's remarkable at being unremarkable. Even Duck made some plays that made you believe, "Whoa. Hold on, baby! We may have a winner here!"

He's the most generic, milk toast QB I can imagine. He really has nothing that he excels at. His arm is below average. He throws rainbows. He's not accurate. Sure he hit a couple 10 yards slants in the preseason game. Whipdy-do. He can't run or scramble. Has zero pocket awareness. Holds the ball too long.

He's got guts. I respect him for that. He'll take a hit and come back. He seems like a decent young man. He's not an idiot. I'd be ok moving forward with the plan being that he's going to be the back-up. Nothing more. They're going to give Haskins a shot to see if he could take over for Ben. If not, we draft. BUT, Mason IS the back-up QB. And there's nothing wrong with that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I wld say u r right... Ben Mason Haskins, thats is what is projected

but I think a Ben Haskins Dobbs QB room ....

9. Confluence

Jan 22, 2017
    Mason is a good QB

(we will leave out the part of how I knew his girlfriend haha just kidding)

Got a lot of respect for those guys, two more preseason games, best of luck to all the QBs

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I really didn't think they would make such a big mistake, but they did and it cost them a playoff berth. I'm fine admitting that in that case, I overestimate the front office in assuming they would do the intelligent thing.

Ultimately, I was proven right that they did make a mistake. They gambled that they wouldn't need a viable backup and they lost that bet in Oakland.

The team started slowly that way, the only time they didn't score in Roethlisberger's last four possessions was when Boswell slipped on the field goal. Once he got going, the Raiders couldn't stop him. They only stops they were able to get during that stretch came against Dobbs, who aside from one decent throw and one scramble, was absolutely pathetic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    and mason went down and threw a TD pass in his two minute drill as well. haskins threw a pick that was dropped first. he also threw a pick in the game that was dropped. that is a concern. yes haskins has made some throws but mason has as well. mason has not put the pick ball in play and haskins has. dropped or not they were not good throws. both are capable of moving the offense, but one has not put them in turnover position. penalties have hurt rudolph's drives in the first two games. thats not on him. keeping the ball out of the other teams hands is very important. they are drive killers. haskins has to be better with that. punting is not a bad thing always, giving up field position with picks is. if nothing else it allows the defense to rest some. that's big. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Has Haskins had work with the 1’s at all before now? Doesn’t mean as much if he has but I just think this is the natural progression of things. He’s having a nice camp, I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t get the #2 roll.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    fair enough. Time will tell.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    Mason is starting his 4th season and I’m not seeing any more upside. He would be a serviceable backup for 2-4 games. I expect he makes the team. Haskins has upside. Dobbs serves no function.

15. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Dobbs could be a Haskins mentor for his character development imo.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Still giving them something to think about.

• Like Like x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. If You watched the Game You know it's done for Dobbs. All it took was the blind throw into triple coverage, and they were like .....ok Dobbs hand off and dump offs now. They literally straight up hand cuffed him . That tells You all You need 2 know.
    Now they may keep him if they Keep 4 because of 17 games, but otherwise :crybye:

18. Confluence

Jan 22, 2017
    not keeping 4 qbs, never in the cards, the door is not shut on Dobbs, dont care about the feedback, Dobbs stil has a chance to be the 3 qb, if Mason can put it together and impress than he cld put everything to rest but he has not done that, that is why next two preseason game are important,

also Mason is a very good Qb if there is a team in need of a Qb, he is, followed him all camp,

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You college fans are triggered so easily :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Tell us how you really feel. :lolol:

I haven't given up on Mason. But if I am being honest, your assessment is acurate.

One thing I know for sure is that Ben's replacement is not on this roster. Rudolph, Haskins, and Dobbs all look like NFL backups to me. Kind of reminds me of when we had Maddox, Leftwich, and Batch behind Ben. The exception being that these three guys aren't as good as those three guys.

21. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    In my opinion, Haskins hasn't done enough to get the back up designation and Rudolph hasn't done anything to lose it. It's possible that could change in the next two games, but my gut tells me Haskins would have to be lights out while Rudolph struggles. The real question is what they will do with Dobbs. What I think they will do is give him plenty of opportunity to display what he is capable of so that he might catch on with someone else.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree and our 5th qb goes to the PS. emergency only. i'd like to see a little of him by the last game. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Get on the phone and start seeing who brings back the best return, Dobbs or Rudolph, trade the one with the best offer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    If Ben goes out with an injury, Mason will be our best option or our season will be down the Dwayne

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    haskins maybe?:smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 1