1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Conner stay?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Busman, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Wondering if Conner will stay a Steeler. I have not seen any news on him

2. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Hope not. Better be super cheap if they bring him back.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    At this point, I don't think there's much of a market for him. Hell, there's not much of a market for JuJu. With his injury history, he's a big gamble. It's not a matter of if he stays healthy for a season, but when will he be unavailable to your offense. And it's a damned shame. He's got the heart, desire, and ability to be a very good back in this league. He just can't stay on the field to prove it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Even if I wanted to argue with you, I see your avatar and just nod in agreement. The unlimited power of cleavage is undeniable. :bowdown:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    The draft is very deep at rb and wr...... No one will overpay for Connor with so much talent available to draft...... Juju has a better chance of being signed as he has had elite production and is a proven commodity

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Speaking of JuJu, wouldn't it be ironic for him to sign with TB and rejoin AB on the field where he posted his best numbers. Just a thought. And a morbid one at that. :shrug:

7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Has TB even resigned ab??

8. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Nah but probably his most probable landing spot and for less money than he feels he deserves. But he did get that ring and a big SB bonus (unfortunately).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    How dare you!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

NOPE

• Like Like x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Has to be a humbling week for both Conner and JuJu.

Doesn’t make sense financially to bring Conner back, only reason they might is if they feel more comfortable with him working in with the draft pick as he gets up to speed. I doubt it though, Benny is good enough and McFarland will see his workload increase in year two and playing under Canada.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    They were talking about this on ESPN radio this morning how (especially the receivers) Over valued themselves this year without taking into account what the market and cap would be. Probably one of the best points brought up was Teams looking at it possibly as (are the top 5 FA's better than the Top 5 prospects coming out of the draft?). In JuJu's case even if the pandemic didn't happen and the cap did not go down i still think he over valued himself.

As far as conner goes i watched him alot last season closely and noticed he was like a junior high running back a lot of times. The play called to hit this hole and as soon as he touched the ball he put his head down and thats where he went. No vision at all, if your supposed to go here and there are 5 bodies in your way it would at least make sense to try and go around them and not run into them and take yourself down. He is a great story and seems like a nice guy but he really is not that great of a running back. He is not that fast, he isn't very shifty, does not have great vision and is not the bulldozer he thinks he is. Mix that in with his injury history and i just don't see him getting much interest. I honestly don't think he will be able to stay healthy enough to stay in the league much longer.

13. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    If the Steelers resign Conner, don't draft a back, and let JuJu walk I hope Ben says "You know what, F it" and retires, sticking them with a $35M dead money cap hit.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  15. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    What was the question?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    When you get the ball with either your lineman's back or a defensive lineman's chest in your face, it's kind of hard to do much with it. You cannot indict JC for 2020 performance. There were no holes to run through, unless you mean your linemen's buttholes. He is just as fast as Lev Bell was when he was here. He has shown he can make people miss. He has shown he can "get skinny" and take on hits. He has no problem with vision. He, just like the other backs last season, was hung out to dry with terrible OL play. Not his fault or an indication of what he is, or is not, capable of. Health issues aside, he's a very good back.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I totally agree with this, but like you said Health issues. Everytime you turn around he's injured.
    Sucks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I'm bleh about Conner. If they keep him on the cheap, ok, whatever. If he walks, I'm fine with that as well. Juju is a good, solid second receiver and nothing more. Teams probably feel as if they can draft a similar player and of course pay him a lot less. I think he'll eventually sign with someone but for a great deal less than he expected. I hope the Steelers do not resign him. They need so much help elsewhere and they need the cap space Juju would be a luxury.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Generating a burst of speed and power from a standing still position in shotgun is tough to do. Conner struggled with it, Snell struggled with it and McFarland and Ray Ray struggled with it. In order to run draws and delays from the shotgun the defense has to buy that it is a pass play. This draws the LB into coverage and opens space to run. It also allows the center and both guards to get a push to create a hole. It wasn't happening much last season if at all.

The other problem as ppl are saying was horrid OL play and it was just horrible. Fieler moving to guard was just stupid. He was used to being on the end of the line and having a TE or extra lineman help on chip blocks then all he had to do was push the edge rusher around the outside while Ben completed a short quick pass. Moving him to LG with no time to train him properly and Sarret not doing a good job preparing his group. More than half the time Fieler couldn’t identify who his man was an would attempt to help dbl with Pouncey or AV not realizing he was leaving a gap for a defender to get pressure. Pouncey was done and had zero push, there were times Decastro got his 2nd level block only to see Pouncey get driven back and a defender slide in to stuff the RB.

Now if they want to get back to a successful rushing attack they need to study what Baltimore and Cleveland do to the Steelers defense. It's almost text book. The QB is under center, at the snap the LG, C, RG, and RT along with maybe a TE sell motion right and sell it hard. Everything points to an off tackle run play in that direction. The LT then turns left slightly and seals his man outside. By this time Vince Williams has already guessed the rb's path and jumped up into the gap leaving Bush or a safety or whoever is in at ILB out to dry. Lamar has two options fake the hand off roll left and run through the gap created by the motion or hand it to Edwards or Dobbins who slow down slightly and take the wide open cut back gap. Cleveland ran the same plays and had success because the aggressive 3-4 scheme Pittsburgh uses falls for the motion every time and Vince and Bush rarely hold their ground and follow the ball carrier but instead guess and jump to gaps to early.

They could have the bus reborn and without the OL play it would have still sucked. Conner struggled but it wasn't from lack of trying.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  20. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Conner limps after every other run... no thanks

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Signing Conner would signal reverse. I like the kid and when healthy he can tote the rock, but when is he not injured?

Time to move forward. Etienne...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with the unfortunately comment. It just bugs me that he was practically rewarded for his antics. Leading up to the Super Bowl he did an interview where they asked him about his opportunity for a comeback. He started on a small rant about being the victim. I don't know if Tampa got it under wraps quickly, or if the NFL did because it didn't seem to get a lot of air time.

• Like Like x 1
  23. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I am really hoping the Steelers somehow end up with Travis Etienne as their first round pick. If they do I think they need to pair him with a veteran back, at least in his first year.

If he ends up being cheap enough, James Conner could be that back. In a way he would be a perfect compliment to Etienne. Being a second option may help keep JC30 healthy. Etienne, Conner, and McFarland would be a pretty nice platoon of backs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Conner showed early in the season that he could still carry the ball. The team as a whole was running the ball well and was very balanced. Something happened, be it our idiot OC or the OL scheme, that caused the rushing game to just dropped off the cliff

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    One early game in the season, Conner just disappeared.
    Couldn't figure out if it was an injury or what. He seemed angry pacing on the sideline. I thought maybe he took a hit to the head.
    It just seemed like his season was going ok then just fell apart.
    Did he get hurt?
    Did he get blamed for not hitting the poor holes the Oline tried to open?