1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers and HOF

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by MojaveDesertPghFan, Jul 16, 2021.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This Years would have been the best in a long time 2 go , with all the Steeler in it.
    Yes I definitely must go someday, but only when a Steeler is being inducted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Yes, absolutely! I just wish I could stay for both days.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Megatron played for a HOF inductee starved team also. The hall can't be all black n gold so they have many Steelers on the waiting list.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Daily lineup wont be out till AUG

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    You're right Thorn, forgot about them being inducted. Good time as well for Steelers to play in the relatively meaningless HOF game. Ohio has to just hate Pittsburgh (except our few loyal comrades herein). :drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    OK that's why. Thanks.:thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    They should just add a Steelers wing onto the building and be done with it already.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I have always wondered why that Canton will not add wings to teams with 20+ or more longstanding players. Little to no room perhaps?

• Like Like x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Regarding Andy Russell and James Harrison, of the two, Russell should get in first. That said, I SERIOUSLY DOUBT the NFL HOF Committee is willing to stomach another player from that era; much less a Steelers player given Peter King's recent omissions. Regardless, Russell not only has the All Pro totals but the rings to back it up. Really, why he has yet to appear on the Senior Committee is intriguing to me to say the least.

Assuming Russell does somehow, someway get in, at some point though, that now counts a total of seven total HOF Players on that side of the ball (assuming that LC has also gotten in at this point). Insane should that happen. That said, thanks to both the aforementioned John Turney and Pro Football Reference, one number to keep an eye on; 38.

That is the total number of sacks Russell had in his career. For reference, Bobby Bell has two more sacks at 40. Still not convinced? What about Derrick Brooks; only 13.5 although he was a better coverage player than he ever was a Blitzer. The main reason why I do not think Andy may never get in is due to the lack of First Team All Pros in it of themselves. One sadly just will not cut it. If not that, having only two Defensive Touchdowns is not helping his cause either.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Bonds really isn't relevant. His absence from the HOF has absolutely nothing to do with what happened on the field. It is all about too many baseball voters taking an antiquated and hypocritical approach when they fill out their ballots.

Both guys have character issues, but they are very different types of character issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I can't see Russell ever getting in. I don't think any more of the Steelers from the '70s are going to get there.

I think Harrison has the better resume and the better shot. He was first-team All-Pro twice and Defensive Player of the Year once. Like Russell, Harrison also has two rings, though he was primarily a backup and special teamer in 2005, starting just three games that season. He was stuck behind Porter and Haggans. Harrison also doesn't have the issue of voters thinking he had too many other Hall of Fame players around him, something that absolutely works against Greenwood and Russell.

12. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    he did after the fact. he knows he played with an all time great qb thats undeniable.

• Like Like x 2
  13. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    he was accused of cheating. different case.

14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes and no. While AB certainly has the numbers and a ring he hasn't exactly endeared himself to the Hall's voters yet. Like @Formerscribe said about Bonds it is more about the attitude of the voters than either's play during their career. I think Bonds would have made more headway if he had admitted that he doped up rather than categorically denying it for so long.

The Antonio Brown who had a close relationship with Dan Rooney, who was respectful to him and all they did for him when they didn't have to. That guy was a lock for the Hall no question about it.

The Brown that went thermal nuclear on the Steelers, Raiders and Patriots, the one who exposed himself to an artist he had hired, drove at high speeds through PA, threw furniture off the balcony and then went 5 different shades of crazy on the press for being against him. That guy is going to have trouble with Hall purists.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think that is true about Bonds at all. There is still a significant percentage of voters who will not vote for a PED user no matter the circumstances. Maybe that will change when David Ortiz's turn rolls around because he is so well-liked and Bonds is not, but I don't think confessing would have worked for Bonds.

Brown is going to be a weird case, but a very different one from that of Bonds. He helped himself last season, too, by adding a Super Bowl to his resume.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Thank You Very Much.
    Looks like a Saturday for Me.:thumbs_up:

18. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Holler at me if ya come

• Like Like x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    For Sure. I'll You know:thumbs_up::rawk:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Me too and I can easily drive. I Would have loved to bathe in this Steeler love fest.
    I guess average people have no shot at big sporting events?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Mfdavis1

Mfdavis1 New Member

Jul 28, 2021
    Heading to Canton next week for the festivities! Any must do/see Steelers spots outside of theHOF?

• Like Like x 1