1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by biggbunch68, Apr 20, 2021.

1. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    I would honestly take all four of your examples over Rudolph and I don't know who wouldn't. i would be curious to know who would.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    All if the coaches you mention I would take in a heartbeat over Tomlin because they understand modern offense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  3. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    you mean because they are Offensive coaches??? Tomlin came up on the Defensive side of coaching so your point makes no sense here and what do you mean by modern coaching??? Are you talking about spread offenses? Isn't that on the OC in this case more so than Tomlin??? I don't believe Tomlin got hired because of the Xs and Os he drew up on the erase board. He might bare some blame for the previous OC hire though. ...neither of those coaches have even won a SB and 3 of them have never even been to a SB as a head coach. Your dislike for Tomlin has you making statements in haste.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  5. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Yes. But not relevant as this article is an opinion piece.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Easily take N.O., Kordell and Maddox, those are bad examples. Tomczak was the only one close to a comparison to Rudolph but the biggest difference, none were rookies and I don’t believe they had to dip into their 3rd string QB during any of those seasons.

Tomlin was 8-5 at one point with 2nd and 3rd string QBs that never took a NFL snap before that season. 2019 was probably Tomlins finest coaching job and pretty much turned the narrative he can’t win without Ben on it’s head.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    No argument there. I wanted to run Cowher outta town too.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    You're right there isn't. But that's the chance you take. Playing it safe isn't always the best option. No guts, no glory.

9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think its safe to say every one of us on this board has at least one thing that Tomlin does that drives them bonkers and despite the records and stats and everything as many have said we are just over his tenure as coach.

For me despite his mentor on the path of football approach and his being popular with his players it is just, I want to say arrogance but that isn't really what it is, it's the negligence that the team embraces. When you can enforce your will on another team no matter how good they are or how well they play, you can be confident to the point of arrogance in doing what you do. If you aren't enforcing that will then you are neglecting that the other guys are paid to win too. This ignoring of what's right in front of them is just maddening at times.

A couple of years ago the Chargers had two guys off the street playing bookends at the tackle position and they looked like all pros because Tomlin didn't care what other teams do. He didn't go after them. Dallas game last year a guy with zero pro experience had a damn good game partially because they didn't have tape on him but partially because Tomlin and the lab professor didn't go after him either.

They most egregious one to me was when Ben got hurt. There were guys in the game day thread who knew it was serious the moment it happened. The rest of us knew it a week later but at no point did Mike Tomlin attempt to change what they did on offense to better suit his QB's. Teams stacked the box and stuffed the run forcing MR and Duck to beat them in the air. He said things about not reinventing the wheel and so on. We all knew Ben was done for the year, why not build a modified playbook that fit those two better? Nope just do what they do.

Anyways my hope is that MC has a different approach to game planning otherwise I sense a great deal of frustration in our future.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Yes. This wasn't intentional in terms of making Tomlin look bad; I just started with his last ten years. Manning's ten years were on a different timeline. I'm fine sliding Ben/Tomlin's years up or down to match. Either way, your claim is wrong.

First, I don't have a point other than providing stats answering the call you originally placed. No unnecessary forcing needed. Second, you're changing the rules, again. Now you want the last 20 years, which doesn't entirely make sense; Tomlin has been here for 14. Last, you're wrong; the Colts technically did more.

11. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    He replaces them. This includes dropping a catchable pass. IMO MR would have given us a better chance to win our playoff game. He played better the week before with less talent at Cleveland. JMO

12. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Well said, Thorn.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I thought when Cleveland went up by three scores, Ben should have been pulled. Why not? Was Tomlin worried about the confidence of a 17 year vet that has pretty much experienced every situation? Or, is the narrative that the organization thinks they have their next QB with Rudolph total B.S.? I mean, what did he have to lose by putting Rudolph in?

14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

That's the reason the players love MT. He doesn't like to ruffle feathers. Ben was having a horrible game turnover wise but changing QB's was never in the cards. Mike is a players coach through and through and most of the team knows that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    1) Claim is wrong in what way? If we're talking about the ultimate prize which is SB appearances/ wins which is what has so many people up in arms about Tomlin on this board via unrealistic expectations then how was I wrong??

