1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin and the HOF

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Aug 5, 2021.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Listening to SNR this afternoon and they were talking about the Stability of the organization. Specifically only having 3 different head coaches in 52 years. Noll and Cowher are both in the HOF and they seem to believe Tomlin will make it.
    So my question is do you think Tomlin will be in the HOF at some point?
    Not asking if you think he should or shouldn’t, asking if you think he will.

My answer is yes.

2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    145-78-1 regular season

8-8 Playoffs

1 SB win

IMO that should not qualify for the HOF but it seems to me that all sports have got loose for what it takes to make the HOF therefor Mike Tomlin will make the HOF especially after this years SB.;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Those numbers are comparable to Cowhers. But Bill got lucky: he was on TV for national pregame shows that kept him visible, so when the NFL decided to pack the HoF for the league’s centennial, Bill was well positioned for induction. If there’s no special 100th year class, does Bill get in? I tend to doubt it. Tomlin will not get that break. So he probably doesn’t get in ON HIS CuRRENT RESUME. He’s only 49, if he coaches 10 more yrs and gets 100 more wins, he’ll be in the top 5 all time, even if he never wins another title. That could get him in.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I agree, I don't think Tomlin HOF right now, he just needs to steer the ship into some winning playoff football and if he can do that and amass more wins that will help his cause and make him more HOF worthy, so basically I am moving on from the past, not complaining and dwelling on it, looking to whats in front of us,

• Like Like x 1
  5. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Should he be prob not!

Will he be prob so :facepalm:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    He is just about a lock at this point..

He is one of eight NFL Head Coaches to win 100 games or more within their first ten seasons. More so, he is also second only to Don Shula for having reached 125+ wins or more in their first 11 seasons. Should he post yet another non losing season and make it deep into the playoffs (hopefully a Super Bowl win), he is a lock as he will be over 150+ wins. Of the coaches that he will have surpassed by that point in wins, Joe Gibbs, Steve Owen, Bud Grant and Bill Cowher, Tomlin will have likely clinched an NFL Record 15th straight non losing season. No other coach can lay claim to that; Don Shula and Bill Belichick included. Realistically speaking, outside of winning another Super Bowl, there is not much that Mike Tomlin can add to his Hall of Fame resume.

That said, acquiring that Lombardi will all but place him in Canton. All he needs at this point. He gets that, all bets are off.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Agreed, the teams win,but would gladly trade those 1 game over .500 seasons for another SB, and a some deeper drives into the PO's.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I am certain Tomlin would as well. That said and, given the circumstances, Tomlin has been consistent. Now, is the goal for Steelers fans to win a Super Bowl? Without a doubt. The team shares the same feelings as the fans. Here in lies the major difference; outlined below between how the fans think versus how the Steelers think.

- Fans want to sell out and shell out to go for it all; damn the consequences. A Super Bowl is the ultimate prize and the ultimate contrast in the NFL; as the top team of the mountain, many teams are now going to gun for that crown. Free agency and the draft are separate complications that deserve their own thread all together. As a result? These "Russian Rolette" teams are often bad to abysmal the following season; the Bears trading heaven and earth to nab Khalil Mack and the Rams acquiring Jalen Ramsey. Some might even argue that the Tampa Bay Bucs are a "Super Team" but really it is the end result of a "Superman" that essentially holding that team together. Without Tom Brady, that Bucs team does not even sniff the NFC Championship Game; again underlying the importance of having a balanced team.

- The Team (Steelers here) are not just thinking for the short term but also the long term. That was part of a major reason why Pittsburgh has had such unrivaled success in all of Team Professional Sports; doubly so in football. Since the merger, no team has had more sustained success than the Steelers and it is by their own contrast; a Super Bowl is great but the continued effort to remain to compete for one is one of immense significance. Even during the low light years of both Noll after the 70s and Bill Cowher in the early 2000s, those teams were competitive in the games that they did not emerge as winners. Tomlin is another success story within three books of the Steelers Organization dating back to 1970. This had, has and will always be the Rooney's M.O.; build a consistent winner to compete for the Super Bowl. Not win the Super Bowl at all costs.

Would I like to see another Super Bowl win for the Steelers? I would want nothing more. That said, plenty has to go right for any team to hoist the Lombardi; all the more reason it is so difficult to win it and never mind get there.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Once Ben retires and Tomlin continues to rack up winning seasons and then I think he is a lock to get in.
    When Ben retires and the team collapses and staggers through a 3 or 4 season drought of only 6 or 7 wins then I'm not too sure he makes it in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I am not sure about the HOF but a lot of our posters here sure seem to want him gone. Just an observation.

11. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I think he gets in. Just like Cowher, I think he will have to wait. But IMO he is a lock.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The Yinzers have gone 50+ yrs without a bozo coach. Almost every other team has had one. Tomlin might not be the best coach in the league. But he’s far from the worst. Maybe Fredo will make a bad hire next time around, and a parade of 3-14, 4-13 seasons will remind the locals that non losing seasons with regular playoff appearances are something short of hell. Of course, that can’t happen to our team!

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  14. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I think that he's a lock. He's currently tied with Pete Carroll at #20 for all time wins, and the winningest black coach in NFL history. Short of him burning down an orphanage, I don't see how he doesn't get in.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Yes, and likely on the first ballot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Tomlin will get in. Soon after he retires.

He's our black Tom Landry with his NFL record.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    Yes, he is one of the most successful coaches of this era.
    Of head coaches that coached at any point from 2000-Present he is fifth in winning percentage (Belichick, Dungy, Jim Harbaugh, Mcvay (Harbaugh and McVay have only coached four seasons)). And 1 of only 4 coaches to coach multiple Super Bowls (Belichick, Reid, Carrol).
    Dungy is already in. Belichick is absolutely going in. Reid is going in. He and Carrol are in the same boat where 5+ more good seasons will make them locks. On top of all that he is the winningest black/minority head coach of all time. Regardless of whether or not one thinks that should count for something, it does. He is also 11th all-time in win percentage of coaches that have coached at least 100 games.

Considering how similar (and superior is many ways) his career numbers are to Cowher's the reasons for keeping him out are slim to none. Pure objective analysis says he is getting in.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Yes. He will get into the hall.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Yea tell Tom Brady that….

The best Coaches and players find a way to win the big games from time to time, not every year but it’s very possible. MT has won 3 playoff games in 10 years! HOF??? LOL

I feel like TOMLIN apologists see the same late season swoon every year and get up in arms at that time but the following year have amnesia. Well the sad part is you will be able to revisit the same result yet again this season although with Bens age/ OL combo I’m not so sure it’s a late season swoon this time around.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Losing seasons didn’t keep Cowher out.

21. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    A lot of fans wanted Cowher gone, especially in the late 90’s.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    If he retired today he would be borderline leaning towards yes, if he stays and keeps winning his chances greatly improve. If he stays and they lose for a while in the post-Ben era, that hurts his chances.

23. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    MT's HOF, would stand for Hall Of Fakes. If he got into the real one, he would be put into the Cheerleaders section, right beside the Cowgirls.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  24. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Yes.... but he doesn't deserve it. Win another SB and I'll be convinced.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    The HOF won't look at it that way. He has won 8 Playoff games and has taken a team to 2 SB's winning 1. Of course it will be 2 after this miracle season.;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1