1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB2 Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Aug 6, 2021.

1. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Well we got the first pre-season game out of the way. How do you feel the battle between Rudolph and Haskins is shaping up? While both of their performances were nothing to write home about (Dear Mom and Dad,...) I believe Mason had the slight edge. Bottom line, Rudolph didn't do anything to lose the job, but Haskins wasn't overwhelming either. The Mason fumble was an obvious miscommunication. I think Claypool was supposed to take the ball and not just a hand off. I don't know you can blame it on either one specifically. Definitely a shared blame! If the season started tomorrow I would say Mason is still QB2.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Fact check: True.

3. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I've really wanted to like Rudolph, and have tried for a few years now. There's just something about him that I don't like. He just doesn't seem to have that "it" factor. Rudolph has always kind of reminded me of a slightly better Landry Jones.
    I think Dobbs and Haskins have a higher ceiling, but also a lower floor. I guess it depends on how much the team wants to gamble.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Rudolph still looks like Scott Campbell to me. I just don't see him being anything more than serviceable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    In other news... we have a badass punter.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    We really need to get lucky and draft a QB for the future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    It's pretty much what I expected.

I am rooting for Haskins as I believe he has a greater upside than Rudolph.

Like I said before, people are going to realize what they had with Ben when he retires. Being a good QB is one thing but having a winning mentality is another.

I'm pretty certain Mason Rudolph will be handed the keys with pretty lucrative 2 to 3 year deal when Ben hangs it up so we'll to see if he can hang with the #1 team.

For this year, he's number 2 unless Haskins locks it in

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Neither did anything to make you think they are the QB of the future. I agree. I thought Mason was a bit better than Haskins. But not by much.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    One thing is clear. Anyone who was advocating to bench Big Ben and put in one of these guys is nuts. Even at 39, Ben is head and shoulders above all these guys. He was even still better when his knee was gimpy and his play tanked during the last quarter of last season.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Career backups. Haskins still has a chance if he can get the mental part of the game down, most talent out of all of them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    These 3 backups are good enough to make an NFL roster buts that about it. I know Rudolph and Hodges managed to get to an 8-8 record in 2019, but that was with the defense leading the league in sacks, forced turnovers and even scoring a few TD's. Without the defense playing out of their minds the Steelers wouldn't have won more than 4 or 5 games that year.

13. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Yeah right. Ben's performances in December of '18, '20 and playoffs vs. JAX and CLE.... were total feces shoved through a sludge filter.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Mason did better following the script and not over thinking it. Haskins was better at creating in chaos for gains.

15. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Honestly I thought Haskins looked better.

I thought Mason looked "efficient" and I mean that as a compliment. I thought Mason looked solid

Haskins looked in control. I thought he was going through his reads. If anything I thought he looked like he had a little bit of HAPPY FEET. He reminded me of that line about a Duck... he was calm and collected from the waist up... but under the water his feet were going like crazy. But that arm is hard to miss

Dobbs looked the most calm to me.. maybe thats because he has zero pressure on him.. or maybe because he is a vet playing against young newbies fighting for their spot.

Mason looked cautiously nervous
    Haskins looked energeticly nervous
    Dobbs looked as cool as the other side of the pillow.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Though I agree with You a lot. In this not much. I really can't name many Qbs that win a lot of games without the help of an at least decent Defense.
    It's like when Haters say Ben won his Super Bowls because He had a Great team around Him, and I say Name Me One Qb that Won a Super Bowl without a Great Team around Him.:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    i agree, Ben had a great team, but Ben was also great. If ben had that 2019 defense instead of duck and mason, you're looking at a deep run. Hopefully he is back on track another year after the injury. either way, he's easily the only QB on the roster right now that is competent

• Like Like x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Hoping to see Haskins get the start in game number 2 and then let Mason come in and open up the offense and throw the ball deep.

You have to let Mason play in a play action offense where you are pushing the ball down the field vertically.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Nothing I saw changes my current position that Rudolph is a very solid backup (maybe even a fringe starter) and Haskins is going to have to show a lot more than he has to this point of his career if he wants to beat out Rudolph for the backup spot.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Ben's performance in Dec of 2018 is worlds better than anything Mason or Haskins has put on tape.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Mason has shown flashes of being a starting QB in this league. I think it was very difficult to evaluate his talents given the horrible system we have been running. Mason looked the part until he got knocked out. He was terrible after that hit. Hopefully he can get his mojo back. If not I don't think Haskin's in the answer either but it's early. You cant really evaluate either of these guys given the new system and 1 pre season game.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Watching Mason throw that 2 yard pass on 3rd and 12 last night just made me sick.

Where was this new offense that everyone keeps talking about?

23. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    lol its week one of the preseason. You think they are running a system on the field to beat the cowboys? You are kidding I hope.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Haskins will prevail in the end if I were to place a wager. Seems to me that last night's performance was, as expected, a test run of sorts for Haskins. New OC, new QB Coach and new personnel are all still in progress; Haskins himself in this new overall team structure no less.

While he still does have some problems, his talent and ceiling far exceed both Dobbs and Rudolph. Giving him time in this new system will be paramount. Should he show good strides in game two next Thursday, that does bode well for him.

25. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    I thought Haskins did ok. I liked the bootleg throw to Rader.

Rudolph just looks very ordinary to me.

I went to bed when Dobbs came in so I didn't see him.