1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should the Steelers trade a third round pick for Sam Darnold?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Leonard and Chubbs were both projected to go ahead of Edmunds, which is more relevant to the choice made by the Steelers. It makes no sense to say that Chubbs wasn't an option. He was an option discussed quite a bit on this board at the time. If he wasn't an option, Edmunds sure as hell shouldn't have been.

The comparison of Dupree to Edmunds doesn't hold up, either. Dupree was projected as a first-round pick, not a late second or early third like Edmunds. Nobody blinked an eye at Dupree being taken that high. Plenty commented that Edmunds was a massive reach at the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s not misleading, it’s misleading to imply his play fell off a cliff after those 6 games and that 3 good plays is the reason people feel he played well last year.

Acknowledging he had a good season doesn’t mean he is living up to his draft status.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree with both of you. I know that makes no sense, but both are making good points.
    Though I Also don't think T. Edmunds is very good, but hope he is better than what I think, and gets even better.
    I think some people think when I don't think a player is good, I want 2 see them fail. That's the farthest from the truth.
    I want all Steelers players 2 thrive. No matter what I thought about them before the draft, after the draft , or their previous years.
    I'm a Steelers fan Damn it. Not a players fan. Though I can be . If they've done good for, and by the Steelers.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No realistic fan thought Chubbs was an option and given that no other team took him in the first tells you all you need to know what the real grade was on him. Message board chatter doesn’t change that. They have a much bigger need for a RB this year and probably won’t take one in the first, they sure as hell weren’t going to draft one in 2018 rd 1. Edmunds was a position they needed so yes, he would be ahead of Chubbs. BPA at position of need.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not implying anything of the sort. I'm just saying those numbers are incomplete.

I have acknowledged that he had a decent season, but one that is being vastly overrated by some people on this board. He made three big plays, did a solid job tackling, and he is still a liability when the ball is in the air. The argument that he is among the best safeties in the league, which has been floated on this board, is ridiculous.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Chubb only went seven picks after Edmunds. There were rankings that had him in the first round. Every ranking had him ahead of Edmunds. The same is true of Leonard, who went right after Chubb. They were both realistic options for the Steelers in the first round. The Steelers made a bad choice. I'm not sure why it is so difficult for people to admit as much.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t know why you are applying other peoples arguments to me, that’s not my position. I simply stated that he had a better season than he is getting credit for, it was a good year. Not fantastic, not outstanding, it was good.

If you go back and read the first post you responded to of mine, I say that if this is the best he gets, he wasn’t worth a first rd pick, so I have no problem saying it was a bad pick but like Bud, he can still turn things around, the book isn’t written yet, he’s still playing under his first contract.

And sorry, no, Chubbs and Leonard did not have first rd grades and when I say Chubbs wasn’t an option, it’s because the Steelers weren’t in the market for a RB, you know this. So that leaves Leonard, which really wasn’t a position of need either with Shazier and Williams on the team but not only that, Leonard took everyone by surprise, no one was expecting the year he had in the pros, he was not a highly sought after draft pick, his game was nothing to get excited over in college. There was no reason the Steelers would be targeting him in rd one. If the Steelers were going to go ILB in Rd 1, it would have been Rashaan Evans. I personally think they wanted LVE and had to settle for Edmunds.

Goes back to BPA at a position of need and that would be Edmunds, and at pick 28 is it really reaching when you take a player with a 2nd rd grade at pick 28? Unfortunately, he hasn’t lived up to their expectations yet.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :tequila:

:tequila::tequila:

:tequila::tequila::tequila:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I know you didn't write that about Edmunds, but it is part of the overall discussion. People are trying to prop him up as being better than he is to justify a bad pick.

Chubbs was listed as a potential first-rounder by some, but not all. I even saw mock drafts at the time that had the Steelers taking him in the first. Every ranking out there had him ahead of Edmunds. Most, if not all, had Leonard ahead of Edmunds.

