1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The O-Line Issue

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Fe3CCity, Jun 30, 2021.

1. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Banner was an All American in HS, not college. What options do the Steelers have if he doesn't work out?

Man, could have used your blind optimism in the first world war on the front lines.

"They're going to run out of bullets eventually, and think about it, mustard gas is made from mustard, which we put on hot dogs. We'll be fine. :cool:"

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    What do we really have on the O line in terms of accomplished NFL players? [edit - I’m mainly referring to the present day, heading into the 2021 season]. Let’s go position by position:

Tackle:
    - Chuks has a grand total of 1,262 career snaps, 1,033 of which came last year. Last year he didn’t earn a job, he was thrust into it due to injury and performed well below the line for a starter.
    - Banner has 302 snaps on his NFL resume, and many of those are as a 3rd TE or and/or in goal line packages. I think we’ve seen indications that he may be a competent RT, and he was a very solid RT a few years back in college, but the fact is that if he accomplishes anything, it will be a career first.
    - Moore of course has no NFL experience, but if you go to YouTube and watch “Texas A&M Offensive Line vs” you can find a number of his games from 2020. Just focus in on #65 and ask yourself, is this guy ready to play vs. NFL edges? The reason that he lasted until the 4th round isn’t just that O line was deep in the draft, it’s also that he needs some serious work to become an NFL tackle.
    - Haeg is probably the most sure thing that we have at T. He was a respectable starting RT in his first 2 seasons in 2016 and 2017, but he lost his job in 2018 when he missed the middle of the season with an injury, and when he got back he played RG in places of an injured player and never earned a starting T position again. Still, he’s almost a certainty to be a capable swing tackle and spot starter, especially on the right side, and can sub in at guard if needed. This was a good signing for depth, but only for depth.
    - The other guys have no meaningful experience other than Collins having 77 snaps in 4 NFL seasons.

Guard:
    - Dotson looked the part last season in his ~300 snaps. I think we’re all counting on him to be at least a solid NFL starter. I think he will be, but he’s certainly no certainly not a vet who has been there, done that. There can, and probably will be further growing pains before he fully settles in as the player we expect him to be.
    - Thomas hasn’t played a full 16 game season since 2016. He played 9 games last year, and 13 games in each of 2017, 2018 and 2019. He was awful last season, but I think it’s reasonable to attribute that to injury. Still, you can’t impact if you’re on the trainer’s table on Sundays, and he has not been a model of durability.
    - Which Finney did we resign? The Finney who was a solid backup in 2016 - 2018, the Finney who was a mediocre backup in 2019 or the Finney who couldn’t hold a job in 2020? The answer to that question may be pretty important this season for both the guard and center positions.
    - Hassenauer wasn’t awful in his limited playing time, but he sure as hell wasn’t good, and never showed anything that would lead anyone to crown him as a future starter. OK inside depth, but that’s about it.
    - As for Coward, I have not gone back to watch every snap of any Bears games when he played guard, but what I have watched of him shows a non-NFL player period. FWIW PFF’s scores for him also equate to guys who shouldn’t even be in the league. Could he surprise? Doubtful.
    - Again, the other guys offer nothing in terms of NFL experience or college pedigree.

Center:
    - Green remains unsigned. His college film has some nice work and a fair number of clunker plays, but the good far outweighs the bad. Problem is, most of that good work was from the left guard position so he’ll likely need to work on both improving his overall play and the specific techniques required for a center in a zone scheme. I think it’s far from certain that he’ll be able to do so and avoid struggles in the early part of the season. So much so that the team may choose to protect him and wait a while before he enters the starting lineup. That means Hassenauer or Finney possibly starting at center Day 1. To be clear, I think Green has a bright future here, but we’re talking about 2021 right now.
    - See Finney and Hassenauer above.

So is there any position that we can point to and say “we’ll be OK here because this guy has been there, done that for a few years?” No. I think the best we can do is point to Dotson’s 300 or so NFL snaps and say that he’s going to be fine because of what he showed us in limited play last season. I’ve never seen an NFL offensive line put together a solid season starting from where we’re starting. If it happens this year, it will be a story fit for Hollywood.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    okrafor was an all-american in college as a left tackle. did i say banner was? no.

i believe the NFL outlawed mustard gas a few years back. the only team that used it after that was new england and they were fined for it and maybe lost a 38th draft pick or something like that. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    My bad, I misread that.

