1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by biggbunch68, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Mason is a backup who’s more likely to follow in Landry Jones footsteps and be coaching in the XFL before he is ever a starting QB in this league let alone lead the team to a SB or AFCCG, don’t care if Belichick is game planning for him.

Why in a couple years will it be Tomlins team? They’ll hire a new GM. There’s always going to be excuses made, Cowhers players, Colberts players, the new GM’s players, he’s winning because (insert new QB here). I mean we literally have a season of Tomlin coaching without Ben to look at. He was 8-5 before flaming out to go 8-8. Now if that’s what you mean by Tomlin not being able to win without Ben, fine but hows that different than the results he has had with Ben? He’s flamed out in like 3 of the last 4 seasons.

He didn’t even have the benefit of building an offense around Rudolph like Cowher did with his QB’s. I don’t know how that bolsters your argument, he got thrown into a dumpster fire and still had them in playoff contention.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Why can't I provide a good example of a bad HC? Gase isn't a good HC. Some HC had early success. Like Quinn in ATL. Quinn flamed out quickly.

There is a nice list of HC that flamed out since Tomlin became the HC of the Steelers. Tomlin is still here helping this organization to remain competitive and win and some of you remain stuck on.............. whatever.

Why is it that people like to fault Tomlin for what he inherited? I never understood this. It makes no sense to fault Tomlin for what he inherited. He helped to keep the ship upright and helped the team win regardless of whatever happened.

When you minimize what Tomlin helped this organization accomplish then you minimize the Steelers organization accomplishments. SMH.

I believe Tomlin can help this organization win another Superbowl. He helped this organization do it in the past. They've been close since. Many fans would fall of the wagon if the Steelers failed to win consistently during the regular season.

One difference between you and me is that I realize how difficult it is to win in the regular season, post season, and win the Superbowl. I pay attention to the other teams in the league. Again, I will take the regular season wins until the Steelers can manage to build another Superbowl winner.

Winning another Superbowl might be with Tomlin, without Tomlin, or not at all for the remainder of my life time. So yeah, winning feels better than losing no matter when it happens.

The Steelers could hire the next Quinn or Gase. See how you feel then.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Some folks will move the goal posts short of a Superbowl victory.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Tomlin is more Barry Switzer, George Seifert vs Noll, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Walsh. The first group inherited a great situation the ladder made the situation great. Tomlin has kept the Steelers relevant yes but playoff wins and Super Bowls are the goal anything less you didn’t get the job done.

5. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't really care about what situation a HC inherited. Why does it matter so much to you?

Another difference between me and you is that Superbowls wins are not all that matter to me. Success can be measured outside of championships.

Did you become a doctor in life or reach the highest peak in your profession? If you did or did not do you view your life as a failure? I'm not a doctor but my life is a success story.

In the Steelers realm, if the players didn't giving the ball away in the playoffs then maybe the Steelers would have a few more Superbowls Ws in the trophy case. Neil O'Donnell, Kordell Stewart, and Ben Rothelisberger were all culprits of turnovers in the playoffs. Turnovers are team and killers bro. Coaches have a difficult time over coming critical mistakes. There are anomalies but the %'s show this over and over in regard to turnovers.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SteelerfnVA

Nov 7, 2011
    I know when we would turn the ball over in games it can all be related to how we looked in practice and our preparations so maybe the preparation being done is not being done with enough intensity or scrutiny by the coaching staff. The lay zay fair attitude in games doesn’t just show up on Sunday it’s gotta happen during the week as well.

When playing a sport the object is to win. When there are championships and trophies up for grabs if you don’t win then that ultimately is a team failure. The season can be a success in other fashions ( experience, team building, growth etc) but with those successes your counting on those small wins to get you closer to a championship if not then your apart of the everyone gets a trophy crowd and why even play if everyone wins. It’s been 10 seasons since they won and recently the small wins are not showing results in the fashion of getting closer to a championship so why keep the leader if he’s not getting the team closer. That’s my argument and we will not agree. There are many that agree with your stance Tomlin is not part of the problem and there are plenty that agree with me that he is a part of the problem. As I’ve stated I’ll continue to support and root each week cause being from western PA it’s in my blood and I love that fact, but I will always be pissed when they lose their last game and don’t win it all. This being a message board is where I will come to celebrate or air my distaste for their play or decisions being made. I don’t agree with the sediment Mike Tomlin is a good coach he’s avg at best in my book. Again in my opinion.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Switzer got fired after a short stint, try harder next time :facepalm:.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SteelerfnVA

Nov 7, 2011
    :lolol:
    The comparison was a coach that took over a team and won a championship with the team intact. Not a coach that built a championship team.

9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Jon Gruden did the same thing, Tomlin had 2 draft classes before he won the Super Bowl, so your argument still sucks :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SteelerfnVA

Nov 7, 2011
    So your saying the team that won SB 43 was Tomlin built. Ok and you say my argument sucks. 3 guys Timmons and Woodly were contributors and Timmons wasn’t even a starter. Stapleton started on the OL as well. So yea all Tomlin in SB 43 3 starters out of 22 thank god for his great drafts in 06 and 07 or we would never would have won 6. This is fruitless. Some love Tomlin and some don’t and I’m in the ladder period.

11. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    I am not a championship or bust guy. The Steelers won .650 with Tomlin as HC. I realized a long time ago that the Steelers are not going to win championships the large MAJORITY OF THE TIME. I can find joy in the wins every week. I'm disappointed in the losses. I don't let the losses consume me or cloud my judgement.

Tomlin is still one of the best coaches in the league. That can't be disputed at this point. You just keep living on fantasy island. Keep believing the HC of this team is a major problem. I will continue with my belief that Tomlin can help this organization win another championship.

He helped this organization make it to 2 Superbowls and 9 playoff appearances in 14 years. There are reasons to believe he can do it again.

For you there isn't any point following or watching this team if you don't believe. Or maybe the wins and competitiveness matter outside of the championships?

I'll let you pounder what the wins mean to you. At some point the Steelers could become a consistent 6-10 losing team. Fans may not believe it can happen but it can. That's sports.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelerfnVA

Nov 7, 2011
    We will see how good ole Mikey is when he has to go at it without a HOF qb. Ben is definitely in the other side of the hill and just as responsible for some of the losses but without Ben that 650 win percentage is dust, Tomlins tenure would look a lot like the 80s and early 90s without Ben. Big question is how long will he hold on after Ben if they don’t land a franchise QB cause I’m sure he doesn’t want that win % tarnished too much. That’s his ticket to a gold jacket even though I don’t believe he deserves one.

• Like Like x 1
  13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Who cares if the HC didn't build the whole team? Without Woodley they might not have won the Super Bowl in 2008, he had 2 sacks in each of the three playoff games that year, I think he also had a strip sack of Kurt Warner at the end of the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Patently false.

In 1996, Jim Miller threw the Steelers into a dumpster fire, and Cowher turned to Tomczak.

In 2002, Kordell threw the Steelers into a dumpster fire, and Cowher turned to Maddox and completely changed the offense.

Cowher just didn't get them into playoff contention, he got them in the playoffs.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Comparing the loss of Jim Miller to the loss of Ben seems to me like a bit of a stretch.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    The ladder period? Is that where you can't decide if you want to go on the roof?

• Like Like x 2
  17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I figured that it was one of the words or phrases people commonly mix up. Like for all intents and purposes becomes intensive purposes or moot point to mute point or the entire lyrics to Bad Moon Rising or Have you ever seen the rain. To this day my Dad can't say supposedly and pronounces it supposeably.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Turning to a backup QB and making the playoffs was the point. But your point is valid. The Steelers offense IS Ben. The gameplan is usually garbage and then Ben starts calling his own plays and bails them out.

Without Ben, you have some average QB running a crap offense and he isn't good enough to overcome the lack of coaching/planning.

That's kind of the whole point.

19. SteelerfnVA

Nov 7, 2011
    latter sorry iPhone fixed it the wrong way.

But with Tomlin at the helm the ladder comes I to question a lot.

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Correct. Woodley ended that game for the Cards.
    I was a huge fan of his till he got 2 fat, and happy for Himself.....which you definitely can't be and retain a competitive edge.

• Like Like x 1
  21. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    There's a bathroom on the right....

• Like Like x 1
  22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Haha I figured just busting chops.

• Like Like x 1
  23. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    The standard is the standard and that means staying in the middle to lower part of the pack for 3 more years. More of the team being unprepared and Tomlin getting out coached routinely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    My knock against Tomlin is...I think Colbert is the best in the league, and has given Tomlin Championship caliber rosters...The Ben, AB, Bell with their prime led rosters... continually underachieved!

Every team is gonna have a blip but..The Tebow game! The Jacksonville horror show! The Cleveland game! These were out and out embarrassments, and that falls on the HC!

The Cleveland game had me more more furious as a fan, than of any game in my life! Rested everyone week 16! At Home for the playoffs! Cleveland didn't practice ALL week! Had THIRD string players on the OL! ( One of whom signed off the street TWO days prior to the game, and the QB didn't even know his name! THEY DIDN'T EVEN HAVE A HC!!!!!!! Or ANY practice!

They took the Browns for granted, Bens miscues aside..The D wasn't even interested in playing! Your 2 supposed leaders Heyward and Watt ( Watt, the supposed DPOY was matched up against said RT who they didn't know his name ) and had ONE tackle the whole game, and Captain Heyward was tugging on his pants after the FIRST series, out of gas, against that THIRD team OL...

And then got blown out!!!!! Complete and utter embarrassment! And the Steelers reward him afterwards with a NEW contract!

The team is a reflection of their HC...And their HC is an UNDERACHIEVER!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    You'll never change my mind after that game...For ALL the reasons mentioned...Do you not remember ALL the talking heads going on and on ( about all the things I mentioned ) and questioning Tomlin! But, You don't question him? You're steadfast with your devotion and loyalty, come hell or high water?

Nah!

• Agree Agree x 1