1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will you consider it a disaster of a draft if the Steelers start Saturday without having added a RB

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Brice, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    That would mean they did not draft a RB in round 1, or 2, or 3.

I think there are the 2 top running backs and then there is the rest of the field.

Both players are seniors coming from the best college programs in the land and have faced the best Defenses that college football has had to offer. The defensive players they have played against do not get any better, and the games they have played in do not getting any bigger.

It is Clemson vs Alabama, you don't get any better than that.

No idea what the Steelers would do if they enter Saturday's draft without having added a RB on Day 1 or Day 2.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    The Steelers desperately need to grab one of the top three backs in this draft. You can not go into 21 with Snell or Ballage as your starter.

After Etienne, Harris, and Williams, the remaining backs in the draft are a crapshoot. Maybe you strike gold. Maybe you strike out. The Steelers have left themselves no room for error. They can't afford to strike out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Yeah, I just read this mock draft and was like No RB in the first 3 rounds for the Steelers; WTF???
    Three-Round 2021 NFL Mock Draft: Patriots trade with Cowboys and land QB, as Dallas goes heavy on defense - CBSSports.com

1st RD) Caleb Farley CB
    55. Steelers: Liam Eichenberg, OT, Notre Dame
    87. Steelers: Ronnie Perkins, EDGE, Oklahoma

End of Day 2...

This looks like it would be a good draft if you consider the individual players, but you have created this huge hole at RB this offseason that you have to address.

Would it be time to swallow that lump in the back of your throat that tastes a little like puke and call Le'Veon Bell?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  4. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    There are good running backs available after the 2nd round, there always are. It totally matters how thing play out. The Jets, the Dolphins, Tampa Bay all need to improve their running game. If we don't take one on day 1, it matters who does. Last year there was one RB taken in the first, at pick 32. This year there may be none. Or three.
    If the Steelers have, for example, Harris at 20 and Etienne at 25, there's no way we pick Etienne, because there will be someone ranked higher when we pick.
    I think that if we don't select a RB until round 4 (Sunday), It matters who we get on the O-line. If we get Darisaw and Dickerson, well, hell.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes, and he better be starter capable.

6. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    While a stud RB would be nice, I still think he needs someone to block for him. They need help on the OL. And, if Ben refuses to be under center again this year, you could have Barry Sanders back there and it wouldn't matter.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    No.

I prefer to take Harris in Round 1 but if we don't, c'est la vie.

If we don't take a RB in round 1 it's unlikely we get one of the top 3.

I'm cool with Michael Carter or Kenny Gainwe in the 3rd.

Whatever happened with Trey Sermon? Guy looked legit when he was on the field.

Chubba was probably a 2nd if he came out last year. I'm less optimistic on him.

Jaret Patterson put up video game numbers with Buffalo.

I think there's a couple of options I'll be happy with. I do fully expect to take a RB before Saturday though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No , but everyone that hasn't blocked me knows I'd prefer Defense(CB,and LB) and then the o- line before everything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    What @SteelCity_NB stated. Rather, let me put it another way....

Najee Harris can be great. Jeremiah Owusu Koramoah...., in this defense, has a chance to be special. Draft the player and not the position.

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    After the first round then guys like these should be in play
    Jaret Patterson
    Trey Sermon
    Chuba Hubbard

• Like Like x 1
  11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Hopefully people know that Saturday is the start of round 4.

I have added a note as most comments look like they are assuming I am only talking about round 1.
    That would mean they did not draft a RB in round 1, or 2, or 3.

12. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Bell is done. period. He missed a whole year and didn't play well coming back last year. No thanks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    After the third round, these guys should be in play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    No, especially if they end up with Dickerson or Humprey at C, a starting T, and a blocking TE.

15. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Sermon, ramondre stevenson, gainwell etc.... All can probably had in the 3rd and 4th

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I think people are seriously sleeping on Kylin Hill. I think he's a 3rd-4th rd guy. Like him a lot.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    If I were gm it would be hard to pass on Harris if he were available;however, we are better off solidifying the line before worrying about running backs. C, LT, TE, and to some extent RG are all more pressing needs than a running back.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We can wait, but I’d rather it is a guy who will be the clear #1 on the depth chart.

The more you wait the more you think the best the guy can do is compete with Snell for the starting spot. I guess I’m not super high on Snell and if the dude isn’t any better, and can’t beat him out, it is going to be a long season.

19. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I will say I would usually agree with this statement 99% of the time. Choosing a 1st round RB is usually not a smart idea especially when the Oline needs so much work. And add to that there will be multiple defensive players who are BPA at positions of need.

However...

Ben came back for 1 more year. We brought JuJu back for 1 more year. We are serious at making another run.

No player in the draft will help us more in 2021 than Najee Harris.

It's not the smart pick, but it is the one I'm hoping for.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Stevenson + McFarland would be a helluva 1-2 punch. I'd be fine if they drafted him and signed another FA. The inherent problem with the 3-down feature back is that all of your eggs are in one basket.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    This post has been scientifically proven to contain 100% true.

22. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Who is our Short yardage back?

I remember the Cleveland game where we absolutely could not put it in the End Zone, because we have nobody that can get those goal line yards, and Ben refuses to run QB sneaks anymore.

23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Funny, I just read another mock where Farley goes at 29 to Greenbay.

I know the Steelers have been in contact with Farley, but can the Steelers burn their 1st round pick on a guy that may not be ready for the 2021 season?

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If they really want a#1 RB then they should get one of the top 3 RBs in the draft, drafting these mid round RBs isn't working.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Well if they don’t get one, Le Bell is looking for work :)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021