1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should the Steelers trade a third round pick for Sam Darnold?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Mar 29, 2021.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    :facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    If you are playing the "what if" game, instead of Chubb, more likely was Rashaad Penny (27th pick) or Sony Michel (31st pick).
    In which case, the team would have been worse off than if they picked Edmunds.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You’ve never been a fan of the pick so the grudge thing really doesn’t apply to you but I do think you are being overly critical. When you say ball skills suck, are you referring to the lack of interceptions? Because his play is actually above average in the following:

As for the actual stat sheet, Edmunds remains prominent in that as well. Edmunds ranks fourth on the team in tackles (25) and second on the team in passes defended (5) through six games. His 79.8 passer rating when thrown to this season ranks eighth in the NFL (minimum 15 targets), according to Pro Football Reference. Edmunds' 56.5% completion percentage allowed ranks second on the team for defensive backs as well.

He’s also a bit of an Ironman.

Edmunds has yet to miss a game playing into his third full season with the Steelers. While availability is the most important ability, his 93.7% of snaps played (one of four players to play more than 90% of snaps thus far) proves he's been active and useful as well.

He took a big step forward last season, if he takes another such step this season, he’s going to be a very good player.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I'd like to believe you on that but I don't think he'll ever be very good. Point is he was not worth a first round pick. He would have been there in round 2 and maybe even to round 3. This was a reach with the first pick. He's average at best as a safety. I just think we did not get good value with this pick as a first rounder. Serviceable is not what you look for in a first round pick. I'm still to this day unsure why they picked him in the first round. I hope he does take a step forward this year. But i don't see the Steelers signing him again. Just my opinion

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Carolina is a good landing spot for him, they have some weapons and a good coach. The trade seems reasonable, albeit I’m surprised they got a second for him.

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  8. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    NY to Carolina, I’d be happy just because of the weather.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Most sources were saying it would take a third round pick to get him. In light of what Carolina gave up, the Steelers were wise to pass on him. They have so many other needs.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DBoyZ Mike

DBoyZ Mike Member

May 9, 2020

Steelers needed to do something
    I am a BEN Fan. But this was the year to get a Talented Future QB in here to Back up Ben...
    It really dont matter now but for Darnold :They should of tried to Offer James Washington(WR) and then a 5 or 6th round Next year!
    Even at this point-
    I wish they took a flyer on Mitch Tribiski
    & EVEN still can get Josh Rosen from SF Practice Squad....
    Maybe they are gonna go get:facepalm: Kyle Trask or Davis Mills? :steelflag:

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Three picks for Darnold eh?! I personally have three words in regards to that trade regarding the Steelers. They are as follows;

NOT.

WORTH.

IT.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Rosen should once again see his team use a 1st round pick to take a QB. Assuming he will be shown the door after the draft. Free Agent again.

We have our project type 1st round pick on the team already, why would you want another one?

With Mason as your solid #2 QB who knows the playbook and can enter the game and not miss a beat; why try to replace Haskins before even seeing him in camp?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    At one point I had considered it would be worth it for a low package deal but definitely not what the Panthers gave up.

You are basically just hoping he improves once he is away from the Jets. It’s certainly not based on his play. And he’s bad under pressure, too, terrible trait to have as a NFL QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Too rich for my blood. That said, Carolina can make this move due to the fact that they likely will not be taking a QB in 2021 anyway. If anything, have Teddy and Darnold duke it out for the starting gig.

• Like Like x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

That all said, the Panthers did gain another advantage in the NFL Draft: leverage. God know how many teams will end up calling the Panthers now to move to number nine; doubly so if said teams have their QB. Quite a bit of players will be available at that spot; Kyle Pitts being the Wild Card here.

Kyle Pitts is essentially the evolution of Calvin Johnson; "Galvatron" being the most fitting of nick names for him.

16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Sorry, but no. Chubb was the best available back. That other teams made mistakes doesn't mean the Steelers had to make those mistakes.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm talking about his inability to make plays when he is in position, not just the lack of interceptions. He is beaten far too often. If a quarterback is in trouble and they want to take a calculated risk, throwing a pass in his direction, even if he's in good position, is a good bet. Also, why are you quoting a paragraph from only six games into this past season? That makes little sense.

He's durable. That's great. That gets him to average.

They passed on better players at positions of need to take a guy they most likely could have gotten in the second round and it has cost them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm guessing Darnold is their guy if they are giving up that much. They need to see what they have this season.

It would have made no sense for the Steelers once they kept Roethlisberger to pay that kind of price, sit the guy for a year, and commit to a sizeable fifth-year option for 2022.

Edit: My guess was correct. I just read that the Panthers are trying to trade Bridgewater, or at least get him to take a pay cut. Darnold is their guy.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  19. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Haskins for free > Darnold for 2-4-6

HACK

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Not only this but also something more; Carolina has to pick up Darnold's fifth year option. Pittsburgh does not have to do anything with Haskins as he is no longer on his Rookie Entry Contract. Pittsburgh played it right and won in my opinion. That said, so did Carolina as Matt Rhule will likely assist Darnold in a big way compared to Teddy.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There are many good arguments to be made on this topic. I'm not sure that is one of them. Darnold has shown more as a pro than Haskins and he hasn't shown himself to be that sort of knucklehead.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Rosen doesn't even qualify as a project at this point. He's a camp arm at best.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    1. He missed games for a high school disease.
    2. He sees Ghost
    3. He was a turnovers machine in college and pros.
    Also we didn't have 2 give up S!!t 2 get Haskins.
    One was 3- 10
    The other 13- 25
    I say neither has shown anything.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yet how many people said how great he was coming out.
    That's why I laugh when people say ....Ben should have retired so we could have just drafted his replacement. LoL.
    Sam Darnold, Haskins, Rosen, M. Trubisky and a lot others say hello.
    Also more than likely after this year we can add more 2 that list.

25. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Everything aside, I hope he does well. Seems like nice kid. I'm not sure what the future holds for him but, just getting out of NFL hell that is the NY Jets organization is a big step in the right direction.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1