The Steelers made the mistake of taking Edmunds over both Chubb and Leonard in 2018, the draft after Shazier's injury. Inside linebacker was every bit the need going into that draft as safety and Leonard was the more highly-regarded prospect. The Steelers passed on an All-Pro linebacker for a mediocre safety.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Chubbs wasn’t an option, they just franchised Bell. Some dummies mock that doesn’t even bother looking at team needs doesn’t change that.

Correct about Shazier, was thinking he got hurt in 2018. Doesn’t change the fact that Leonard wasn’t a highly sought after player, there was no hype around him and he didn’t have the player profile of a Shaizer which is what they would have been looking for. Was it a mistake, clearly but the point I’ve been trying to make is that there wasn’t a whole lot there for them to choose from. We can go back through every draft using hindsight.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Leonard was more highly sought after than Edmunds. That isn't hindsight. That is information that was available at the time.

Were the Steelers foolish to draft Highsmith last season after they had just put the franchise tag on Bud Dupree?

• Like Like x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :tequila: :popcorn:

I decided to join you. I brought popcorn.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He wasn’t though other than a ranking which isn’t how you draft or you’d end up the worst team in the league. Lot more goes into making a board than Leonard being 60th and Edmunds 70th (made those numbers up, don’t know what they were.)

Steelers knew they were losing Bud, that’s why they drafted Highsmith, plus it was a 3rd round pick, not first. They made a strong Push to re-sign Bell, not the same at all.

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Very much appreciated!! :drinks:

Consuming spirits or beer is always nice but it is best done with others you can socialize with! :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    So you can use a third-round pick on a position where you just franchised the player, but not a first? Okay. That is reasonable.

The primary things that have to go into the board would be the quality of the players and the team's needs. Leonard was and is a better player. His position, like that of Edmunds, was a huge need. Terrible play at inside linebacker after the loss of Shazier was one of the things that ruined the Steelers in 2017, and Shazier wasn't coming back.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    What are you talking about man, I’m not going down this rabbit whole with you. You want to try and say Bud and Bell was the same situation and that rounds don’t make a difference, go right ahead, it’s nonsense though.

Leonard is a totally different player than Shazier, they wouldn’t be drafting him to replace Shaizer but to replace Williams. There’s a reason he was passed on by every team in the first rd. He wasn’t this great sought after prospect, Steelers went with a player of greater need with around the same ranking. Didn’t work out. Maybe this year he breaks out but I think he’s likely to only ever be a ok to good player.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Nobody was going to match Shazier's athleticism, but Leonard absolutely could have done what they are asking of Bush now. He was passed on because teams like the Steelers made mistakes. Safety was not a greater need than inside linebacker and Edmund was a player with an inferior ranking.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Speaking of the 2018 draft; If Shazier was not behind the curtain would the Steelers of traded back in the draft?

Robbing all of Steeler nation of that great moment when Shazier walked on stage.

Although I do not know if the Steelers ever traded the 1st round away to go backwards in the Draft? Hoping the Steelers may have that option this year if both RBs are still available at #24, moving back in the 1st and up in the second to land a RB/C combo with their 1st and 2nd round picks. (Harris/Humphrey Combo)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  19. OmegaTiger

OmegaTiger Member

Dec 22, 2020
    No on Darnold, there is much better talent out there for the money... Darnold is not a true contender more a pretender...

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Bump. Going into last night, Darnold was PFF's highest graded QB from the 2018 draft, and he didn't appear to do anything to hurt that. He was making all the throws over the middle that Ben is currently afraid to make.

Small sample size, but it appears the Sam Darnold reclamation project is off to a good start, while the Steelers ride a broken down old pony out to pasture.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Darnold was firing some bullets last night. Kinda of surprised me with his arm strength. A lot of passes were in the 10 to 20 yard range into the middle of the field. Something I havent seen from Ben or Mason do lately.

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Arm strength has never been the problem with Darnold. That said, let's see him do this against a good opponent.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think the change of market and not having to be "the one" has done wonders for him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Panthers are 3-0 with a stifling defense and Darnold with a 99 QB rating.

Panthers are what the Steelers WANTED to be, but cant. lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    I swear we just saw this happen with Ryan Tannehill.