1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers Have Won 5 SBs with a 1st RD RB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    Steelers have Won 5 Super Bowl titles with a RB taken in the first round of the draft, Bettis was acquired via trade , but he was the 10th overall pick when he was selected. Also, They made it to another SB against GB with a 1st round RB. Why do people on this board think you can just draft a center and benny snell rushes for 2k yards? A true 3 down RB is important. Just look within the division at the talent at RB the Browns and Ravens have, Nick Chubb completely changed the browns and they also have another back that's won a rushing title, they have a good o line but not everyone is doing what he can do just simply due to the O Line. Josh Dobbins was 2nd round pick but easily a first round talent that somehow fell. The Steelers should seriously take a feature back in the first even if it means moving up a few spots. Ben really needs a stud at RB this year or it's 5-11. Some one that can move the chains, some one that has power, and is not a slow one dimensional player

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not 2 Argue, but...
    1. Different times , RB is not valued the same. Not saying this is right, or wrong.
    2. Yeah that has really helped the Ravens, and Browns win many SB
    3. How many SB has a team with a Rb (they)picked in the 1st round won a SB in the last .... I don't know let's say....20 years?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    ???? Was Fornett a first round RB:hmm::smiley1:

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You are correct, but He won with TB. They didn't spend a 1st round pick on him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steelers304

Aug 29, 2015
    I was referring the the Steelers and how the RB position has obviously been super important, now more than ever with QB with diminishing skills and uncertainty at QB. In the last 20 years for the Ravens.. Jamal Lewis, Priest Holmes, and Ray Rice. Obviously not all first round picks, but very good backs. Not a benny snell or james connor type. No big deal i suppose. The RBs on the Browns completely shifted their offense and how they are able to dominate on the ground and have successful play action. They put almost 50 on the Steelers last year, meh who cares. Now the Browns and Ravens are trending upwards due to being dominate on the ground, both were top 5 in rushing TDs and YPC, with the ravens leading the league. It's not Baker or Lamar's Arm winning those games. RB is only undervalued by casuals

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I guess SB winning GMs are casuals .
    Also J. Lewis was the only 1st, but you said that.
    21 years ago.
    I'm not saying your wrong. I'm saying recent History is not in favor of it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Guess i misunderstood the ? thought it was how many teams won SB with a first round RB , not how many teams won with the RB they drafted in the first round ...lol;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We may get a good RB in round #1 , but I would not trade up for one.. Most Teams don't value the RB position as high as they used to..I like Etienne if he falls I doubt he will , I not so high on Harris as is it him or his great OL . I would take Williams over Harris , but I think he goes off the board first at the RB position...The next RB I like is Gainwell he can be got in the 2nd. maybe..

I hope it does go Williams then Harris and Etienne may just be there..

• Like Like x 1
  9. Steelers304

Aug 29, 2015
    9 of the top 12 rushing teams made the playoffs. Both teams in the SB had 1st round picks at the RB position. Actually, the both had a great stable of RBs. Mahomes makes half a billion and they didn't even score a TD. Baltimore and CLE are top 3 total rushing teams. The Steelers need a stud so they can play complimentary football or they're finished in this division. The ideas of grabbing a JAG in the 4th round is what gets you more often than not a James Conner , Benny Snell, McFarland. Hoping to find a diamond in the rough is a bad idea for the Steelers a this point in time. Steelers came in dead last in rushing last year.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I wouldn’t be surprised if both Harris and Entienne drop to the 2nd.

Look back at the previous drafts, not a lot of RB’s go in the first rd. Last year CEH went 32. Dobbins, Swift, Taylor and Dillion all went Rd 2.

2019 only Josh Jacobs was drafted in Rd 1, he had a nice year but nothing wow worthy, should have been drafted in the 2nd.

You have to go back to 2018 just to find more than 1 drafted in the 1st and 2 of them shouldn’t have been. Barkley went 2 overall and then Penny and Michal towards the end of the rd.

I like Harris but don’t think he is Barkley, one ran for Alabama and one ran for Penn State. I wouldn’t be upset if they drafted him in the first but I wouldn’t move up for him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Is past prologue?

How often are 1st round RBs on Super Bowl Champ teams? How many contributed? Franco and Emmitt Smith are one thing, but, How many like Bettis and Fournette were along for the ride?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Causation/correlation. The shift in schemes over the years has lead to other positions becoming first round priority for most teams. So while a solid running game is still needed in today's game, buidling one does not necessarily require a first round RB.

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    They do need a better back than Conner / Snell but we must remember those guys were running in to stacked boxes all last year.

Improving the blocking and making teams respect the pass is just as important as getting a good running back. Ideally they will do both in this draft.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Who the hell is Josh Dobbins?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

He’s the illegitimate son of Josh Dobbs and Christopher Robin

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  16. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Josh Dobbs and Tony Robbins. They wanted someone that could fully realize their internal potential.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think Steelers fans are counting on Snell to be the feature back, most fans have been saying they need to draft a RB early this year.

18. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I agree, it doesn't matter who the back is when the D can stack the box because of a one dimensional O, ie "One Trick Pony".

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  19. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Ewwww. What would Pooh think about that?

• Like Like x 1
  20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Willie parker?:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  21. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    We won 6 sb's with a first rd qb

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not that ..we spent a 1st pick on.
    UH. Just seen Qb.
    You are very correct, and I'm Drunk.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    If there is a franchise center when their number is called, then he needs to be the pick. RB no higher than 2nd round. I agree they need a good RB, but they need to be way better at run blocking more than they have been the last several years. Trying to cobble a line together out of what they have plus plucking other teams castoffs isn't going to cut it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Dose not matter who we have as a r.b. as long as Ben continous to throw three times on 1st and goal to go or less.

25. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I wouldn't be throwing stuff at the screen if they drafted one of the two top running backs with the first.

I probably would be doing so though if they did not take a tackle with the 2nd.

Without them reaching at a position, I'd be good with them drafting an OT and a OC/OG with the 1st two picks however I think that position is still in dire need. The Finney signing definitely helps.