1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben your Guy??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel machine, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Hell no, he'll keep us in the AFCN

17 vote(s)
    42.5%
  2. Hell yes, he is hurting our future

23 vote(s)
    57.5%
  3. We should get Tom Brady

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Because there is no better option on the roster, yes, I think Ben is the best chance the Steelers have right now. If they had already drafted a better backup or a replacement that could seriously lead the team, it might be a different story, but right now, Ben is the best option the team has.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That’s funny. Me and my friends play a drinking game where every time you or @Jammasterc mention the Eagles we have to take a drink. Needless to stay we drink a lot.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Mason played better week 17 then Ben week 18.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Im sure just about every QB in the NFL has 1 game they have played better than Ben. And that wasn't what was referenced and answered.

6. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I wanted both him and Tomlin gone. This franchise has become stuck in quick sand. We just refuse to make any meaningful changes.

We used to be ahead of the curve, particularly when it came to declining players. Now we're way behind the ball. We hang on too long then lose them to free agency or retirement.

7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Remind me of when the Steelers were ahead of the curve in the qb room. Ben seems like the only answer since Bradshaw went #1.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    1CC976EB-4689-4ABB-859B-0D7A19C58F74.png

Toast

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Play him until his arm falls off which might be game 3 this season, or play him to the wheels fall off which might have been 3 seasons ago...4 real though I do not think he is physically able to play the position the way it needs to be played..He hurts the run game , as a result the PA game suffers.He hurts the deep ball game as he throws all arm and the throws are way to flat...

I like Ben , but I don't expect this to end pretty for him ...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Apparently. I didn’t notice that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    If I follow your analogy... when Ben was in his permit he went 13-0.... Brady won the Super Bowl straight out of drivers ed. Mason got hit by a Duck.

But I don't think your analogy is correct. I think they did give him the keys to Daddys car.... you want them to give him Mason the Ferrari.. then see if he knows how to drive.

If...as you say he was not prepared... that's not much of a compliment to him as a professional who prepares to play. I give him more credit than that. I think Mason is a solid NFL QB... the league is full of them... I am not knocking him.... but I do not see him as the guy.

People think Haskins is garbage off 13 starts ... but Mason has not been given a chance off 9 starts?

As for Brady...Being benched in the 4th Q of a blow out game you played poorly in... and then starting the next week.. is not the same as losing your job ..... but to prove your point...Terry Bradshaw lost his job to Joe Gilliam in 74... for 6 weeks.

It really is as simple as
    Old man Ben > Mason Rudolph

That's not a knock on Mason.... its praise to a first ballot HOFer

Getting a QB is just simply not as easy as drafting one......I watched Terry Bradshaw play.... then I watched 20 years of not the Guy.... then I watched Ben play. I'm to old for another 20 year drought.

Kordell was better than given credit... and they made a Super Bowl with O'Donnell....

Can Mason be O'Donnell? Maybe... but I can tell you.. he can't be Ben

HACK

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Mason isn't either of them. It is exactly what I said. He wasn't ready. Ben was. Brady was. Does that mean he can't be a starter on Sundays? Nope. It means he wasn't ready.

No. I didn't say that. I said that he needed an offseason out from under Ben's shadow with the prospect of it being his job to lose. If it was "his" offense being prepared for, not Ben's, and all preparation was geared toward an offense not handicapped by the handicap, then we would actually see what Mason could, or could not, do.

I don't see him as the guy, either. But he wasn't given a legit opportunity to succeed. Our OL wasn't much better in 2019 than in 2020. And it was still Ben's offense. Round peg, square hole. He deserves a chance, but that's shot now.

Praise doesn't move the chains, Hack. Praise doesn't keep knees live. Praise for Ben is well deserved, but it doesn't belong on the field. Old man Ben > Mason Rudolph. I agree. But we're actually a better offense without Ben. Ben holds this offense back. We heard numerous times last season from the opposition that our offense was easy to prepare for. Ben was the reason. And Ben will be the reason our offense is predictable and one-dimensional again this year.

Yup. And we'd be better off if Mason/Haskins/Dobbs was under center because NONE of them can be Ben. That's a good thing. But we'll throw away a season so we can praise Ben and set us back even more than one year because we'll be looking for our starting qb NEXT season. And he isn't currently on this roster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think he’s closer to Landry Jones than he is to O’Donnell.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Man I hate 2 keep hearing this. Opponents said our Offense was (how did you say) easy 2 prepare for.
    So they just out of kindness gave us 35 passing TDS , 12 rushing Tds, and 12 wins ??
    Very kind of them. Hopefully they will be just as kind next year.
    Thank you opponents.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    One week does not make him a better option right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    No one gave us anything. It took the league 6 games or so to start figuring out what we were, or better yet, weren't, doing on offense. And you're not discounting the contribution of the defense in those wins, are you? Without the pressure from our defensive front, we don't win half our games last season.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Buy but, you’re not a stats guy :tomato:

I’m too lazy to look but what were his and the offensive overall numbers after week 11? Thats when it fell apart and when that talk of our offense was the easiest to prepare for started.

I think it has merit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Our D gave us 35 passing TDs ,and 12 rushing TDs?
    Is our D the only D that helps the rest of the team?, or do other Defense help their teams also?
    Sounds foolish when I put that way . Huh. Wonder why?

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Believe I put wins. Maybe I'm just dreaming. I guess 11 weeks don't count 4 anything anymore.
    Also nice you think it has merit.
    I think it doesn't.
    So agree 2 disagree.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I was just joking, man, that’s why I used the ducking tomato’s emoji guy :lolol:

You did use passing and rushing TD’s too, though :taunt:

I don’t know why it’s so hard to believe, I mean the OC was fired after all and they only won 1 more game after starting 11-0. The game plan sucked, a million short passes a game when you don’t run or throw deep isn’t too hard to defend.

• Like Like x 2
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I just went over my reply.
    Didn't mean 2 sound so snarky. Is that a word??
    I just don't buy it.
    What do you expect the opposition 2 say when we finally lost??
    Man we got lucky, they are the hardest team 2 prepare for, and I hope we don't have 2 face them again.
    For example using our own team.
    I remember a O- line player one saying how he loved 2 face Jason Taylor because it was soooooo easy. As he got beat by said Taylor many times throughout his play for us. Also we lost that game.
    Anyway each 2 their own opinions :thumbs_up:
    Also of course someone got fired. It wasn't going 2 be our HC as you can see by the extension.
    Someone had 2 be the scapegoat.
    Not saying I like the OC.
    Just saying

23. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    I interpreted his statement as what the opponents were saying during the disaster of the last 6 games.

24. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Well, to me he does and I'm sticking to this until Ben can demonstrate he can do everything a QB is supposed to do that he didn't during the meltdown.

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Not being argumentative because I’m leaning away from Ben.

But are you thinking Ben can make it through the entire season, make it through the playoffs, and not drop off like he did last year?

Me, I don’t see any of that as being probable. And if we have to change QBs mid season, and go through the disruption, aren’t we better to start the season with someone that might actually finish the season.