1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Now a lot of Mocks have Fields the QB at 24

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by PWP, Apr 19, 2021.

1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It seems a lot of the new mocks are predicting Fields to us at #24 and only 1 RB in the 1st. round with that being Harris after we pick. How would you guys feel about the Fields pick? And would it make sense if we went that route to move back up in round #2 and draft Etienne ?

I am not sure how I feel about the Fields pick yet , but if Etienne makes it out of the 1st. I would be all for a move to get him. Heck I would not be apposed to skipping the Fields pick and trading back for Etienne if him and Harris and Fields where all on the board at 24..

2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    If Fields or Lance are available at 24, you take them, pretty much end of discussion. Jury is still out on Mac, although some people have him at 3. Rudolph was also a "potential first rounder" who ended up in the third.
    I understand the "He won't help us win this year" attitude, but we had a playoff-caliber qb when we drafted Ben (remember, Cowher wanted to draft a tackle at that spot). The Packers, the Chiefs, and others draft for the long term, not the next year. That's how they got Rogers and Mahommes when they already had QBs.
    IMHO, the only team that should be "all-in" for next year is Tampa Bay.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I mean, if you want a taller Russell Wilson with a stronger arm, you draft him.

If you don't, you take a running back or lineman.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  4. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    I'm trying to figure out if you mean this as a bad thing.......

5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    He said he was a taller Russell Wilson with a stronger arm. I take that as a, he likes him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I would pass on any QB not named Trevor Lawrence. I think this is a very overrated QB class.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    If any of the top rated Quarterbacks falls to the Steelers and they believe he is a future franchise QB I think you have to take them. He won’t help you this year but realistically they are not contending anyway IMO.

The opportunity would be too good to pass up, but it all depends on who falls and how the rate them as a prospect.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    If somehow, someway, Justin Fields falls that far, I would take him without a second thought. As much as I do not believe he is as cracked up like others make him out to be, Justin Fields is still a ridiculously gifted player; immeasurable potential at that. Having a former College Offensive Coordinator in Matt Canada, who likes mobile QBs, should assist someone like Fields in a big way. However, Justin Fields getting that far is a massive if.

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

My thoughts exactly.

That said, Justin Fields will not be thrown into the fire at the start. He will have the time he needs to learn as he waits. When 2022 hits, that is when Fields will get thrown in.

Again.... should he even fall that far.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    All the top guys have tremendous gifts that lean in their favor for succeeding at the pro level. They all come with faults, too but faults that can be worked with.

You absolutely take Fields at 24 if he’s there and he’s not even my most liked QB in this class.

I’m not in favor of moving up for any RB in this class. I’m the opposite of Turndownforwatt, I think the RB class is being over hyped. WIlliams is as good as Harris and Etienne, see if he’s still there at our 2nd pick, which I think he likely will be.

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Please no.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Justin Fields at 24 is the only QB I would draft. Obviously Lawrence, and Wilson..... but they both will be long gone.

However I do not think the RBs are overrated....I think there is the top 2... then about 7 to 10 guys in that next group.

HACK

13. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Like you I doubt he falls that far, but that big 'if' is where I totally agree. San Fran has the potential to be the biggest loser, giving up that much you have to hit. That type of move, giving up 2 future 1st and a 3rd, can really set the franchise back years. The guy they pick needs to excel and likely will have to sit a year. If you pick a guy with that much talent at 24 and he busts it is painful, but you still have options to reload and move on. Would not move up, but no 2nd thought an calling his name there.

14. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Except that you move up at all costs if you truly believe in someone. the Niners are not the Jets or WFT. They have never been the type of team to bet the farm as a gamble hoping that picking high will get them a player. I think they know exactly who they want and this is a extremely Calculated move on their part. Still no guarantee though.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I don't understand the Trey Lance Hype; his numbers in last years game were not what you would expect from and NFL prospect taking on a Division II school.

This was his only game and he only completed 50% of his passes, 149 yds Passing with 1 Int and 2 Tds, while getting sacked 3 times.

FYI, He did play the entire game.

upload_2021-4-21_12-6-17.png
    And Central Arkansas was not a good team in 2020; finishing 5-4 least year.

I am now seeing a lot of mock drafts where this guy is dropping like a rock, and he should. Nobody wants to talk about his one game last year, but he was definitely not NFL material last year. I hope the Steelers can avoid this guy completely and let some other team in front of them make this mistake.

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Could be why some have him dropping.

Edit: Hawaii scooped me by 1 minute :lolol:

• Like Like x 2
  18. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Wow. Didn't know that

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think teams are worried about that one game from 2020, he proved himself in 2019.

20. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    It's happpppppennnnnnnnnnnnnnning.

21. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    Too many n's. 7 would have been fine. 13 is overkill.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    If Mac Jones falls out of the Top 10 it may be worth a phone call to see how much it would cost to move up.

If Fields goes at #3 and Trey Lance at #9, Mac Jones will slide out of the Top 10.

I see Denver taking either Fields or Lance.

• Disagree Disagree x 1