2)I have to make a confession. All the Tomlin bashing threads are starting to run together in my head as far as whom I'm responding to and on what post. I'm well aware of how long Tomlin has been here. The 20 was in reference to how long its been since Brady started his run and that in reality very few teams can boast much success during that time, but i thought i was resuming a conversation from another post with a similar argument. You just happened to be one of the people i had responded to in the other thread also.

I meant to show

Only two franchises have won twice since the Brady run started... Tampa Bay, and New York Giants and there's only been one coach that's won it twice and he was the only one to do it in that time with the same QB. There was more than 15 years between Tampa winning their second one. When you mentioned Peyton Manning I thought you would at least mention Manning with Denver not the Colts because in my mind I thought Peyton had won back to back in Denver, but i was mistaken about that. You never even brought up Coughlin and Eli who was the most obvious. That being said how can anybody on here really complain about the job that Tomlin has done, or legitimately assume the Steelers as a whole would be in any better of a position than they are currently if they were under another person's tutelage?? The numbers based upon how other teams have performed in the last 20 years prove different. No pun intended but it's super hard to go to a SB much less win one unless you're Tom Brady since free agency changed everything.

The question now becomes for Steeler fans since free agency has all but eliminated dynasties (with the exception of the anomaly the Patriots) do you now want to root for that organization where coaches are switched out every so many years (3-5?) or do you want to remain that unique franchise that allows someone to coach until they are ready to walk away?? It really hasnt seemed to make much difference...the success rate is essentially the same. I mentioned before in another Tomlin bashing post (or maybe it was this one) there's been one legitimate season imo where he may have missed a opportunity since the last SB appearance to make it back to the SB and that was 2 or 3 seasons ago when they lost to the Jaguars.

Has the time come for Tomlin to move on??? maybe that will be more clearly defined in the next three seasons since like i said in previous posts (once again it may have been this thread or another) the field is wide open with Brady out of the picture on this side of the aisle. I have to admit if Steelers hadn't renewed Tomlins contract i wouldn't have been surprised, but i would argue that Ben is more overdue than Tomlin. Hopefully Ben shows much like Peyton and Brady at the close of their careers he is still able to put together a season to win the big one. i thought last year was about to be that year, but much like a lot of biased opinions are on this board no one is gonna bring up how key injuries on the defensive side of the ball effectively derailed the season last year as key injuries on both sides of the ball have derailed other seasons in the past. Who knows what could have been.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ditto the December 21 game vs the Bengals. Ben should have been yanked after the first quarter, definitely at half time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Agreed. O'Donnell, Kordell and Maddox were easily the best QBs we had between the mid-80s and Ben. Tomczak was a veteran with a lot of game time in hand.

As it is, I've never understood the "Without Ben Tomlin is nothing" argument.

Not that having a franchise QB hasn't helped but ffs, this is the Pittsburgh Steelers. What about the defense? Does that have no bearing on a game??

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly. They owe Bens second SB to the defense. Not taking anything away from Bens heroics on the game winning drive but it wouldn’t have mattered if not for JH’s game changing play and 7 point swing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Same here. I was done with Cowher after the 2003 season.

20. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    :beathorse:

Another Tomlin thread?

Tomlin is here to stay for better or worse. Might as well complain about something else.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I`m in the middle I suppose. I see no change possible unless Tomlin wants to retire. It`s like if you are born ugly there is not much you can do about it and you just have to try to live with it.

• Like Like x 1
  22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The need to return to block numbers and the shrinking of shoulder pads!

• Like Like x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They couldn’t get those passed but now more players can use single digit numbers!

• Like Like x 1
  24. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I thought they may give Coach T a chance to coach without Coach Ben..Ben has probably had as much control of the Offense as Mike so a season or 2 to see what Mike can do without him is fair IMO..

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Why, because they're results were better? Rudolph was a better draft prospect than all save for maybe Maddox, who was a reclamation project when the Steelers signed him.

• Agree Agree x 1