1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Nelson given permission to seek trade

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Maybe he isn't ready to put up pro-bowl numbers this season, but trying to say definitively that he can't get double-digit sacks opposite TJ is silly. Nothing you've offered says that he is a significant drop-off from Bud. Many of us expected Bud to improve his second year, third year, fourth year. If Highsmith finds his legs and actually makes a jump in year two, he'll make us forget about Bud. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if Highsmith's numbers next season are better than Bud's in Tennessee. Consensus is that the Titans overpaid for him and that he was a product of scheme more than raw ability. If that's the case, Highsmith should be every bit as dominant as Bud was, barring injury.

2. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    It took Dupree 5 years to show he was a quality pass rusher. All Highsmith has to do is build on last season and he's better than what we had. No one knows just how impactful he can be until given a chance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Exactly. That's why it's silly to be all outraged by who is or isn't on the roster at this point of the offseason. Wait till the picture is complete before going off the deep end.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    :facepalm:

So the Steelers were SB contenders before releasing him? Give me a break.

The Steelers were a weaker team before Nelson walked and aren't any better or worse after he's gone. We already reached our floor. Nelson didn't stir the defense's drink. Not even close.

5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    To be fair it didn't take Dupree 5 years. We saw glimpses of what he was capable of in his second and third years. He came on really well in year 4 and continued it in year 5 till he was injured. I like Highsmith and believe he will do very well, but he isn't on Buds level at this point. And he shouldn't be expected to be.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Come on now. He's right. We are worse off without Nelson at this point. That may change with the draft or a free agent pick up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He wrote a parting article to Steelers Nation and Pittsburgh in the Players Tribune.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Glimpses don't get you franchised. Not getting more than 6 sacks for four straight years most definitely indicates that it took him until his 5th year to produce what was expected of him. And if you think 5.5 sacks is "coming on really well," then we're just going to have to disagree on what a productive edge rusher is in our system. And we'll see what Bud's "level" is this season. I don't think Highsmith should be expected to put up double-digit sacks this season, but I believe he can. I've said it before, I think Highsmith makes us forget Bud in two seasons max. I also think that Highsmith has better numbers this season than Bud. Just a gut feeling considering the systems they are playing in, their supporting casts, and raw ability.

9. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Don't agree. How are we worse off? We're down a CB. He will be replaced. Our secondary was the weak spot on our defense to begin with. It didn't get worse. It just changed.

If Nelson was so great, why didn't we get something for him? Just because he is supposedly our second best CB, it isn't an indication of how good he is. He was just our second best. And second best behind an aging Joe Haden isn't saying a lot.

Is he not replaceable? Frankly, I think there's a better replacement waiting in the draft. We're not going to be that competitive this season anyway, with our without him. So let him go, find a replacement, and move on. We're not a weaker team without him.

But don't mind me. I'm just grumpy.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wow, very cool tribute :applaud:

Sorry Bud, You weren’t being a dick, I was :hi:

I wouldn’t have been surprised if he didn’t have anything to say to the fans after so much abuse, even know a lot of us had his back, nice to see how much that meant to him but I felt he definitely should have said thanks to the organization. Did that an more :steelflag:

11. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Nelson wasn't good last year, actually he was bad...When Haden went down , Nelson got exposed...He was elevated to the Top Dog, And he wasn't up to the task...

And,If I remember correctly...He did alot of chirping on his way out of KC also!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Great read. Now that's the way to leave town. Props to Bud for a great attitude. I wish him the best unless he's playing us. No hard feelings.

13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m not sure what you’re going on and on about, but it’s pretty much a fact that were worse off team today than we were a couple days ago like @Formerscribe said. Sure if we signed somebody or draft somebody then yes maybe we will be better off until that happens we’re not.

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It’s still won’t be good enough for some.

15. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, that is when Ben said if Mason asks a question he may just point to the playbook. I think Ben was just pushing to get rid of Todd Haley.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    It's a fact? How's that? And I apologize for not knowing that @Formerscribe is the last word on all things Steelers.

But since you're throwing facts around like candy, here's one. We aren't any better or worse until the season starts. We are nothing right now. Our roster isn't set. So no, it's not a fact that we're worse now without Nelson.

And since you are of the ilk to use others to prop up your opinions, I'll do something out of character and namedrop myself. I see your @Formerscribe and raise you a @Disco1981 who pointed out that Nelson isn't all that and a bag of chips, as you seem to believe.

You see, I know EXACTLY what you're going on and on about. I don't need to pretend that I don't know what you're blathering about just to make it less of an opinion. You're entitled to yours, as I am mine. Yours happens to be wrong, but double down on it if you like. Spout off your opinions as unsubstantiated facts. That's fine.

I told you to not mind me because I'm grumpy. But while you were busy not reading what I posted, you must have missed that.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I got raised Baby!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

What a nice lil read, I'm not sure he wrote all of that though :hmm:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Teams do it all the time. It gives players the opportunity to keep their salary as opposed to being cut and making little of any.

He was good, he wasn’t 8 million good. It was the right move from a business standpoint.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I agree as a rookie he's not close to what Bud became pre injury but in all fairness, Bud during his first 4 seasons wasn't even living in the same country of what he became starting year 5. The kid has potential and played decent enough. He may not have Bud's high ceiling in accordance to the freakish athlete tag but he has in my opinion a fair amount of talent that will make him a pretty good piece moving forward.

21. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Probably true, but no reason to not float it out there, see if a team will give up a 6-7th so as not to let Nelson have his own choice. No downside to letting a possibly disgruntled player/ player you are going to cut for salary reasons try to initiate something in return.

22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Lol. Let’s look at it like this. Let’s say you have a six pack of beer and one of the cans actually falls on the ground and breaks open and is lost. Were you not better off when you had the full six pack?

• Like Like x 2
  23. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    6 pack? yes you'd be in a tight spot especially depending on your geographical location. Always carry a 30 box... You'll have unintended casualties covered!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    :facepalm: Since 2007 they have drafted
    Pouncey
    Timmons
    Woodley
    Bell
    AB
    DeCastro