1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who starts at QB for the steelers against the Lions

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rollers, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    And there's the infamous "statistics in a vacuum" that is so misleading. Before you use YPA as a QB measuring stick from 2 preseason games, consider that YPA includes YAC. Mason is throwing to starting WR's who get good YAC against starting defenders. Haskins is not. We also need to look at down and distance stats and rushing average per attempt as well. If Haskins is facing shorter distance to move the sticks on average, then his passes can be shorter and still be effective. I'm not saying that I know that is the case, just that YPA in and of itself after 2 preseason games isn't a good indicator of QB performance.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I could cite his attempted air yards. Obviously there is context to be aware of but the point is that Haskins has been fine operating a short air yards offense but he hasn't done anything even remotely special to this point. I'm not meaning to run Haskins down. I just don't think he's done much more than show he's competent dumping it off. Great. Now I want to see him do more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. OmegaTiger

OmegaTiger Member

Dec 22, 2020
    Ben needs to start, try to get some rhythm throwing, get in sync. with the offense... Brady started last night for Tampa, it's important they get some time and get back into the swing of the offense...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    The trait I think Haskins has shown is the ability to get out of trouble with his legs and still get rid of the ball competently. With Mason, if there isn't anything right away and pressure gets there it can get ugly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    How is it not??? Are both playing 1s, and 2s, are both playing 3s, and 4s??
    You do know most of the Tds we've scored this preseason are coming against guy that most likely will not be playing come the start of the Season

6. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    And smart money would be on that Brady prick winning another and this NFL hell continuing. Off topic but just so damn annoying especially with AB getting rewarded yet again and acting like an angel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I've seen Mason against 3s & 4s, 1s & 2s, even furniture movers. He's a backup.
    Haskins has tape out there but I've haven't seen it to be honest. My feeling is we are witnessing Haskins's floor & Mason's ceiling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    Yes. I like how Haskins has looked on the move. I never do with Rudolph.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    OK. LoL. So why get upset just because I want 2 see Haskins against some 1s, and 2s before I make a decision in my mind.:shrug:As starters in the NFL Mason has a 5 - 4 record with 12 tds, 9 ints.
    Haskins has 4 - 12 record with 12tds, 14 ints.
    So I would like 2 see more before crowning anybody.

10. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I have no clue why they keep Dobbs around. Maybe I'm wrong but in my mind he has shown no ability to even be a backup. I would take Rudolph over Dobbs any day. I can't see him making the team's final roster. I think it will be Ben, Haskins, and Rudolph.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Dobbs always looks like he is one hit away from being broken in half.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think Ben is going to start.

My only issue is that Ben might play 2-3 series, might play 1 Quarter

Then I know Tomlin won't play him in the last pre-season game, which I think is a mistake.

If Ben only plays this game against the Lions, your talking 21 days between the Lions pre-season and the Bills Week 1.

I know Ben is 39 this is the hurrah more than likely. But, I think playing a little bit of the last game against Carolina in pre-season he should get a series of reps at least.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    If I'm the coach, then Ben plays the 1st quarter to get his timing right in a live game.
    Haskins gets the 2nd quarter with the rest of the ones to see what he can actually do...
    Rudolph gets the 3rd quarter with 2nd and 3rd teams.... And Dobbs mops up with the hopefulls

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    I won't disagree with you there. I just don't put much stock in stats of any kind at this point. Just not enough time under center for any QB to be ranked based on numbers. The eye test says all that needs to be said. And the eye test hasn't changed on Rudolph since he got here. When we're looking at Dobbs as potentially a better option, then Mason isn't the answer.

The knock on Haskins has always been preparation and performance when it counts. That makes him a question mark until actually called upon. That's a scary thing. I'd love to see him do more as well, but unfortunately, even if he lit up the preseason, he would still be a question mark. It's been said many many times already, but he's got a higher ceiling and lower floor than Mason. But so does Dobbs, just not by as much, and with very different metrics.

15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Haskins still needs to prove he gets a roster spot.

Some of his passes are ridiculously bad. There were 2 passes in the last preseason game where they were so off the mark they could have taken out the Beer vendor in the stands. They had a lot of zip on them, but they were no where near the spot where he was trying to throw to.

Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn Bad. Just a bit outside: Ball 16 bad......

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Missi Mathews:"Coach Tomlin your top 3 QB's are all out with the flu this Sunday against the Bills and you have to start Josh Dobbs" What are your options? Do you "A" forfeit the game? or "B"----
    Tomlin:"A".

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Ben starts and is in for one or two series IMO. Then Mason probably. It would be very telling if Haskins was put in before Mason.

Would like Tomlin to be bold and do just that. Put Haskins in after Ben and while a significant number of starters are still out there.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    How I think it will go, Ben maybe 1 qtr. Mason, Haskins then Dobbs.

I've finally given up on Mason being our future. I have no problem with him as a back-up but boys and girls we have to somehow find a QB real damn soon.

Should Ben prove me wrong and have a decent season and decide to play another season we still need a QB in the draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    My fear also. Damn guy is 44!! I despise Brady and his old team for owning the Steelers. Thankfully we didn't have to meet them the 3 SB's we went to or we still might be looking for #5.

Hate him for sure but will admit that what he has done is one of the most amazing feats in all of sports.

Life is not fair for sure. I remember some years back Brady flew his buddies to the Kentucky Derby and then to Vegas for some big boxing match and you know they had good seats at both events:) Now that's living large.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    And that's the eye test I'm always bitching about. It is a very good indicator if you're looking at performance in a vacuum or to gauge improvement/decline over time. The eye test isn't favorable to Mason as it hasn't shown much improvement. I think that's why it's safe to say the gap between his floor and ceiling isn't a lot.

Haskins needs to prove himself? What about Rudolph? What has he done? It really comes down to whether Tomlin and Co. want a bland offense with less risk and less reward or a dynamic offense with high risk and high reward.

21. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Mason made some great throws but those overthrows in traffic are going to get someone killed

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    I just haven't seen that Haskins has actually done anything that Rudolph can't. As I said I do think Haskins looks smoother on the move but looking smoother doesn't mean much to me unless it produces actual results in the field. I get that Haskins has led drives for points but I don't see that the lack of points were a result of Rudolph screwing up. He's completing over 70% of his throws this preseason for almost 9 yards an attempt. That's really freaking good and better than Haskins' numbers. If Haskins is going to beat Rudolph out for the backup job then he needs to actually outproduce Rudolph. I don't think he has at all unless you put a lot of stock in the overall team performance, which I don't in the preseason. I really want to see Haskins get out there with the starters against another team's better players. If he does something in that situation then I think the competition gets a lot more interesting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I honestly don't see a team that will stop them in the NFC, no Brees, Rodgers will f it up. Should be a cakewalk for them. It's such bullsh*t. At this point it just comes off as greed and selfishness on his part.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
  25. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I don't see the need to rush Haskins, who is being broken down and built back up after his experience with WTF.
    Don't need him this year, if Ben is playing well enough. Plan for the future.
    Keep Haskins at #3, don't put too much on his plate, and turn him loose next year.

• Agree Agree x 2