1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

No need to watch this year, this team isn't serious about a SB(Nelson >> Juju)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Mar 20, 2021.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    In the end it doesn’t matter anyways. Ben and Tomlin have shown me what this team is capable of. Just a waiting game at this point now...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Not sure if you are being optimistic or pessimistic with this one BBH. :hmm:

• Like Like x 3
  3. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Oh boy. No need to watch this year? The OP shouldn't be here if he feels this way. No need to talk football at all if this is what the OP believes.

No fan knows the all dynamics at play. We can only guess. The Steelers resigned players who they believe fit into the current salary capp structure. They want to attempt to be competitive next season. It appears that Nelson wants a raise. Maybe Nelson is asking for to much? Maybe the Steelers are not willing to offer long term extensions with the uncertain short term salary capp situation right now? There are other factors.

Just because the Steelers and Juju reached an agreement doesn't mean they are not serious about contending next season. The Steelers got a quality person and player for below his market value for at least one more season. Fans.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Nelson is a solid corner, hate losing him but I think the dispute is contractual and was coming regardless of whether juju came back or not. I’m convinced they were talking extension, he wanted too much and the talks broke down. Steelers don’t want to carry his current salary so they told him to look for a trade.

Haden and one of Sutton / Pierre / Layne will play corner next year, slot I’m not sure but they will figure it out. If one of Pierre or Layne can win one corner spot then Sutton can continue in the slot, solving the problem to an extent.

Next year they will have some money to spend. I dont want them to go off on a Patriots style bender signing everyone in sight, but they should definitely look for a really good corner in free agency to underpin that secondary for the next couple of years and replace Haden.

This year was always going to be tricky after they went all in last year. The defence will be ok if they can have a relatively normal year in terms of injuries. Last year was a disaster on that front.

Offence will be mostly about Ben. If he can play better and actually throw downfield more who knows, I like the receiving Corps they have. If that happens and they can develop a running game then they could really get cooking.

My big worry is depth, their depth has been wiped out. Injuries are going to hurt much more than they did last year because the replacements won’t be near as good.

2021 is not a write off, every year there is a surprise team and the Steelers have a lot of good things going for them. Yes they have some flaws. So much depends on Ben

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe it's time for some change on defense, Nelson got used and abused trying to cover Stefon Diggs last season, JuJu is the better football player.

• Like Like x 2
  6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    :facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Did any of those guys make any plays against the Browns in the playoffs? JuJu sure did :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    So does this mean you're going to go on another one of your fake boycotts :lolol:?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Well the OP has been boycotting the NFL, The Steelers, probably Lowes, The Zoo, Mexican Food and perhaps even Pizza at this point. Seems to always have negativity in his life. If he's so disgusted watching this team then he should choose another past time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Once you are down 28 nothing, receiving stats are pretty much garbage.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree, but People don't judge Daks , or Watson passing stats that way. Plus JuJu was pretty much our bright point in that game.

12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yes

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    How's that fence?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I generally agree with the first paragraph. I think you're off base with your assessment in the second paragraph. They might be a better team with Nelson over Juju, but keeping one had nothing to do with potentially losing the other. Juju might have learned from them two idiots that being a fool is tacitly permitted by Tomlin. But, your comment about the Pens is way off base. The Pens have made mistakes, but they've also won three Stanley Cups since the Steelers have won a Lombardi. I don't know how that is prioritizing fan sentiment over championships.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    If Nelson is not there that will open up $8.25 million in cap room. I would look for the Steelers to use that money to bring in a free agent CB.

With that kind of money in 2021 the could probably bring in ADOREE' JACKSON with a multi year deal.

There are still a lot of older Corners on the market as well to replace Nelson next year.

16. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Ad in that JuJu is just 24. that's 24 with 5 years of experience in the NFL...

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I totally disagree with OP, I think the Steelers are trying
    their best to put a competitive team on the field. Don't forget there are still
    moves that can happen clear up to week one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The boat is taking on water.

I don't feel that the Juju Tok signing was warranted.

Nelson was looking to be extended, restructured with a pay raise. Our starting #2. They said seek a trade. Reality. The Sutton signing was key.

20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I believe Ben just threw another pick...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  21. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    The Penguins, he did say the Penguins right? I could have sworn they won 2 straight Cups in recent years. And up till the BS season due to the pandemic I believe they had most years in a row making the Playoffs. Maybe this thread is about the Pirates.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  22. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I get this strange feeling Ben knew this was going to happen all along. Players talk amongst themselves and there is more intrigue behind the scenes then meets the eye. It still comes down to $$$. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    What's those guys excuse on defense you mentioned before the score was 28-0, I don't recall any of them making a play?

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011

25. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Bengals got the real deal under center, how they build on it remains to be seen. I'm not sold on the Ravens being the best in division. Just for fun if I had to take a guess on how 2021 will play out I'd go with the Browns on top. Then Ravens and then Bengals and our boys fighting it out for 3rd place.

• Disagree Disagree x 1