1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Nelson given permission to seek trade

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    And you know this how?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    They're not connected but it begs the question why are you signing a free agent in an area you are mostly strong in but not a position of need?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Solid possession receiver, high character guy on a one year deal with 3 younger guys as well isn't a bad deal. The problem is they had no way forward if Nelson wanted more on an extension then they had. So it becomes you need to save money who is a likely cut candidate? Nelson's deal worth more than Hadens so that is what decided it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Cutting him is just stupid, but, Steelers.

5. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    The F.O. did this to themselves..... they made it clear that they were going to cut nelson if they couldn't find a trade partner...…….
    No GM with any common sense is gonna give up any draft assets knowing that all they have to do is wait and snatch him up after he's cut...
    our F.O. definitely is not invited to my poker table

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  6. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Personally I think Cam Sutton can be a legit starting CB in the league.

I like what I see from James Pierre.

Justin Layne I'm no so sold on, he needs to show more.

Pretty evident a draft pick is gonna be spent on a CB

• Like Like x 1
  7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Please no CB in the first round. :facepalm: All of the NFL ready CBs will be gone by the time the Steelers pick.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As most have said Nelson probably wanted more money and the Team tipped it's hand so no Team was going to trade for him...Nelson will probably get his money and we are going to draft a CB now for sure.

9. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    To maneuver free agency in a way which prioritizes drafting a corner with #1 draft pick is a dumb dumb move.

I'd of much rather kept Nelson and let JuJu walk.

Needless to say if they draft a CB with #1 I will be not be happy.

Whether people like the pick or not, this is really the year to pick a left tackle

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Nelson was under contract. Him wanting more money didn't matter has he was scheduled for 8.5 mill and wasn't going to hold out.

Moot point now he's gone.

The Steelers better be lining up a non drafted cb somewhere. We're trash at drafting cornerbacks

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I agree 100%. Try to get a starting caliber corner in Free Agency. Taking a CB in the mid-20's, 1st round is a huge gamble. NFL ready OTs will be hard to get in the 20's, too. But the Steelers have a better chance at landing a good OT where they are picking than CB. Hopefully, they've learned from the Burns situation. They can't keep reaching for CBs.

CBs are like QBs... unless they are in the top 10, they are pretty much projects.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'm eyeing up this Leatherwood. The dude's a mauler and legit LT.

Crossing my fingers he drops any other year he's a top 15 pick

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Really wish we could get to the bottom of this, does anyone do any investigative journalism anymore or just tweet all day. What decision is he referring to? No pay increase? Going with Sutton?

Once word got out that he was seeking a trade, it was never going to happen. Guess a tip of the cap towards the Steelers doing what was in Nelsons best interest, they could of dragged this out limiting Nelsons landing spots.

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    You did not know @Blast Furnace?!?!

Tweets and hot takes are the highest form of Jounalisitic Integrity!!!!

Just ask Mark Madden; the "Super Genius"!!!

15. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Keep juju at a position we don't need and let a starting cb walk at a position we desperately need.

I've been supportive of most moves thus far but this one isn't it.

Even if Cam Sutton plays decent on the outside there is no slot corner and no depth.

God forbid this team attempt to draft a corner with the 1st or 2nd round picks

The good news is I hear Artie Burns is looking for employment

16. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Dang, couldn't get anything for him?

17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    We saw the pass rush without Dupree once he was hurt last season. Highsmith simply isn't ready to play anywhere near Dupree's level yet. Maybe he will get there, but he isn't there now. Highsmith had two sacks last season, only one of them after taking over as the starter. Dupree had 11.5 sacks in his last full season as a starter and eight in 11 games last season. If I remember correctly, Dupree was leading the league in pressures from the blind side edge.

Highsmith graded out extremely well in one start against the Colts. That looks impressive until you remember that the Colts started that game without their top left tackle, and played the entire second half with a third-string guy.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    People really need to stop with what you wrote in bold. That wasn't the choice. Smith-Schuster's cap hit is very small for 2021. It didn't force them to move Nelson.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Why are people still correlating the two. JuJu’s signing did not prevent them from keeping Nelson. Whatever the reason is, hasn’t been divulged yet.

20. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    A position they don't need? 3rd year player in DJ who was plagued by nagging injuries and drops last season 2nd yr player in Claypool who had a phenomenal rookie campaign but hit the rookie wall by the end of the season. 4th yr player in Washington who was a beast when called upon but that wasn't often. And gadget player Ray-Ray. There is a lot of potential there but can it be harnessed? But for 1.5 million they get a solid possession receiver back to bridge the season to the next.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    money. every team has cut somebody because of the cap. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    One nitpick, Claypool didn’t hit the rookie wall as much as the coaching staff tried to prevent him from hitting the rookie wall which had the same effect as hitting the rookie wall. Well done coaches :applaud:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    agreed thorn. juju helps the rest of them be better. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree he was no where near what Dupree was last year.

But it is possible he takes a huge step forward this year. He was only a rookie. He showed some impressive stuff as a rookie I haven't seen in a while from other Steeler Rookie OLB's. I think mentally he clearly understands the game and will only get better/quicker in that regard. I don't expect a sophmore slump from him whatsoever.

My only concern with him is size/strength in run defense. Dupree is such a strong dude, that will be hard to replicate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He isn't a quality pass rusher in the NFL until he shows he can do it. He hasn't yet. Dupree proved it the last two years.

• Like Like x 1