1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers and their drafting woes at CB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Good read and think probably the truth is a combination of bad picks and coaching.

There seems to be improvement there with the latest coaches brought in. Sutton is improving, Edmunds had a nice season, maybe they’d re turning things around there. Will be interesting to see what happens with any they draft this year.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Steelers usual spot for drafting a CB has been the 3rd round, and anytime they have drafted one higher in the past few years have seemed to been huge busts.

Back in the Lebeau days they didn't really value CB's super high, they valued their tackling ability just as high, if not higher, than any other skill.

I guess Steelers got to be willing, first off, to spend a high pick on a CB, but will they?

I'm sort of with this philosophy though. I'd rather our entire front 7, to the man, be the most dangerous part of this defense.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  3. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Our front 7 is, in fact, FAR more dangerous than our secondary. If that's what your philosophy is pointing to, wish granted.

The issues, IMHO, with our CB's have not been due to their ability. Our issues/problems in the secondary come from coaching or lack thereof.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I would surmise he's referring to how a good run defense and pass rush helps the secondary out immensely.

So I'd be in this club also. If the QBs don't have the time and forced into long yardage 3rd downs the CBs don't have to be top talent. We saw this a lot with Lebeau. A rangy top-tier safety is good though to take advantages of mistakes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It's ok. Will get one this year.:cool:

6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    They may have a gem in the undrafted James Pierre who I believe will start. Beat out 3rd rounder and bust Layne. They will give Layne another go around but if he doesn't show much improvement at camp he should be cut.

Sutton will start probably in the slot with Pierre on the outside opposite Haden. They will draft one in the later rounds and after the draft and pick up a cheap FA after cuts.

7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    When the pass rush can't get there you need more then just average playing corner. And the draft history shows how weak of a position this was hence getting outside help, Haden, Nelson, Hilton.

Finally I believe the homegrown arrow is turning up with Sutton and Pierre.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Mentioned this in another thread. The issue that plagued the Steelers during 2015-2018 was the lack of a succession plan for not just the retirement of Troy but also how the Corners should be able to cover not just in terms of schematics but also skills. Tomlin initially wanted to try out LeBeau's way from 2015 to 2016 but after the results of the 2016 AFC Championship Game, Tomlin realized the Corner Philosophy LeSean had used was no longer functional; a reboot for the entire secondary being the result soon thereafter.

Terrell Edmunds was supposed to emulate some of what Troy did for Tomlin..... at least that is what the initial plan was supposed to be. After the week 2 loss against Seattle in 2019 though, Tomlin realized that his own "Troy Polamalu" could not be the one LeBeau had coached but a special type of player that could have the entire secondary revolve around that players abilities, traits and capabilities. September 16, 2019 will be the day in which Mike Tomlin found his own "Troy Polamalu" in Minkah Fitzpatrick.

Why is Minkah being mentioned regarding coaching?! Coaching is no doubt important but even the coaches are going to need some assistance in teaching their players the most critical of fundamentals. Special talents like Minkah are important as they can teach their follow team mates through indirect means and, in some cases, a way that the coaches themselves might not bee able to.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Pierre would be a a huge success story, undrafted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Did you forget about Layne? Or are we just not going to talk about him?

If the Steelers want to use a 1st round pick on another DB, then I hope they trade their pick for a player.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I was mentioning guys who have shown improvement, maybe this year for Layne.

Right now, he’s falling under the unsuccessful portion of drafting CB’s.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am hoping Grady Brown will be bringing something new to the table this year to help improve or DBs

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Did I say I hope we draft a CB in the 1st? LoL.
    Come on Asante Samuel Jr. please fall 2 us. The more game tape I watch on him the better I like him. There is only one other I would take before him, but guarantee he won't fall 2 us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I wouldn't be happy, drafting a 5'10 180 lb slot CB in the first round :eek:.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah he's a slot 2 you.
    Never any good 5 '10 CBs
    ever. Your probably the same guy who on the old boards when we took Troy P. Said ....I can't believe we drafted that long haired midget. Of course you wouldn't admit it...if you did.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They can find a 5'10 slot CB later in the draft :shrug:. Clueless take, I'm a USC fan and I watched Troy play in college :hehehe:.

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I still don't know from watching his game tape that makes him a , just slot CB. ????

18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Well... with Justin Layne now in trouble, should Caleb Farley fall that far.... do you take him?! Quite the question indeed as the draft nears. Not something the Steelers needed on their plate though for certain.

19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Well the concept of great front 7 vs great corners. Obviously it'd be nice to have a top corner, but if the pass rush can't get there they're going to get open anyway.

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Correct, but with great coverage it gives even more time for the pass rush 2 get there. Just a second more time means a very lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You know how I feel.

22. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    They will draft a corner somewhere just not in the 1st. Sutton was a 3rd rounder and Pierre was undrafted. Bust Layne was a 3rd rounder also.

I can see them drafting one in the 3rd now.

23. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I mean, no coach could be asked to succeed without nine first round picks on the defense.

24. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think it all starts with the scheme.. The 3-4 requires the LB'S to be better than average in coverage and it also requires DB'S to be better than average in run support ..This doesn't allow you to have great run stuffing LB'S or have great pass coverage DB'S...

This forces the Team to draft guys like Edmunds a Safety who is really more suited to play LB ...IMO the fix is the 4-2-5

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think they were likely to draft one anyway and now they will just pick up another UDFA to replace Layne.

I don’t think they are sitting around going, “omg, we just lost Layne, rework our whole board, draft is in 5 days!”

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1