Pretty funny joke, too. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 2
  5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

moore was pegged as needing some NFL coaching to get to the next level, not unlike many rookies. they also pegged his ceiling as one of the highest of any draft picks coming out this year after said coaching. you can also watch his run blocking in the outside zone scheme and see a guy that is very good at it and can hit multiple targets on the move. 3 years as the top line in the SEC is where he comes from. he is part of that for a reason. maybe not day one but it's not all about this one year.

finney has lost the weight he gained when he left here which is a good sign. he was a very capable backup when he was here before. saw the money out there and went for it only to find out he wasn't happy away from home. if rededicated to where he always wanted to be, it could be a big plus.

footwork and mobility are a big part of the outside zone scheme for tackles.
    big bodies inside, especially at guard is part of the zone scheme as well.
    center needs a mix of both in this scheme. green fits that bill.
    if you look at the players we have, it looks like that is what they have gone after. guys that can fit this new scheme. i don't think the whole process is a finished one yet but it's a start. too much emphasis is being put on this year only. even colbert came out and said we can't put all the pieces in place in one year for this change. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Nice post!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Just to be clear, here and in other threads where you’ve debated me on this subject, I’m talking about 2021 in particular. Why? Because we have extended an aging QB and his one of his favorite receivers for 1 year with voidable future years that will hurt our cap situation in 2022. We’re seemingly going for it in 2021 in one sense, but not providing the core foundation for the QB, receivers or our stud rookie RB to have success. The line is important. No NFL team can be successful with a poor performing O line. Just look at the Super Bowl. The Chiefs offense was an absolute machine with it’s starting O line, but when a few key O line starters went down all of the talent and speed in the world meant squat. We have some guys who show future potential, but we need them to be NFL caliber right now. In another thread someone likened it to needing several lottery tickets to pay off, and in a sense that’s an accurate analogy. An O line can manage with 1 weak link. If it has 3 or 4 weak links, look out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Too many "ifs" surrounding the OL and hope for the best. Like they say, hope in one hand and sh!t in the other hand and see which one fills up faster.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Let's face it the Steelers have put undrafted and unproven offensive lines on the field for years now. We didn't hear this much complaining in the past. We had a franchise qb that was in his prime and didn't worry as much that we were all in at that point. Shouldn't we have wanted it then? AV, feiler, finney, foster, beachum, legursky, hubbard, wallace, valasco, to name a few. Even draft picks were barely can't miss players. Starks, colon, simmons, gilbert, adams, essex. Why does this unit surprise anyone? Why now? :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Cuz they're running five question marks out in a single season?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    What if the person can sh!t hope?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Or Wishes. :smiley1:

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Please. That's not true. One's a five time pro bowler. One was our starter until injured. We have seen two others play last year. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Five time Pro Bowler who regressed the past four seasons and is coming off of an injury plagued year. He's a question mark in 2021.

For years you could be confident heading into the season in guys like AV, Pounce, DD, Foster...that's not the case with a single OL in 2021.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    at first you knew nothing about foster, AV, feiler, and it was up in the air about pouncey with his knee and ankle problems to start with and even DD had a knee issue. remember he took pouncey out at first. so no they were just as much question marks as any of these guys. how easily we forget. :cool:

16. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    When is the last time we had question marks about all five OL heading into a season?

I'll hang up and listen.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    probably 2010- 2015. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    [​IMG]

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Dotson isn't a question mark, he will be a solid starter IMO.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    not a thing the team can do about pouncey retiring. not a thing the team can do about DD's ankle. they couldn't afford a contract for an aging AV. feiler should have been kept in my opinion but not as a guard. but again they like banner and knew for the last couple of years what they had in him and he was destined to be our starting RT. tomlin said as much.

when your line gets old real quick that you have had for several years and you didn't have to worry about it, it's a shock when it all comes tumbling down. they drafted hawkins. they drafted okrafor. they drafted dotson. it's not like they did nothing to prepare. it's not the teams fault that the salary cap went south this year when we needed some replacements but it did and you all act like this was planned or not planned by the team. it is what it is and you better hope these guys can play that they drafted.

if okrafor was that bad don't you think they would have gotten rid of him before this? they did with hawkins. maybe, just maybe they do know a little more about who they brought in then you guys do. maybe they are pretty happy with what they will be fielding this year considering all that went on with the cap. i don't believe they should have paid big money to some of our former linemen that ranked dead last in the league just to make one more year for ben. trying to build for one year never works out. this year they were forced to. many things went against this team all at once last year. this is the start of the future not the end of what was. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m hoping the O-line is a strength this season.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    haven't you heard?

