1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin can't wait to run Harris' wheels off

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Aug 5, 2021.

1. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014

I'm 100% confident you haven't the slightest idea what Harris needs in the way of training and real game action to be the best he can be. But, go ahead and keep posting as if you do know better than the Pittsburgh Steelers. You know, these guys are not some packaged product that is purchased from Wal-Mart or Amazon.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You haven’t proved anything. Taylor struggled a lot last year, he struggled recognizing which seams to take, the scheme these guys play under makes a big difference in the leap from college to pros, too. He also nearly got Rivers killed missing a blitz pickup. One game does not make a season.

You’ve been watching football a long time, I would think you’d know theres an advantage to unknown players until DC’s get a look at them. CHE had a great game out of the gate with KC and then struggled.

It’s obtuse to think rookies don’t need to play in pre season games.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Lol...one preseason game for teams last year, something you conveniently left out.
    Taylor's 26 carries kind of held him down after that Einstein.

4. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    And yet most teams don't play first round RBs much in the preseason. I guess you know more than NFL coaches.

Am I doing it right?

5. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    What are you babbling about? There were no preseason games in 2020.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Neither did the Steelers, 7 carries.

No, you’re still doing it wrong.

7. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Of course, we're talking about Tomlin's promise to play him in all four games. If he was bluffing, great.

If he was not, he's a bigger dolt than I ever thought.

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Is he a dolt or is the problem here your interpretation skills? Lets break this article down in two quotes.

“Head coach Mike Tomlin said during his Tuesday press conference that Harris could be on the field for all four preseason games.‘

The key word in that sentence is “could”.

We’ve got four opportunities for him to do that.”‘

This simply means that they have four opportunities to get him some playing time. Doesn’t necessarily mean he will play all four games.

You somehow got running the wheels off him out of that.

I went back to 2018 and everyone I looked at played in at least one game, most played two, I think one played in three and only one played all four, Nick Chubb. I will allow you that one because it is Cleveland.

I expect to see Harris in two games, maybe three but I doubt he plays all four. Probably two.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    How many of those guys you looked at were first round picks (like the ones I listed) who were going to be relied upon to carry the team's running game as a rookie?

I know it helps your argument when you leave out crucial context, but it's kind of important not to.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    LOL you are the double down goal post moving king.

Since you asked, off the top of my head, Barkley, Chubb, Sony Michel, Penny, Jacobs.

What is it you like to say? Argue the point, not the man.

Just admit you were wrong and over reacted and move on. There’s no shame.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    I already pointed out Barkley and Jacobs lack of work in preseason. Penny and Chubb were drafted to be part of a RBBC rotation. Harris is going to be the workhorse, likely from day 1.

You really need to take a break and scrape off your shoes instead of stepping in it every time you post.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    trouble is there is more to the position then running the ball. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ohhh they were drafted to be RBBC, derp. You should be in the circus with these acrobatic moves.

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Blast -1
    Mad Steelers guy-0

• Like Like x 2
  15. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Chubb was a 2nd round pick to a team with Carlos Hyde and Duke Johnson. He didn't get more than 3 carries until week 7.

Penny was drafted onto a team with Chris Carson and Mike Davis and got 0 starts as a rookie, 85 carries all year.

You think that's the plan for Harris?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  16. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    The rest of us - :puking2:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :popcorn::tequila:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They drafted Chubbs to be the guy and he has done just that.

He was the 3rd pick in the 2nd rd, it’s funny you think teams don’t care about losing 2nd rd picks for the season.

19. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Realistically, the Super Bowl window is open only as long as we have Ben. The Steelers have to go all this next season, including getting everything they can out of Harris.

20. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Then why did he not become the guy until week 7?

The Steelers aren't going to bring along Harris like that, they have no one else, and we all know Tomlin's MO regarding workhorse backs. Risking him in meaningless games is silly.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe that’s how long it took them before they were comfortable turning it over to him but considering they traded Hyde and rolled with Chubbs in week 7 and never looked back, it was there plan all along to have him take over the starting roll that year when they drafted him.

22. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    I think we're passed the "go all in" phase. The Steelers have gone as far in as they're going to go. The chips are going to fall on this season where they fall at this point. Hopefully no chips fall on Ben.

Harris will make more out of bad OL play than our other backs, but we've got capable backs not named Harris who can run the ball behind good OL play. It's about the OL far more than the RB's. And even though your risk of injury is increased with each game (pre or regular season) the risk isn't greater in the pre-season. So giving him 50 touches during the pre-season is a risk, but getting him experience with gameday preparation is also important, as is the speed of the game and comfort with his OL. The reward is worth the risk.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I can’t believe you’re still arguing about this. You’ve gotten your ass kicked throughout this entire debate.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    I disagree. Make an argument, cheerleader, or kindly STFU.

25. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    The Steelers have 5 years of Harris. Use him and lose him. Running backs aren’t worth a 2nd contract.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1