1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Using Clear Optics: How To Guess the Steelers 2021 1st Round Pick

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by AskQuestionsLater, Apr 9, 2021.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Wow this post must have taken all day.

The mods should have put it sandwiched in an already existing thread. :) I kid.

I'm not sure if the formula is valid or not.

Here's why..

Maurkice Pouncey - Florida Gators
    TJ Watt - Wisconsin
    Bud Dupree- Kentucky
    David Decastro - Stanford
    Artie Burns - Miami
    Terrell Edmunds- Virginia Tech

I haven't done the research you have, but if I recall correctly Tomlin and Co didn't have a significant presence for at least some of these 1st round picks. I can't recall a player drafted from LSU << someone's probably going to point someone out that should be obvious.

Who how my gut feeling is that the Steelers will not be picking up a RB with the 1st round pick but either a tackle or surprise us with a pass rusher/lb. Leatherwood is a probable name imo. I like the dude from notre Dame also but I think he'll be gone.

I really have a feeling the Steelera are going RB with either round 2 or 3 and that there are smoke and mirrors being set up.

We'll see. This is the fun part of the draft we get to see after the fact how wrong we all were and if we get lucky we're geniuses for at least a day

• Like Like x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This is a great series of posts. I just want to point out I was a lot younger when I started reading from the top.

:smiley1:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Incorrect regarding the presence aspect of the players. Every player the Steelers have drafted in Round One have had both Kevin and Mike on hand since 2010. Avoiding another Ziggy Hood was paramount so for them, having them both set foot onto the same campus with double the sets of eyes could not just give a more clear picture of a player but also a more clarified aspect of said player.

Regarding a player being drafted out of LSU, that was Jerald Hawkins and both Tomlin and Colbert were there that day; Tomlin having a Pro Day dinner the same I believe. Beyond Hawkins, no other player from LSU has been selected in the Tomlin/Colbert Era since.

4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    ... So... I think I might have to buy some more Storage as my final Top 32 and Top 5 are no where to be seen....

*** sigh ***

Well, back to the drawing board I guess. Should have both this weekend though!! Had a backup to the backup that I lost so all is not lost.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Given the fact that Justin Fields has been recently mocked to us by Charlie Casserly (which sadly is not saying too much), it does beg the question. Could Fields really fall that much?! I say highly unlikely but, given the COVID Era, you never know.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t think he falls that far but you can bank on the Steelers scooping him up if he does.

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I truly do not either. I am just wondering though if he really does. Realistically speaking, I cannot for see a scenario of him escaping the Top 10.... and that is being very nice.

8. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Most of the mocks I've seen the past week have a veritable QB frenzy going on at the top of the first. Mac Jones has even been slotted inside the first ten picks.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If I was looking 4 a Qb , and was in the top 10 rounds , M. Jones would be my 2nd Qb I would take . IMO. After watching all the top 5 QBs games.
    I really don't understand how people over look how does a Qb read , and react 2 the D. Is his thought process Quick, does he know what he's seeing. Does he look at more than His 1st , or 2nd read.
    No , a lot of people are more concerned with can a QB throw a mile(doesn't matter who 2). How fast is he.
    I will repeat this .
    It would be like judging the Rb you're looking for, by how well he throws.

10. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I'm not entirely knocking him, but I think top ten is too high for Jones; honestly, I wouldn't want the Steelers looking at him in the first. He does possess good pocket presence, progression, and accuracy - all great traits to have going in. But he also lacks the elite arm strength looked for at the next level - and by this scouts are looking more for the ability to zip passes into tighter NFL windows and keep safeties honest. In a way, it's like having a strong-armed QB who lacks the poise and accuracy Jones has - scouts are looking for a more complete picture (or the makings thereof) if they're going to recommend investing that high a pick on one.

Jones was, of course, also surrounded by a bevy of blue-chip talent at Alabama, so he wan't necessarily asked to do much. He had an o-line that will likely include high-round picks in the draft, a dynamic running game, and WRs that could create separation over their defenders. It doesn't necessarily mean he can't do it with a lack of some, or all, of those pieces, but it again gives you pause when considering him for the next level.

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He also played against a bevy of Highly talented Defensive players , that I'm sure we will see go off the draft board in the 1st three rounds.
    He also played against top talent in the Championship Playoffs.
    Furthermore, I wouldn't say Ohio st, or Clemson has any less talent on their Teams.
    Every Alabama Qb plays around Awesome talent, but not every Alabama, Ohio st, and Clemson Qb should go in the 1st round. As a matter of fact this is the 1st Alabama Qb I thought should.

12. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I get it. And that's fine - you may be right and he turns out a significant contributor in the NFL. He's just not up there right now for me.

• Like Like x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Cool. Hey I could be totally wrong.
    I mean hell, if Guys whose livelihoods depend on it get it wrong all the time . Well... I'm sure I could be wrong about it , some of the times:smiley1:

14. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I still think they need to go LT in first rd.
    Everyone on here seems to think Banner is going to be rock solid, based on what his size we haven't seen enough of him to judge.
    Dotson is the future and he looked very good.
    Center is middle of the road I like Finney a tiny bit more based only on he plays with some grit.
    DD needs to be better this year than he was last year I hope it was nagging injuries and not age catching up to him.
    Okorafor is alright in pass protection but not impressive in the run game.

So I see it as LT unknown ability
    LG strong 2nd yr road grader
    C average 2nd string quality for either one
    RG aging vet or returning pro bowler
    RT average but somehow he graded out better

That line still looks like a work in progress.

• Like Like x 1