Dotson hasn't been working out and is well over 400 lbs. and with all the ribs he's eating today he won't be able to even run anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  23. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    You know what I see in this thread...assumptions. We really don't know what we have on the Oline. The problem with this line may not be ability, but experience. Let's look through what we lost on the oline from last year.

LT - We go from AV to Chuks. While I don't know what Chuks is going to give us, AV was horrible last year. Penalties. Just straight shots to Ben off the line as he is beaten clean. Couldn't win a battle or get push in the running game. Basically if he had not been the starter going into the year, he may not have been the starter. I can't help but wonder if Chuks would have gotten some snaps in his place last year. I just don't see a huge step down in ability. Maybe we will see the lack of experience, but I am not seeing it.

LG - If there was any player on the line I hated it was Feiler. I think he was a pure example of the passive style this line liked to play. AV was passive. Feiler made him look aggressive. He is one player that I think with Dotson being the full time guy we have actually upgraded.

C - So Pouncey was, notice I said was, at one point in his career dominant. I don't know if was playing next to the passive Feiler or next to the hurt DeCastro, but the guy looked horrible last year. Struggled with shot gun snaps and frequently got run over at the line of scrimmage. All that being said, this position will be a downgrade mostly due to experience. Maybe Green is a stud out of the gate, but I doubt it.

RG - From one former All Pro injured guard to another. The only thing DeCastro has over Turner is the known element. He may be a wart, but he was our wart and we knew him well. You knew what you were going to get from DD. Turner we really don't know. If he still the All Pro who has just struggled with injuries or is he washed up.

RT - Banner won the job over our guy from last year. Let's hope that he deserved it and is an upgrade.

Are there any other factors which will work in one way or another for our Oline?

1. New OL coach. Never liked the guy we had in charge after Munchak left. I think he favored the passive fundamentally right guys over the guys who would knock you on your butt even though at times they would make mistakes. The WAY we are going to play is going to change. It could be a major positive.

2. We have an upgrade at the RB position, probably. Look Snell, Connor, etc. were never going to do things on their own. If you watch Harris' tape it happened a couple of times every game it seemed where the Oline blew it, but he still made something happen. The Oline doesn't have to open huge holes, just hole their blocks enough to give him some light. THAT will impact the effectiveness of the Oline, even with pass blocking. We couldn't run, everyone knew it. They almost dared us to run, but we still couldn't do it.

3. Lastly, there is the element of inexperience does NOT equal effectiveness. Chase Claypool had no experience compared to Smith Shuster last year and less than say James Washington, but the reality is the talent rose to the top. Could this line actually have more talent? Maybe?

AV - Undrafted
    Feiler - Undrafted
    Pouncey - 1st
    DeCastro - 1st
    Banner/Chuks - 4th/3rd

This year:

Chuks - 3rd
    Dotson - 4th
    Green - 3rd
    Turner - 3rd
    Banner - 4th

Now, while this isn't an elite group, it has less "had to earn" their spots type. Scouts thought these guys deserved to be in the NFL.

Much like having a bias doesn't make what you say wrong, having little experience doesn't mean you can't play.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I can’t argue with much of that. I don’t think any of the players on the line are horrible individually speaking, and they should all be capable of starting in the league. Some of them may turn out to be very good in fact.

It’s the fact that they are basically building the line from scratch in one offseason with a new coaching staff is the worry. Even if we take a massively rose tinted view of the players and staff you are still virtually guaranteed to have teething issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It could take weeks for our new OL to gel, in that time we have
    to outwork, out strategize play with urgency and passion. I am a half glass full type of
    guy. Lets line em up and see what happens? I believe if they play with passion we will be ok. Green will be key
    he has to hit the road running, I expect him to be starting week 1, yes he will take his knocks. But
    let the chips fall where they may. Play hard and intelligent it will pay dividends.

• Like Like x 1